‘elastic Brexit"

McSlaggart

"The way of minimising those restrictions would be to ensure that Northern Ireland’s divergence from EU standards (such as it will be once outside the EU) will not occur in the areas that are of most significance for north-south trade. An ‘elastic Brexit’, if you will, could see the UK as a whole exiting the EU but with specific flexibilities for Northern Ireland as its point of direct connection to the EU."

An

On the back of the Bombardier and Schlumberger cutting a total of 500 jobs in North should 1 Unionism start to accept a EU all Island approach to the economy?

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/manufacturing/bombardier-and-schlumberger-cut-total-of-500-jobs-in-north-1.3269898

jams odonnell

"The way of minimising those restrictions would be to ensure that Northern Ireland’s divergence from EU standards (such as it will be once outside the EU) will not occur in the areas that are of most significance for north-south trade. An ‘elastic Brexit’, if you will, could see the UK as a whole exiting the EU but with specific flexibilities for Northern Ireland as its point of direct connection to the EU."

An

On the back of the Bombardier and Schlumberger cutting a total of 500 jobs in North should 1 Unionism start to accept a EU all Island approach to the economy?

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/manufacturing/bombardier-and-schlumberger-cut-total-of-500-jobs-in-north-1.3269898
I do hope you will forgive me for saying that this form of elastic and flexible thinking is essentially Roman Catholic in origin. It is not consistent with British Values.

statsman

I do hope you will forgive me for saying that this form of elastic and flexible thinking is essentially Roman Catholic in origin. It is not consistent with British Values.
Which is why it might actually work.

McSlaggart

Some of my favourite writers and thinkers was Protestant and British so I do not see how you can define them as not dynamic in their thinking.

CastleRay

I'd be interested to hear what makes you say that.

between the bridges

P.ie alert, somewan used the 'Roman' prefix, await in coming...

mac tíre

Jams is a bit of a hero round these parts; he knows the score.

McSlaggart

An

This makes far too much sense for the DUP types .... best of both worlds .. "no way brethern" :roll: infantile bigoted insular tossers..
"The border with Northern Ireland, which will be the UK’s only land frontier with the EU after its departure, is one of three issues Brussels wants broadly solved before talks on trade can start in December at the earliest."
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-ireland/ireland-says-brexit-talks-cant-move-on-without-clarity-over-border-idUKKBN1CW0UM

I do not think the British have a clue what they are going to propose on the border.

Mickeymac

"The border with Northern Ireland, which will be the UK’s only land frontier with the EU after its departure, is one of three issues Brussels wants broadly solved before talks on trade can start in December at the earliest."
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-ireland/ireland-says-brexit-talks-cant-move-on-without-clarity-over-border-idUKKBN1CW0UM

I do not think the British have a clue what they are going to propose on the border.

The Irish are insisting on this being resolved and agreed before the Brits can start to even talk about trade deals with the EU.

AhNowStop

Not a notion ... but we know what they'd "like" to propose...

The easy, best of both worlds option is there but the crackpots wont have it ... far too sensible :shock: ...

anything that even remotely looks like being 1 ounce different from the precious "mainland" :roll: is "out of the question" ... insecure bigoted imbeciles :?

the sad thing is the "mainland" couldnt give one fiddlers about them....

jams odonnell

I'd be interested to hear what makes you say that.
Ulster Protestants excelled in shipbuilding and other nineteenth century industries which required attention to detail and perseverence. Southern Roman Catholics are much better at finance, software development etc and other types of creative risk-taking which harness their essential devil-may-care attitude in the workplace.

In some ways, this is analagous to the situation in Germany where Southern German BMWs are stylish and exciting cars (but rather unreliable). Northen German Volkswagens, on the other hand, have basic equipment levels and dark interiors (but are very reliable indeed). The religious outlook of the workers shines through the product.

Last edited:

Se0samh

Ulster Protestants excelled in shipbuilding and other nineteenth century industries which required attention to detail and perseverence. Southern Roman Catholics are much better at finance, software development etc and other types of risk-taking which harness their devil-may-card attitude in the workplace.

In some ways, this is analagous to the situation in Germany where Southern German BMWs are stylish and exciting cars (but rather unreliable). Northen German Volkswagens, on the other hand, have basic equipment levels and dark interiors (but are very reliable indeed). The religious outlook of the workers shines through the product.

:lol:

between the bridges

Ulster Protestants excelled in shipbuilding and other nineteenth century industries which required attention to detail and perseverence. Southern Roman Catholics are much better at finance, software development etc and other types of risk-taking which harness their devil-may-card attitude in the workplace.

BWM's are proddy cars? Thon explains the red white and blue badges...

AhNowStop

Ulster Protestants excelled in shipbuilding and other nineteenth century industries which required attention to detail and perseverence. Southern Roman Catholics are much better at finance, software development etc and other types of creative risk-taking which harness their essential devil-may-care attitude in the workplace.

lmao :lol:

mac tíre

Jams is a bit of a hero round these parts; he knows the score.

Thus.

CastleRay

Thanks. I'm not sure I agree with such stereotyping though.

New Threads

Most Replies