• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Elderly caller to Liveline says he will stage sit-in at his local Post Office, and asks others to do so

ShoutingIsLeadership

Elderly caller to Liveline says he will stage sit-in at his local Post Office, and asks others to do so

On liveline now.

'Jimmy', aged 72, says he is proud to pay his taxes, but will not be paying this property tax.

He says if he has the tax deducted from his pension, he will sit in at his local post office.

Is this property tax the final straw, as indicated by Leo Varadkar earlier today?

Meanwhile, speaking today, Varadkar had this to say of Martin:

"Let me say something about Micheál Martin, and his comments today prove to me why Fianna Fail are hypocrites that can't be trusted. This is a man who was a senior person in a government that introduced the Universal Social Charge, that abolished the Christmas bonus, that cut the pension for the blind and the disabled, and actually agreed with us to introduce the property tax. So him to say now he is suddenly feeling our pain is a bit rich, quite frankly."
http://www.newstalk.ie/reader/47.305.360/3418/blog_list/---Leo-Varadkar:-"Fianna-Fail-are-hypocrites-that-can't-be

http://www.thejournal.ie/leo-varadkar-property-tax-evade-823754-Mar2013/

Last edited:
D

Dylan2010

Might be nice to see grey power doing the rest of us a favour for a change

The Salmon of Knowledge

Fair play to this man. The pensioners showing the people of this state how to stand up for themselves yet again!

Those on social welfare should consider similar options and workers should look at their banks and work stoppages official or unofficial.

Dublin 4

Shout - have ya got alink to Lee V please? :p

publicrealm

On liveline now.

'Jimmy', aged 72, says he is proud to pay his taxes, but will not be paying this property tax.

He says if he has the tax deducted from his pension, he will sit in at his local post office.

Is this property tax the final straw, as indicated by Leo Varadkar earlier today?

Meanwhile, speaking today, Varadkar had this to say of Martin:

http://www.newstalk.ie/reader/47.305.360/3418/blog_list/---Leo-Varadkar:-"Fianna-Fail-are-hypocrites-that-can't-be
For me it is the final straw.

Have paid massive amount of tax over a full working lifetime - compliant to the last cent. No longer though.

They can come and get me.

Bridget558

This tax has nothing to do with an post, and oaps have got the least amount of cuts the past 5 years.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Seems to be a lot of anger about this property tax.

People who paid stamp duty seem to find it particularly hard to stomach.

ShoutingIsLeadership

This tax has nothing to do with an post, and oaps have got the least amount of cuts the past 5 years.
He collects his pension from the post office, so presumably that's why he is choosing there to stage his protest.

Bren Boru

No, the last straw is a growing budget deficit leading the country not being able to fund itself at some stage in the near future.

ShoutingIsLeadership

For me it is the final straw.

Have paid massive amount of tax over a full working lifetime - compliant to the last cent. No longer though.

They can come and get me.
I've heard this quite a bit. As revenue has the power to deduct it at source, can you see a way you can avoid it?

Franzoni

I reckon this is going to put the poll tax riots in the UK during the 90's into the halfpenny place.....in fact it will be even more dangerous because it will wipe out the Labour party making it harder for coalition governments to be put together making politics in this kip unstable.......

Of course Gimmemore and fat Rabbitte don't give a mebollix once they get their piece of the pie when they retire.....

ShoutingIsLeadership

A woman on now saying when she went to MABS looking for financial advice, and she was told by them to get her two dogs put down to save money!

Franzoni

No , but if 200,000 or 400,000 took to the streets revenue and this junta would quickly change their tune.

If they saw a jump in the share price of the Acme blue rope company they would change their tune..........

Ribeye

Are ye listening to LiveLine?

"I thought this was supposed to be a free country"

This is it folks,

The people have had enough, about fckn time,

Oh, and fck you Duffy you mutated lying propagandist scum!

Bren Boru

Seems to be a lot of anger about this property tax.

People who paid stamp duty seem to find it particularly hard to stomach.
I paid €36k in stamp duty in 2009. So be it.

However, if there had been a sustainable tax base in place at the time, including a form of property tax, I wouldn't have had to pay so much in stamp duty.

Stamp duty was how the Government funded the country in the "noughties". It doesn't work.