Elderly couple separated by HSE

Dame_Enda

Last edited:

Half Nelson

There are some heartless bastards out there.

myrak

"Should the law require spouses be kept together if they can pay"
Surely it has nothing to do with the law. If elderly couples wish to be together then together they should be. And if they are happy apart who wants a law that could force them together.

Where is it written that marriage is to have and to hold till the HSE do them part!

Elder care is supposed to be person centred but the truth is it becoming more tick box centred with every passing year.

razorblade

Of course all couples deserve to be with each other, the HSE are a ************************************g disgrace.

damus

And if one or both die from a broken heart, job done. One has to ask at which point do these sort of policies become abuse?

former wesleyan

It came up on Liveline. Apparently Simon Harris is getting involved so expect a quick(ish) resolution .

Felixness

It's a bloody disgrace. Whoever made that decision should be fired. Hopefully they'll get reunited very soon.

Florence

I heard the husband on Liveline, distraught about the situation. I was close to tears. Unbelievable that the HSE has apparently ignored medical opinion that his wife needs 24/7 care as he does and is only prepared to supply her with a few hours from carers sent to her home.

stopdoingstuff

That is abominable but indicative of what the future will hold for many old people.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
The irony of so many people screaming for same sex marriage....and here we have a couple married for longer than some people live being forced apart in the twilight of their lives. I do not hear the screaming yet. Where is the equality, justice for all etc.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
It's a bloody disgrace. Whoever made that decision should be fired. Hopefully they'll get reunited very soon.
I would like to know who made the decision? can we find out? It is inane that these tax paid admins are unaccountable for their actions. Was it one of these cs dept's that get a 100% mark for a job well done. What has this country become at all.

effer

That is abominable but indicative of what the future will hold for many old people.
They will be put down for being a burden for so long. I mean they're not going to be contributing to the economy so what's the point of spending money on them?

damus

Care home separations 'may breach human rights' - Telegraph

Help the Aged said it was "not unusual" for authorities to separate couples by ruling that one was eligible for a subsidised place in a care home while the other was not.

But this constituted a potential breach of Article 8 of the Act, which gives everyone the right to "respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence".
So it may breach Article 8 of the ECHR.

ellie08

What a horribly mean bureaucratic organisation the HSE is. Wasn't long ago there was a Primetime report on the Manager of an home for mentally disabled people being sat on on - by the manager of the place!

LDF

It came up on Liveline. Apparently Simon Harris is getting involved so expect a quick(ish) resolution .
Haven't they suffered enough? If posing for a photo with Harris is the price they pay for staying together they might well decide to separate.

effer

What a horribly mean bureaucratic organisation the HSE is. Wasn't long ago there was a Primetime report on the Manager of an home for mentally disabled people being shat on on - by the manager of the place!

LDF

Wouldn't it be marvellous if fixing the broken parts of our health service didn't depend on a radio talk show and a media whore of a Minister who seems to care passionately for an issue for only so long as it's attracting newspaper print.

Karloff

The State should not separate them, that is cruel. Their being together is a component of their physical and mental health which the State is ignoring.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies