• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Elected Mayor Plebiscite updates

Lord Talbot

Maybe ask a proper city if it wants an executive mayor before worrying about these glorified provincial towns which don't really need one.

Ireland doing it backwards as usual.

Dame_Enda

RTE saying looks like all 3 mayoral plebiscites may be lost.

wombat

Must admit that I would like to see the U.S. system of elected mayors running cities, when they f.. up, they get fired.

General Urko

General Urko

If all 3 have been lost, it's been a great day for ordinary citizens and paradoxically for democracy.
Imagine a group of masterbaters won't be able to pull Savage salaries and get obscene pensions leeched out of our backs!

Baron von Biffo

It's really astonishing that those parts of the country privileged enough to be offered the beginnings of true local government have all rejected it.

It probably all boiled down to petty begrudgery because it was proposed to pay mayors a reasonable salary.

And then people will tell you that the Irish are a sophisticated electorate.

General Urko

It's really astonishing that those parts of the country privileged enough to be offered the beginnings of true local government have all rejected it.

It probably all boiled down to petty begrudgery because it was proposed to pay mayors a reasonable salary.

A beyond comprehension salary most likely to an insider gobshyte who would be more @ home in a creche or an old folks home! And then there would be unvouched for expenses and ultimately a massive pension as a reward for incompetence.
And the spouse or sprogz in the office as admin also paid for!

Baron von Biffo

A beyond comprehension salary most likely to an insider gobshyte who would be more @ home in a creche or an old folks home! And then there would be unvouched for expenses and ultimately a massive pension as a reward for incompetence.
You do understand that the proposal was for elected mayors?

General Urko

You do understand that the proposal was for elected mayors?
Yes but there would be know 'none of the above' on the ballot paper in those elections, so you would most likely always be left with a choice between the sort of talent we had for the presidential.
No, this is a sign, we have grown up politically after nearly a century away from The Britz!

Baron von Biffo

Yes but there would be know 'none of the above' on the ballot paper in those elections, so you would most likely always be left with a choice between the sort of talent we had for the presidential.
No, this is a sign, we have grown up politically after nearly a century away from The Britz!
What would prevent anyone who wanted to from putting themselves froward? You could even have a shot at it yourself and demonstrate your noble character by offering to do the job for minimum wage.

making waves

Wonders will never cease - I am agreeing with the general

Lagertha

In your opinion. What was being proposed wasn't democracy, what was being proposed was an obscenely paid job with obscene perks for an unnecessary job that the taxpayer would be expected to pay for. People aren't stupid, they know that the ballot for mayor would ultimately be loaded in favour of the usual trough dwellers.

Dame_Enda

In your opinion. What was being proposed wasn't democracy, what was being proposed was an obscenely paid job with obscene perks for an unnecessary job that the taxpayer would be expected to pay for. People aren't stupid, they know that the ballot for mayor would ultimately be loaded in favour of the usual trough dwellers.
Is it worse than having unelected county/city managers?

Lagertha

The only difference is that someone who is allegedly elected would be paid an obscene salary, give a chauffeur and paid an absurd pension. People aren't stupid, they know that the job of mayor is pretty much a symbolic one and I think if you gave people the choice of paying for a mayor or spending that money on something that they'd actually value then you'd find that the role of mayor disappeared eventually.

Dame_Enda

The only difference is that someone who is allegedly elected would be paid an obscene salary, give a chauffeur and paid an absurd pension. People aren't stupid, they know that the job of mayor is pretty much a symbolic one and I think if you gave people the choice of paying for a mayor or spending that money on something that they'd actually value then you'd find that the role of mayor disappeared eventually.
The plan though is for the elected mayor to have some of the powers of the current Chief Executive of the Council. Its not planned to just make him directly elected with the same powers as now.

The current structure of the local govt executive is confusing. Decisions are often ascribed to the council, when in fact unelected officials - not elected ones - are making them.

Lagertha

The plan though is for the elected mayor to have some of the powers of the current Chief Executive of the Council. Its not planned to just make him directly elected with the same powers as now.

The current structure of the local govt executive is confusing. Decisions are often ascribed to the council, when in fact unelected officials - not elected ones - are making them.
Have you ever been at any Council meetings? I have and I can tell you that if anyone is wondering who to vote for in a general election they should go and sit in the public area at a meeting or 2 and they'll see a very different side to the smiling faces on the campaign posters. Anyone entering politics does if for personal gain, not the interests of the public. People aren't naive enough to believe otherwise.

They know that the guys and gals knocking their door hoping for a vote will tell them whatever it is they want to hear but once elected will blame the failings of their predecessors for being unable to fulfill the pre election pledges that they made. It doesn't matter if someone is elected or not. If you don't think that the usual suspects will find a way to ensure that their preferred candidate is in office you should rethink things. Personally, I vote for people who have a proven track record of delivering for the town and the county, the promises others make are neither here nor there.

Disillusioned democrat

Elections are bizarre things - beauty parades where name recognition, PR budget and media connections can achieve results where talent and experience cannot - when "elections" make Frances Fitzgerald my representative in the EU I begin to question the whole process to be honest - we know she's either incompetent or corrupt, but 20% of the population still give her a first preference.

I'd be far more confident that the Public Appointments Service would do a good job ensuring that the best shortlist of qualified candidates was interviewed by people with an expert understanding of the role in a transparent process and select the most qualified candidate based on experience, qualification and track record.

Baron von Biffo

Elections are bizarre things - beauty parades where name recognition, PR budget and media connections can achieve results where talent and experience cannot - when "elections" make Frances Fitzgerald my representative in the EU I begin to question the whole process to be honest - we know she's either incompetent or corrupt, but 20% of the population still give her a first preference.

I'd be far more confident that the Public Appointments Service would do a good job ensuring that the best shortlist of qualified candidates was interviewed by people with an expert understanding of the role in a transparent process and select the most qualified candidate based on experience, qualification and track record.
What, in your opinion, would qualify someone to be a candidate for election to the EP?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies