Election Posters

mike cubbard

Anyone got an opinion on last Monday's decision by the council to bring in a voluntary ban on posters ?

Mike

Bobert

Agreed. However it will be spun to say that you're ruining Galway's image in the Yacht racing circuit.

Oh and Mike, nice rebuttal. ;)

COMMIE

What ban is this? Has anybody a link?

Bobert

What ban is this? Has anybody a link?
On account fo the Volvo Yacht race coming to Galway, the members of Galway County Council have opted to implement a voluntary ban, really it's just a gentleman's agreement as it's not an official law, on putting up election posters. You'll read about it in tomorrow's advertiser.

COMMIE

This is only Voluntary. And as most people have purchased thier posters allready. It will be ignored.

Bobert

COMMIE

Just for your information. I am from East Galway.

mike cubbard

I must question the motive of some of the councillors in their attempt to bring in this ban. I, as an Independent candidate, am entitled to put my posters up in an effort to let the electorate know who is standing before them in the election and I should not be discriminated against for doing so.

I believe many of these councillors are quite nervous coming into election time and fear their seat being taken. This is why they tried to bully the Independents and new candidates like myself and back us into a corner and in doing so ensuring they played to the gallery and to the media present on the night. This council have had almost five years to discuss this issue, I find it laughable how it now becomes before the council a couple of weeks prior to polling day.

What this mounts to is that certain councillors are trying to turn the public against the likes of myself, as I’m sure once a poster goes up, there will be a certain degree of anger out there. This will be the fault of the council for passing such a ridiculous motion and generating this anger in the hope to keep their seats.

I will be putting up my election posters and in doing so will do it proudly, as I am proud to stand before the electorate as their Independent candidate, their independent voice and I will not be quietened or deterred as a result of this cheap shot by a handful of councillors.

I will however respect the green dragon route and will not put my posters up in the dock area and will also refrain from putting them up in Eyre Square. As a new face to politics in Galway, I feel I need to let the public know who I am, this is why I will be putting my posters up in the coming weeks around Galway City Central.

Oh ya, cheers Bobert !

wysiwyg

I must question the motive of some of the councillors in their attempt to bring in this ban. I, as an Independent candidate, am entitled to put my posters up in an effort to let the electorate know who is standing before them in the election and I should not be discriminated against for doing so.

I believe many of these councillors are quite nervous coming into election time and fear their seat being taken. This is why they tried to bully the Independents and new candidates like myself and back us into a corner and in doing so ensuring they played to the gallery and to the media present on the night. This council have had almost five years to discuss this issue, I find it laughable how it now becomes before the council a couple of weeks prior to polling day.

What this mounts to is that certain councillors are trying to turn the public against the likes of myself, as I’m sure once a poster goes up, there will be a certain degree of anger out there. This will be the fault of the council for passing such a ridiculous motion and generating this anger in the hope to keep their seats.

I will be putting up my election posters and in doing so will do it proudly, as I am proud to stand before the electorate as their Independent candidate, their independent voice and I will not be quietened or deterred as a result of this cheap shot by a handful of councillors.

I will however respect the green dragon route and will not put my posters up in the dock area and will also refrain from putting them up in Eyre Square. As a new face to politics in Galway, I feel I need to let the public know who I am, this is why I will be putting my posters up in the coming weeks around Galway City Central.

Oh ya, cheers Bobert !
Take no notice of the ban Mike... and put the posters up in Eyre Square and in the dock area, and wherever else you like (subject to public safety requirements)

I will be standing as an independent candidate in a district in South Tipperary, and that is what I will be doing.

Like you said, this is nothing more than the typical nonsense that already elected councillors come up with in an attempt to stymie new candidates and to cut down on election expenses themselves.

Be bold, brave and brash about it even. Go to the local radio and newspapers and make it absolutely clear that you are not accepting a ban. Try to get some idiot councillor on the local media to try to justify it, and then take them to shreds for trying to deny the public their democratic right to information. You'll get plenty free publicity out of it yourself.

Plus, trust me, if Galway is anything like Tipperary, there is very little appetite within the public for elected reps, and anyone telling them to go feck off, will attract support.

Go for it, and best of luck

COMMIE

I will be with my colleagues throughout Galway, will be putting up our election posters as we have in past years.

Tiernanator

same story where i am ,the big parties want the ban.

You can bet they do. Personally I like posters,there are some people who are so unaware that if there were no posters they wouldn't know that an election is about to happen. However my only bugbear is that they be kept up until the day of the election...then get them down as quickly as possible.

ergo2

There has been a voluntary ban on posters in Westport town over recent elections. Westport has won the Tidy Towns Competition a number of times recently and has a strong tourism trade for it's size.

wysiwyg

There has been a voluntary ban on posters in Westport town over recent elections. Westport has won the Tidy Towns Competition a number of times recently and has a strong tourism trade for it's size.
But who decides that the ban is voluntary ?

A similar "voluntary" ban has been in place in Cashel for a number of elections, but it's "voluntarily" agreed upon by the existing councillors themselves. And trust me, it's more to do with saving on election costs themselves, than "beautifying" the town and landscape.

It hampers the entry of new candidates, or candidates who aren't already elected, as such a ban restricts information of who is running. That is fundementally undemocratic.

A similar ban will be put in place at next months meeting of Cashel Town Council.. I will be completely ignoring it.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies