• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Electoral College watch - 2020 edition

NYCKY

Sleepless nights ahead for GOP
The GOP can sleep easy tonight given the Nevada Governors veto. I am sure they slept easy last night too though. Does anyone think this will ever become law? It's extremely dubious that it's even constitutional. There is a reason why it's only blue states that have adopted this, and California, NY and Illinois account for 55% of the 189 electoral votes on board so far. The compact has probably gotten as far as it will go.

States trying an end run around the electoral college without Congressional approval. I doubt that even a SCOTUS loaded with liberals would approve this, without Congressional approval it's unenforceable.

In the unlikely event that the states ever did get enough EC votes on board for it to take effect, what do you think would happen if a Democrat won the EC vote but lost the popular vote? How many of them would stay? to reject the will of their states voters. They would reject it quicker than you can say, we need to respect the Constitution and historical precedent.

Dame_Enda

The GOP can sleep easy tonight given the Nevada Governors veto. I am sure they slept easy last night too though. Does anyone think this will ever become law? It's extremely dubious that it's even constitutional. There is a reason why it's only blue states that have adopted this, and California, NY and Illinois account for 55% of the 189 electoral votes on board so far. The compact has probably gotten as far as it will go.

States trying an end run around the electoral college without Congressional approval. I doubt that even a SCOTUS loaded with liberals would approve this, without Congressional approval it's unenforceable.

In the unlikely event that the states ever did get enough EC votes on board for it to take effect, what do you think would happen if a Democrat won the EC vote but lost the popular vote? How many of them would stay? to reject the will of their states voters. They would reject it quicker than you can say, we need to respect the Constitution and historical precedent.
The Nevada governor vetoed that law.

Dame_Enda

owedtojoy

mPox3.png

270ToWin are producing their first maps - they call this one the 2020 Consensus Map, generally by majority of the people producing such maps.

This is what they call their Expanded Battleground map:

P6NVk.png

I notice Ohio is no longer considered a battleground, but leaning Republican. Virginia, a Southern state that voted for GW Bush, Dole, GHW Bush, Reagan, Ford and Nixon, is now leaning Democrat.

Note the Maine and Nebraska 2nd Congressional districts are considered Battlegrounds, and up for grabs.

I think the Consensus Map is closer to reality, and the candidates are going to be like Pink Floyd "running over the same old ground".

How I wish, how I wish you were here
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year
Running over the same old ground
And how we found
The same old fears
Wish you were here

"Wish You Were Here" (David Gilmour, Roger Waters)

Dame_Enda

NYCKY

These polls said Trump behind 13% in Wisconsin, 16% in Pennsylvania, 7% in Florida and only 2% ahead in Texas, Note this was March.
Indeed, March is ancient in terms of polling but still far too early to take polls seriously, particularly given the crowded Democratic primary.

Good article from the Hill here.

Landslide polls spark angst: These geniuses saw Clinton as 'unstoppable'

Democrats and Republicans alike are skeptical of early polls predicting a landslide victory for Democrat Joe Biden over President Trump on Election Day 2020.
“These same geniuses all predicted that Hillary Clinton was unstoppable and inevitable,” said Chris Kofinis, a Democratic pollster.
If it was 12 months from now and four months from the election, ok by then you have a nominee and a more defined campaign on both sides but as of now, this polling is just noise.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies