• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Electoral Reform in Irish Politics

Aquilius

Based on current projections in comparison with the previous two censuses undertaken in the Republic of Ireland by 2021 we will have a population of approximately 4,937,253 inhabitants - an increase of 175,388 people on 2016.

Based on these current projections and in keeping with the current constitution the state is required to have 1 TD per 20,000 to 30,000 inhabitants and malapportionment is forbidden may I add, thus resulting in the number of TD's increasing by 6 to 164 from the current 158.

Do we really need such a high number of representatives? I believe the sheer number of elected individuals present in the Dail chamber only feeds the problem Ireland has with 'parish-pump politics'.

As the stipulation with regards to Dail representation is within the constitution any change to it would require a referendum, so I ask you this;

Q. Would you be in favour of removing the current stipulation in the constitution..... and if so what would you favour to replace it?

My personal preference would be 1 TD per 50,000 with a view in which the need to merge counties into constituencies limited and only exercised if the required apportionment cannot be meet within a counties own boundaries.

Under my proposal outlined above the number of TD's would be reduced by 59 to 99 for 2021 projections - also under this system the reduction would be even further if you factored in the increase of 6 TD's, thus reducing the Dail by 65 seats.

NYCKY

It seems the Government, the various Governments over the years can organize all kinds of referenda on a myriad of topics to amend the constitution, sometimes with multiple referenda on the same day, sometimes re-voting on essentially the same topic a year later and sometimes on frivolous ideas like lowering the age of Presidential candidates or cutting the pay of a few hundred judges.....

.....but increasing the number of people per TD, well that's like complicated or something.

cricket

I would favour max of 100 TD's, irrespective of population.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
I don't really see any compelling case to change the current constitutional arrangements on parliamentary representation ... apart from abolishing the Seanad, that is. But that one won't be revisited again for a very long time.

I was reading posters on here the other day essentially blaming the useless Seanad on the politicians as a blanket group.

Some sections of the Irish electorate have a very, very short memory.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
It seems the Government, the various Governments over the years can organize all kinds of referenda on a myriad of topics to amend the constitution, sometimes with multiple referenda on the same day, sometimes re-voting on essentially the same topic a year later and sometimes on frivolous ideas like lowering the age of Presidential candidates or cutting the pay of a few hundred judges.....

.....but increasing the number of people per TD, well that's like complicated or something.
See above, on abolishing the Seanad. That proposal would have reduced the number of parliamentarians by far more than a reduction in the number of TDs could ever have done. What happened to that proposal? Was it the politicians who stymied it?

Clue: no, it wasn't.

wombat

See above, on abolishing the Seanad. That proposal would have reduced the number of parliamentarians by far more than a reduction in the number of TDs could ever have done. What happened to that proposal? Was it the politicians who stymied it?

Yes and no, the politicians did not support the proposal and were happy to go along with the crowd who wanted reform rather than abolition, ultimately it was saved by the " couldn't be ar5ed" section of the electorate. That's democracy for you.

hollandia

That's fine until you get to an unwieldy number of constituents per TD. It could work if the ability to operate the lever of the parish pump was removed at National level.

Deadlock

Yes and no, the politicians did not support the proposal and were happy to go along with the crowd who wanted reform rather than abolition, ultimately it was saved by the " couldn't be ar5ed" section of the electorate. That's democracy for you.
Trite reasoning and a vapid response. I disagree vehemently.

I for one voted to retain the Seanad solely on the basis that the current Bunreacht already has pitifully few checks and balances counterbalancing the Dáil. If people want a unicameral legislature - fine - in the context of a new Bunreacht with new checks and balances. But not a crack handed amputation of one House of the Oireachtas within the scope of the current, and the emergence of who knows what problems a few years down the line.

Seanad abolition is a typical half arsed Irish solution to an Irish reform problem.

See, some of us are in fact very arsed and do try to think larger picture.

Dame_Enda

I'm happy enough with the number of TDs but I want all constituencies to have equal numbers of seats to reduce the risk of gerrymandering against small parties and Independents.

statsman

If you reduce the number of TDs radically, then the ability of our STV PR system to reflect the wishes of the electorate reasonably accurately will be negatively impacted, with each constituency electing only 2 or 3 TDs, the bigger parties would end up being being seriously over-represented. For this reason alone I'm happy to leave things as they are.

Windowshopper

I think it was more distrust of the politicians and it was thought that a second chamber was a good moderating influence. That was my view anyway. I have since changed my mind.

crossman

If you reduce the number of TDs radically, then the ability of our STV PR system to reflect the wishes of the electorate reasonably accurately will be negatively impacted, with each constituency electing only 2 or 3 TDs, the bigger parties would end up being being seriously over-represented. For this reason alone I'm happy to leave things as they are.
In addition, you would then likely be selecting the cabinet from maybe about 60 TDs. Doesn't give you much choice once the obvious no hopers are eliminated (and I know well some such have got into cabinets).

statsman

In addition, you would then likely be selecting the cabinet from maybe about 60 TDs. Doesn't give you much choice once the obvious no hopers are eliminated (and I know well some such have got into cabinets).
Possibly from 51.

hollandia

That's fine until you get to an unwieldy number of constituents per TD. It could work if the ability to operate the lever of the parish pump was removed at National level.
I'm happy enough with the number of TDs but I want all constituencies to have equal numbers of seats to reduce the risk of gerrymandering against small parties and Independents.
Considering these three concerns, perhaps the solution is to base seats solely on population regardless of county or local authority boundaries?

farnaby

Do we really need such a high number of representatives? I believe the sheer number of elected individuals present in the Dail chamber only feeds the problem Ireland has with 'parish-pump politics'.
The opposite could be the case - the same pressure from local constituents divided among a lower number of TDs scrapping it out in 3-seaters means even sharper focus on local concerns.

The problems we have are to do with quality, not quantity, particularly at cabinet level.

If we're going to reform I'm more in favour of a proper presidential system with cabinet appointees in the national interest rather than geographical electoral concerns.

statsman

Considering these three concerns, perhaps the solution is to base seats solely on population regardless of county or local authority boundaries?
That might well be a positive step.

SamsonS

But that does happen - and then people and politicians moan if a small bit of one county is in with a neighbouring county.

Anoother problem is the feeling that "county" is not represented. Longford /Westmeath, elected 4 Westmeath TD's last time. I would reckon that next time 99% of voters in Longford will give a 1st pref to a Longford candidate to avoid a repeat of that.

statsman

But that does happen - and then people and politicians moan if a small bit of one county is in with a neighbouring county.

Anoother problem is the feeling that "county" is not represented. Longford /Westmeath, elected 4 Westmeath TD's last time. I would reckon that next time 99% of voters in Longford will give a 1st pref to a Longford candidate to avoid a repeat of that.
It's hard to unprime the parish pump, right enough.

PBP voter

NYCKY

Well yes it was the politicians who stymied it. No referendum has ever been carried without the support of the main opposition party, as was the case here.

Reducing the number of TDs shouldn't be conflated with eliminating a whole chamber of parliament.

Abolition of the Senate was mooted on the silly pretext of saving money, there were far far more ways that 20 million could have been saved.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies