• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Elephant In the Room - FG / LAB Will NOT WORK

LeftOfCentre

As much as I despise the current FF government & everything they stand for ..... the fact is that the most stable result after the next Gen Elec will be a LAB FF government.

FG & LAB's Policies are simply not ''miscible' and this will lead to 'clunky' government.

Lets have the Debate!

i know this debate will lead to LAB loosing some votes ... but lets put our cards on the table here!

mmrebel

Labour have a a history of sh1tting themselves when going gets rough in government so i dont see how long they would last in FF led government either.

atlantic

Labour are the Wind and Piss party,because they are always the smaller party in government,they always hand off blame and start *************************in and moaning about lack of cooperation .

TradCat

I think that's a very honest assessment. The ideal solution would be to see FF destroyed so we could have a FG government with a Labour opposition.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Hopefully this thread will help FG types to come around to coalition with FF

If Labour can coalesce with FF, then surely FG can ?

cYp

hiding behind a poster

As much as I despise the current FF government & everything they stand for ..... the fact is that the most stable result after the next Gen Elec will be a LAB FF government.

FG & LAB's Policies are simply not ''miscible' and this will lead to 'clunky' government.

Lets have the Debate!

i know this debate will lead to LAB loosing some votes ... but lets put our cards on the table here!
Firstly, I'm not sure that "miscible" is a word. Secondly, Fine Gael and Labour's policies are broadly compatible. They differ right now by about a billion in the amount of savings required, but not greatly on how to achieve them. There's nothing there that couldn't be solved in negotiation. Thirdly, if you despise the FF government, only a vote for Fine Gael is a vote to get them out. Fourthly, if your party says publicly what you're saying, there'll be an FG majority government after the next election.

So keep up the good work. ;)

Munion

I agree that FF would be more compatible with Labour than FG would be plus the chances of requiring a third party or independents would be lower with FF/Lab.

Although as a small government FF'er i'd be uncomfortable in government with Labour. Aside from single party government i'd personally be most comfortable with the situation as it stands now i.e. FF/Green.

hiding behind a poster

cYp
No, we can't. FF are a cancer on our country, and we need their grubby, self-serving hands removed from the levers of power for as long as it takes for them to start serving the public interest when in government. As such, FG are committed to doing precisely that.

The fact that Labour may be lacking principles in that regard doesn't mean FG have to descend to that level as well.

Big Bobo

Lets have the Debate!

I think you'd be suprised at how well they would collaborate. Labour's rhetoric may sound radical to some but they are "realists" in practice. They will prop up a right wing Fine Gael government happily enough if it means their leadership get to shove their snouts in the trough.

baldur0300

I think that's a very honest assessment. The ideal solution would be to see FF destroyed so we could have a FG government with a Labour opposition.
That scenario will only happen in your wet dreams.

I don't think that Labour are compatible with FG. The parties had diametrically opposed visions of what should have been contained in the budget with FG wanting to slash public spending with Labour favouring tax increases. I don't know how any such government could survive in these times with that level of fundamental disagreement.

(Unsurprisingly) I like the current makeup of the government but if it did come down to it and there was a general election I think that an FF Lab government would work. Much of the FF grassroots would favour such a coalition.

geraghd

cYp
Well culturally, Labour don't really dislike FF all that much, they just believe they have the better social democratic policies. I would propose that the average Labour member would 'hate' the average FG member more so than they do the average FF member.
FG members however aren't all that bothered with Labour members but do 'hate' FF members.
So whilst Labour might have some problems going in with FF, FG would rather die that do so.

Generally speaking.

Last edited:

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Well culturally, Labour don't really dislike FF all that much, they just believe they have the better social democratic parties. I would propose that the average Labour member would 'hate' the average FG member more so than the average FF member.
FG members however aren't all that bothered with Labour members but do 'hate' FF members.
So whilst Labour might have some problems going in with FF, FG would rather die that do so.

Generally speaking.
Indeed. Also I'd point out that in boom years policy differences aren't such an issue , as there's enough lolly for all the loony plans. When times are tight policy differences will be starkly evident.

FG may need to think about this before entering into a very unstable coalition with Labour

cYp

hiding behind a poster

(Unsurprisingly) I like the current makeup of the government but if it did come down to it and there was a general election I think that an FF Lab government would work. Much of the FF grassroots would favour such a coalition.
Of course they do, Baldur, and you know exactly why - because its looking like Labour would be the only partner who could get FF up to 83 seats if there was an election right now. Thus, the grassroots like them. But you can rest assured that if Labour were genuinely (in terms of seats) threatening FF as much as they were in some of the earlier polls this year, then the knives would come out for Gilmore and Co from FF HQ, and the grassroots would follow suit. Alternatively, if Labour committed themselves to any kind of pact with FG, the hatred-ometer from FF would go off the scale.

Let's not kid ourselves here.

Limerick Lad

That scenario will only happen in your wet dreams.

I don't think that Labour are compatible with FG. The parties had diametrically opposed visions of what should have been contained in the budget with FG wanting to slash public spending with Labour favouring tax increases. I don't know how any such government could survive in these times with that level of fundamental disagreement.

As you say it's not surprising that you and the FF grassroots favour an FF/Labour coalition government because it insures FF dominance in the body politic, nothing new there.

baldur0300

Of course they do, Baldur, and you know exactly why - because its looking like Labour would be the only partner who could get FF up to 83 seats if there was an election right now. Thus, the grassroots like them. But you can rest assured that if Labour were genuinely (in terms of seats) threatening FF as much as they were in some of the earlier polls this year, then the knives would come out for Gilmore and Co from FF HQ, and the grassroots would follow suit. Alternatively, if Labour committed themselves to any kind of pact with FG, the hatred-ometer from FF would go off the scale.

Let's not kid ourselves here.
Well you should also know that the FF grassroots have traditionally been far more to the economic left than government policy over the last few years. Many prior to the last election would have wanted a coalition with Labour. That doesn't stop the knives coming out in the slightest especially as the polls do suggest that Labour has been far more successful at taking FF voters than any other party but that won't stop a deal with Labour in the event of an election.

baldur0300

As you say it's not surprising that you and the FF grassroots favour an FF/Labour coalition government because it insures FF dominance in the body politic, nothing new there.
And I'm sure the only reason you would want a deal with Labour is the opportunity of gaining power rather than any level of ideological compatibility.

tomcosgrave

Website
www.tomcosgrave.com
The most compatible party with FF is FG. They are of the same political lineage and stand for more or less the same conservative social and the same neo-liberal economic policies. The sooner FF and FG go into coalition and put a political end to a civil war that ended decades ago, the better off Irish society will be.

DeGaulle 2.0

Website
ga.wikipedia.org
The most compatible party with FF is FG. They are of the same political lineage and stand for more or less the same conservative social and the same neo-liberal economic policies. The sooner FF and FG go into coalition and put a political end to a civil war that ended decades ago, the better off Irish society will be.
You realise that that would mean a one party state like Bavaria, where the Christian Social Party has been in power for 50 years?

hiding behind a poster

Well you should also know that the FF grassroots have traditionally been far more to the economic left than government policy over the last few years. Many prior to the last election would have wanted a coalition with Labour. That doesn't stop the knives coming out in the slightest especially as the polls do suggest that Labour has been far more successful at taking FF voters than any other party but that won't stop a deal with Labour in the event of an election.
It will if Labour don't want one. And therein lies your problem - Labour know that a deal with a weakened FF after the next election would be political suicide.

Cato

Firstly, I'm not sure that "miscible" is a word.
miscible |ˈmɪsɪb(ə)l|
adjective
(of liquids) forming a homogeneous mixture when added together

ORIGIN late 16th cent.: from medieval Latin miscibilis, from Latin miscere ‘to mix.'