Elvis Presley and the Ireland Connection

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Ed Leek, (Of Irish descent) a schoolfriend of Elvis Presley was given Elvis's very first recording containing the songs, "My Happiness", and "That's When Your Heartaches Begin", as a gift back in 1953. The Acetate record cost Elvis just four dollars to make at the Memphis Recording Service.

In 1988 Ed Leek allowed Sun Records of Memphis to make a Commercial copy of the "My Happiness" song which was released by Elvis's recording company on "The Great Performances" Video, CD and Cassette tape.

The original 1953 Acetate a historic artifact is now for sale and yours truly has been requested to help publicise this news.

The story is already spreading like wildfire on Elvis News websites from Holland to Australia. It will be right around the Globe in no time at all.

Irish Elvis fans like Harry Crosbie and Bono could easily afford this unique recording.
What a coup it would be for Ireland !

An Extraordinary Story.

Truth.ie

Not the only Irish connection.
Anyone know the name of the song written for Elvis by Phil Coulter?
Without using Google, try and guess.

Casualbets

Not the only Irish connection.
Anyone know the name of the song written for Elvis by Phil Coulter?
Without using Google, try and guess.
An even more Irish connection :

There's a front page story on the nationalist this week that Elvis was descended from a William Presley who had to leave Carlow in 1775. Obviously trying to trump the Obama/Moneygall connection.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com

There's a front page story on the nationalist this week that Elvis was descended from a William Presley who had to leave Carlow in 1775. Obviously trying to trump the Obama/Moneygall connection.
Thanks for Blue Moon Catalpa.

Hope that Carlow connection is true Casualbets. I have already put the story on the Elvis Forum on Topix.com

Having succeeded in getting a statue of "Elvis at 13" erected in his hometown Tupelo Mississippi what's the casual bet on me getting one placed in Carlow town? :)

An Extraordinary Story.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com

Larger images http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com Just click on the photo.

Any journalists here?

The images arrived with a long letter from Captain Ed Leek OZA-TWA outlining the Historic 1953 Elvis Presley recording story.

74 year old Ed is looking for a buyer. I was speaking to him by telephone, he is an intelligent guy and knows the importance of the very Historic recordings.

Last edited:

Utopian Hermit Monk

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALodesyABIE]YouTube - Elvis Presley - I´II take you home again kathleen[/ame]

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Thanks, Utopian hermit monk. Fairly good, but would you believe, I prefer the Josef Locke version of the song? It's a late home recording by Elvis, and should have been done in the studio.

Meanwhile:

I received a letter from Ed Leek yesterday containing some fascinating and historic material. Will edit this to include a sample.

Last edited:

Lao-Tse

Funny thing...I like Elvis' music (especially "Mystery Train" and "Heartbreak Hotel") but
Elvis Presley the Pop Culture Icon I find fascinating (Graceland, the Warhol Painting,
1970s Chinese students only knowing three Americans (Washington,Nixon and Elvis)).

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Funny thing...I like Elvis' music (especially "Mystery Train" and "Heartbreak Hotel") but
Elvis Presley the Pop Culture Icon I find fascinating (Graceland, the Warhol Painting,
1970s Chinese students only knowing three Americans (Washington,Nixon and Elvis)).
You are by no means alone, Lao-Tse. Many millions of people all over the world like Elvis's music. There's a very large Elvis fan club and Community in Hong Kong.

Mind you I was really impressed with Chinese Concert pianist Lang Lang playing Beethoven's wonderful piano music alongside the great Daniel Barenboim.

We expect Elvis's music to make a great impact on China in the coming years.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Roy Turner a well kown historian in Tupelo Mississppi in an email I received today requested my help in getting more Irish Elvis fans to visit Elvis's birthplace during the annual Elvis Festival early June 2012. There are many thousands of us.

Any journalists here interested in a little Ireland and Elvis related story?
Fintan O' Toole need not apply.

He recorded this in the 70s-
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9pu0FMHnRY]YouTube - ‪Danny Boy - Elvis Presley‬‏[/ame]

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Recently there have been three Elvis Presley songs heard numerous times a day on all our TV stations here in Ireland.

The Heineken ad, the Lottery promotion and a GAA sport advert.

Needless to say the world's media will once again turn to Memphis on the 16th August as tens of thousands of people from all walks of life descend on Memphis TN, and Elvis's birthplace Tupelo MS to pay tribute to the memory of the world's most versatile vocalist.

Meanwhile "Elvis Presley: The Great Performances", DVD, is number 1 on the Billboard chart. :)

guy3232

Maybe they will invite him over to visit...

NewGoldDream

Website
-
There's another connection.

On a recent Come Dine With Me Ireland, one of the competitor's was an Elvis fan from Limerick...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies