Emigrant dying alone far from home

Plea for mourners to attend funeral of Irish man who died alone in Manchester - Independent.ie

Sadly among the disapora Irish community living abroad this is not a new thing nor will it be the only one this year.

Many emigrated when times were hard and through a combination of time / family / living their lives lost touch with family, if they had any left in Ireland.

Some lucky enough to have family in Ireland, even though distant, find the family do their duty and repatriate the body to be buried close to where they grew up or travel attend the funeral.

Sadly in many cases their is nobody and the undertakers will be the only people present.

Based in Manchester a couple of years ago and tracked down some distant family graves, not sure how regularly they visited but did so when there.

Sync

He died a 55 minute flight from Dublin. I'm not sure why there's an assumption that he didn't live and die exactly the way he wanted.

GDPR

Some people are highly reclusive and drop off the radar through choice. They dont have to be immigrants. Manchester is a very warm and welcoming city, with a long tradition of Irish emigrants, many of whom married into local families and probably wished they didnt have quite so many new "aunties and uncles" popping round every few minutes. :)

tsarbomb

Most people die alone and in pretty dingy environments. I don't know why this fellow deserves special recognition.

fat finger

Plea for mourners to attend funeral of Irish man who died alone in Manchester - Independent.ie

Sadly among the disapora Irish community living abroad this is not a new thing nor will it be the only one this year.

Many emigrated when times were hard and through a combination of time / family / living their lives lost touch with family, if they had any left in Ireland.

Some lucky enough to have family in Ireland, even though distant, find the family do their duty and repatriate the body to be buried close to where they grew up or travel attend the funeral.

Sadly in many cases their is nobody and the undertakers will be the only people present.

Based in Manchester a couple of years ago and tracked down some distant family graves, not sure how regularly they visited but did so when there.

What about the hundreds of deaths here every year where the body goes days, weeks or months undiscovered? Rarely reported in the press, especially when it happens in Dublin

EUrJokingMeRight

When I die I wont give two fiddlers elbows about who shows up for the burning/burial whatever because I'll be brown bread, dead.

raetsel

Guys, it's not a competition ffs.
Big funerals in Ireland are a sort of status symbol, particularly in rural areas, even to the stage of being talking points among the airheads. I've never understood that.

L'Chaim

Most people die alone and in pretty dingy environments. I don't know why this fellow deserves special recognition.
The fact that he died alone with nobody to comfort him and nobody to mourn him, immediately after he died, is a terrible thing. There should be people around the dying to ease the loneliness and anxiety of the dying person. It's a terrible and sad thing for someone to be alone when they die and to have a funeral that nobody attends

former wesleyan

This kind of thing is a legacy of the culture of the lump which is simply the exploitation of the Irish by the Irish. I'm not saying , because I don't know , if this particular old man was involved but when I lived in London you could see how easily some people could slip through the cracks.

DavidCaldwell

The fact that he died alone with nobody to comfort him and nobody to mourn him, immediately after he died, is a terrible thing. There should be people around the dying to ease the loneliness and anxiety of the dying person. It's a terrible and sad thing for someone to be alone when they die and to have a funeral that nobody attends
There, but for the grace of God, go I.

EUrJokingMeRight

Folks, we come into this world alone and we'll leave this world alone also.

Enough of the maudlin ************************e. You're alive today, be grateful for it.

But your day will come and quickly too. For life is short.

DavidCaldwell

Enough of the maudlin ************************e. You're alive today, be grateful for it.

With regards to babies, you can argue the opposite - that every adult on this earth has received very considerable care and attention - several hours a day - whilst a baby. The justification for this statement is simple - the babies who did not receive such care and attention died.

tokkie

He died a 55 minute flight from Dublin. I'm not sure why there's an assumption that he didn't live and die exactly the way he wanted.
Perhaps he did live and die as he wanted. However, that's probably unlikely.

You should do a bit of research about that generation of Irish who emigrated to the U.K. If you do, you'll understand an awful lot more about this type of story. You'll also understand, that what might be a 55 minute flight for you and I, is something different for another person.

Cdebru

Whereas no one who stayed here ever died alone, or had no one to attend their funeral.

macnessa

I am fed up to the back teeth with talking heads who have an opinion on everything and know nothing!

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
I am fed up to the back teeth with talking heads who have an opinion on everything and know nothing!
Are you then? I see you're scandalised. How marvellous for you! Would you like to reply to Sync's point?

I do wonder why so many of my fellow Irishmen and women think that a bit of angry emoting is an adequate substitute for getting involved in a conversation.

petaljam

I don't like to use the vocabulary of the right, but would it be fair to suspect that odie is engaging in a little virtue signalling?

If people emigrated it wasn't despite the great efforts of odie's favourite political party to prevent them from doing so.
And God forbid that anyone who left the country should dare to want to have any further say in what happens, the evil feckers!
"Let's give him a great send off now he's safely dead" seems to be the thinking. Typical really.

GDPR

We don't come into this world alone though, with come into this world from another human being who's coming together with yet another human being made that possible. We need each other.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies