• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Emily Davison....100 years on!

spidermom

Emily Davison - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its 100 years since Emily Davison was killed as a result of injuries sustained following the Epsom Derby in 1913....Much has changed...and yet many would say that much has remained the same!!
The majority of child rearing....house work etc still lays in the hands of the "wimmin"

We "demand" more still and yet are unable to relinquish control!

Its been an interesting 100 years no doubt...but still much to do.......!!

DISCUSS.....

:)

And be nice!!!

Jezza

Intersting that the opinion now is that she did not intend to kill herself, but misjudged an attempt to get a Sufferagette banner on to the King's horse.

stopdoingstuff

If it happened today, I wonder how Betfair would deal with it.

Feckkit

Its 100 years since Emily Davison was killed as a result of injuries sustained following the Epsom Derby in 1913....
Emily Davison intentionally committed suicide... by walking out, intentionally, in front of galloping horses.

She wasn't "killed as a result of injuries sustained...", but by her own free will: she killed herself.

I'm being nice.

We demand" more still and yet are unable to relinquish control!

I'm still being nice.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Intersting that the opinion now is that she did not intend to kill herself, but misjudged an attempt to get a Sufferagette banner on to the King's horse.
I understood she was trying to catch the horses reins to distract it and scupper its chances. Not sure where I picked that idea up.

One doesn't want to be glib about the incident, the Suffragettes were remarkable and not adverse to placing themselves in serious danger and Davison rightly has a place in any history book, but think that act was more accident than martyrdom or suicide.

Limerick Lad

Emily Davison intentionally committed suicide... by walking out, intentionally, in front of galloping horses.

She wasn't "killed as a result of injuries sustained...", but by her own free will: she killed herself.
You should watch Clare Balding's programme on Channel 4, she gave a very credible explanation of how Emily Davison had tried to attach a scarf proclaiming "Votes for Women" to the King's horse and while she may have known the risks, did not intend to kill herself by her actions.

Clare Balding's Secrets of a Suffragette - Channel 4

Levellers

The Suffragettes were correct - the Establishment were wrong. Simples innit?

freewillie

If it happened today, I wonder how Betfair would deal with it.
Rule 4 wouldn't apply as the race was in progress. As a goodwill gesture Paddy Power would probably return all losing bets and then open a book on whether or not there would be a repeat in the St Leger

Spanner Island

Its 100 years since Emily Davison was killed as a result of injuries sustained following the Epsom Derby in 1913....Much has changed...and yet many would say that much has remained the same!!
The majority of child rearing....house work etc still lays in the hands of the "wimmin"

DISCUSS.....

And be nice!!!
I reckon when women realise and accept that it's not actually possible to 'have it all' that they will be happier and more content than many of them seem to be now...

Plus I reckon the vast amount of 'pressure' which some women never cease to bang on and moan about is put on them by other women...

Cos in reality... men don't really give a sh!t...

We just love you all and think you're great and sexy and fantastic... apart from when you're doing the 'insecure' and 'self critical' stuff and/or demanding that you have it all when having it all is impossible...

Sliabh Mis

Anyone read The Surrendered Wife by Laura Doyle? A step by step guide to finding intimacy, passion and peace with your man. A radical approach to relationships, the author suggests that in order to enjoy a great marriage, a woman should surrender herself to her husband. Any surrendered wives out there?

ger12

DISCUSS.....

And be nice!!!
Relinquish control of what?

ger12

Anyone read The Surrendered Wife by Laura Doyle? A step by step guide to finding intimacy, passion and peace with your man. A radical approach to relationships, the author suggests that in order to enjoy a great marriage, a woman should surrender herself to her husband. Any surrendered wives out there?
Hmm, have you read The Woman's Room?

tigerben

Just like the men of 1916 , the suffragettes would be wondering was in worth in all. People don't bother to vote any more, and yet people died so we could. Strange really that most in the western countries have lost so much that people fought so much for due to apathy and feeling they can't make a difference.

pippakin

Whatever her reason and we can all speculate about that the woman knew the risk she was taking and considered it worthwhile.

I do wonder what the suffragettes would make of those Muslim women in western democracies throwing away what suffragettes fought and died for.

Sliabh Mis

Hmm, have you read The Woman's Room?
I have heard of it but I haven't read it. I came across The Surrendered Wife in a magazine article I was reading and then got the book to see what it was about. Also have a copy of Shattered- Modern Motherhood and the Illusion of Equality by Rebecca Asher. I haven't read it yet, it's in a big pile of books that I have yet to read.

gatsbygirl20

Lest we forget.....

Many of the rights we take for granted today were fought for by brave people.

pippakin

Ms Doyle will no doubt love Saudi Arabia. I'll help her pack if it helps speed her on her way.