End of tax relief on rent will lead to tax evasion?

seabhcan

I rent and get 800 euro income tax relief as a result. To get this relief, I have to get my landlord's pps number, give it to Revenue, and tell them how much rent i pay. My landlord then pays much more than 800 euro tax on the rent I pay.

Is it logical to scrap this tax relief, as is suggested in the budget? I certainly wont be helping Revenue track down landlords in future - and it will be far easier for landlords to evade tax.

LineInTheSand

I rent and get 800 euro income tax relief as a result. To get this relief, I have to get my landlord's pps number, give it to Revenue, and tell them how much rent i pay. My landlord then pays much more than 800 euro tax on the rent I pay.

Is it logical to scrap this tax relief, as is suggested in the budget? I certainly wont be helping Revenue track down landlords in future - and it will be far easier for landlords to evade tax.
This has always been given as the main benefit of this relief, but I wonder how many buy to let investors are actually making a profit on their rent. Also they have already identified a lot of them using this scheme.

Partizan

You dont need to get your LL's PPS no. to claim your rent relief. All you need to do (if you are claiming online) is to fill in his name and the address of the house apartment where you are living. The Revenue will do the rest.

seabhcan

You dont need to get your LL's PPS no. to claim your rent relief. All you need to do (if you are claiming online) is to fill in his name and the address of the house apartment where you are living. The Revenue will do the rest.
You sure? There is a space for the PPS number.

Anyway - its getting scrapped. So it doesn't matter anymore.

patslatt

That was a snitch bribe disguised as tax relief!

bobbysands81

Why do you post in that way patslatt?

Can you not just write in the place that you're meant to write in instead of your usual attention seeking?

Passer-by

That is probably the reason it is being done...

Time for a proper land register then eh?

Anyway, shouldn't all rental accommodation be declared with the PRTB? You would find tax evaders that way.

Dunlin3

There are now heavy penalties for landlords who do not register with the Private Residential Tenancies Board. If they don't register and don't declare rental income then they will be in for a double financial hit.

An Gilladaker

There are now heavy penalties for landlords who do not register with the Private Residential Tenancies Board. If they don't register and don't declare rental income then they will be in for a double financial hit.
And pigs will fly :lol:

Ireland_sucks

The max tax relief is €400.

And the relief is not abolished, it's to be phased out over several years.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies