End of the O'Leary era at Ryanair

YongHoi

Bellew explains why he is leaving Malaysia Airlines to return to Ryanair

I find it curious that Peter Bellew is in such a precipitous rush to give up his position as head of a major Asian National Carrier to return to wet and windy Ireland in mid winter, and clean up Micko's mess.

One could imagine numerous reasons. MONEY being the obvious one. But I doubt if Mr.Bellew is motivated by a few extra grand in his pay packet at this stage of his career. The opportunities for further personal enhancement and advancement must surely look better from the driving seat of a National Airline than the back seat of O'Leary's cattle car?

I think the truth is blindingly obvious.
O'Leary has had a good run of it, made himself and the shareholders a lot of money with a new (though not original) airline business model, but times are changing and the jig is up now.

One of Ryanairs biggest problems would be in finding a man suitable to replace Micko, which is going to be the first and most important step to re-launching the company with a 'new face'.
It suddenly seems obvious that Bellew is that man. He has the previous Ryanair experience, he knows the company intimately. Now he has been tried and tested at the helm of an airline himself, and did a reasonable job of it, given the limitations and challenges facing a white man working in an Asian carrier.

So I think its clear that we are now witnessing the final days of the O'Leary era at Ryanair.
I'm betting on it.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Yep... apart from replacing the Operations Director I'd say there is a bit of succession planning under way there whether O'Leary is aware of it or not.

Customers, the markets, regulators, all have become a bit tired of O'Leary and his gob I suspect.

Tempes fugit. Unless you are stuck in an airport.

automaticforthepeople

Perhaps Mick O'leary would be interested in a new career in broadcasting? I'm sure Newstalk would take him on to replace George Hook.

After all his sex is right and he can pick up where George left off?

Spanner Island

Yep... apart from replacing the Operations Director I'd say there is a bit of succession planning under way there whether O'Leary is aware of it or not.

Customers, the markets, regulators, all have become a bit tired of O'Leary and his gob I suspect.

I would imagine Mick is well aware of everything and may well be orchestrating it... at management level at least.

Given recent events, he may be thinking of a quieter life with the wife and kids and horses while perhaps being a director or non exec director etc.

He might even offer his services to the LRC from time to time... :cool:

Trainwreck

Assigned seating was the beginning of the end. Bring back the scramble Mick!
Yep, they took their gaming of passengers too far with that wheeze. Unassigned seating was transparent, honest and provided a genuine saving for passengers.

irish_bob

It would but it would be temporary...
most likely outcome but in the short term , it would be shorted heavily , retail would get shook out and the big guys load up at lower prices

its how these things happen , you short based on a change regardless of any change in fundamentals

there isnt anyone to replace ryanair , easyjet are only an ok run company with a share price that reflects this , who else is there ?

statsman

most likely outcome but in the short term , it would be shorted heavily , retail would get shook out and the big guys load up at lower prices

its how these things happen , you short based on a change regardless of any change in fundamentals

there isnt anyone to replace ryanair , easyjet are only an ok run company with a share price that reflects this , who else is there ?
There was no mobile phone maker to replace Nokia, until there was.

Golden Phoenix

Bellew explains why he is leaving Malaysia Airlines to return to RyanairO'Leary has had a good run of it, made himself and the shareholders a lot of money with a new (though not original) airline business model, but times are changing and the jig is up now.
While Michael O'Leary has been successful I've always held the view that he is a FLAWED business man. The 1st rule of business is to respect and value your customers.

He comes across as aggressive and belligerent in interviews.....I wonder did any employees ever take a bullying case against him?

ShoutingIsLeadership

It's all about the numbers

Orbit v2

This has been predicted before though it seems more likely this time. He has been caught out badly by the recent crisis, and a lot of the blame lies at his feet. There's no question it would be happening without his full agreement and co-operation though.

D

Deleted member 17573

May be just a case of another European running out of Malaysian, it strikes me that Peter is protesting too strongly about there being no interference by the locals in his running of the airline.
And it's not a return that will greatly impress the pilots!

OrderoftheDragon

Yep, they took their gaming of passengers too far with that wheeze. Unassigned seating was transparent, honest and provided a genuine saving for passengers.
There was nothing wrong with assisgned seating either, except Ryanair tried to screw everyone over by deliberately splitting everyone up IF they didn't pay for it.........who ever dreamt that one up should get the sack. That was the start of Ryanair's current issues.

blokesbloke

So is Mr. O'Leary going, or is this chap just coming to help him be less of a gobshyte to his staff?

Man or Mouse

There was nothing wrong with assisgned seating either, except Ryanair tried to screw everyone over by deliberately splitting everyone up IF they didn't pay for it.........who ever dreamt that one up should get the sack. That was the start of Ryanair's current issues.
It may well be the case, but, it is still a perception rather than a fact. When couples buy two seats in a row of three, what is left?

fergal1790

Assigned seating was the beginning of the end. Bring back the scramble Mick!
You mean the random seating which was not so random?

The beginning of the end was his refusal to pay out compensation after the Ash Cloud and the EU threatening to ground all Ryanair flights if he didn't comply.

Whatever people think of his business plan and abilities the man comes across as an ignorant arrogant cúnt which is not what most companies want as a figurehead.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies