Enda/Howlin dismiss Ross's remarks on judges

Dame_Enda

Enda Kenny today dismissed Transport Minister Shane Ross's remarks that judges might "forget their oath" unless a register of Judges interests is introduced.

Brendan Howlin in the Dail today said the remarks amounted to undermining independence of the judiciary.

Are Enda and Howlin attacking just the remark on oaths, or are they shooting down the concept of a register of judges interests?

Meanwhile Justice Minister Frances Fitzgerald also playing down SR's remarks, saying the country has been well served by its judges. In the light of offenders with hundreds of prior convictions roaming the streets, and the failure to punish bankers for the 2008 crash I respectfully disagree....

Should there be a register of judges interests? I believe so in order to avoid conflicts of interests.

The Sunday Times reported last year that the then govt had ruled out such a register. It also reported that a judge that ruled in favour of Dennis O'Briens injunction against RTE had shares in CRH and Bank of Ireland at the time.

Last edited:

freewillie

I thought Ross wouldbe too busy objecting to every application for planning in the leafy suburbs of South Dublin. Maybe now people are seeing through his bluff

ger12

Kenny and Howlin are hoping to get back into bed together.

As for Ross, he did overstep it by his use of language.

His underlying attempt to make the judiciary more transparent is a worthy cause. There should be a register of judges interests, like the politicians a public one.

There should also be a declaration, both politicians and judges, of their debts. SIPO could hold it.

Civic_critic2

Howlin was minister in a government which was made aware that several dozen unidentified bodies had been found with no records or death certificates, one without a head - and they allowed those bodies to be immediately burned without investigation and without further ado. If anyone was looking for those people, such as their children or siblings, all trace of them including their DNA was eliminated.

Michael D. Higgins was also a minister in that government.

These people are criminals.

Greener

Enda Kenny today dismissed Transport Minister Shane Ross's remarks that judges might "forget their oath" unless a register of Judges interests is introduced.

Brendan Howlin in the Dail today said the remarks amounted to undermining independence of the judiciary.

Are Enda and Howlin attacking just the remark on oaths, or are they shooting down the concept of a register of judges interests?

Meanwhile Justice Minister Frances Fitzgerald also playing down SR's remarks, saying the country has been well served by its judges. In the light of offenders with hundreds of prior convictions roaming the streets, and the failure to punish bankers for the 2008 crash I respectfully disagree....

Should there be a register of judges interests? I believe so in order to avoid conflicts of interests.

The Sunday Times reported last year that the then govt had ruled out such a register. It also reported that a judge that ruled in favour of Dennis O'Briens injunction against RTE had shares in CRH and Bank of Ireland at the time.
This quote identifies your mindset.

No need for anything like this. The Judiciary has served Ireland well.

Dame_Enda

In 2008 (the INIS website hasnt been updated for years) 20% of circuit court cases for violent offenses resulted in suspended sentences. I respectfully disagree with you. Some individual judges have served us well but as a collective they are too lenient and perhaps in some cases compromised. Were it not so, FG wouldnt be blocking a register of judges interests.

Time to Drain the Bog

Greener

In 2008 (the INIS website hasnt been updated for years) 20% of circuit court cases for violent offenses resulted in suspended sentences. I respectfully disagree with you. Some individual judges have served us well but as a collective they are too lenient and perhaps in some cases compromised. Were it not so, FG wouldnt be blocking a register of judges interests.

Time to Drain the Bog
Were you there for those cases? Did you hear the full facts? Did you hear all spoken in mitigation?

Dame_Enda

Were you there for those cases? Did you hear the full facts? Did you hear all spoken in mitigation?
No but from what I have read over the years, the judiciary's idea of mitigation is "he comes from a good family", which seems to mean an upper crust one.

Sister Mercedes

They should also have to register their connection to the people appearing before them.

Like the chief justice ruling in favor of her brother.

Orbit v2

I think this is a good example of why we should be wary about doing this. How is this example a conflict of interest exactly?

There was a similar example where a litigant tried to claim that the judge had a conflict because he had a mortgage with the same bank that was looking for a repossession order in the same case. That was a blatant abuse of process, and this might become more common with such a register in place.

Not saying I'm totally against the idea, but it should not be allowed to be a vehicle for similar time wasting abuses of the courts.

Greener

No but from what I have read over the years, the judiciary's idea of mitigation is "he comes from a good family", which seems to mean an upper crust one.
Sorry, but what you read, and what actually happens sometimes occasionally suffers from tedious facts from being reported.

im axeled

with thugs with very high numbers of convictions ruling the streets and countryside, i say otherwise

enuffisenuff

Of course they need to be made accountable to someone/something at a certain level..judicial independence doesn't mean a license to act the c*nt!!

New Threads

Most Replies