Enda Kenny honours Anti-Semite Oliver J. Flanagan

Kerrygold

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
4,711
http://www.finegael.ie/fine-gael-news.cfm/year/2005/month/10/action/detail/newsid/26820/level/page/aid/138/

I think it is entirely inappropriate and disgusting that the leader of FG should honour such a man. Flanagan was a raving anti-Semite.

Shortly after being elected to the Dáil he said:

"There is one thing that Germany did and that was to rout the Jews out of their country. Until we rout the Jews out of this country it does not matter a hair's breadth what orders you make. Where the bees are there is honey, and where the Jews are there is money."

Do people here believe that Flanagan deserved such an honour? And I'm particularly interested to hear what the FGers think of this.
 


Trojanhorse

Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2005
Messages
93
I have a feeling that BarryW and friends will be avoiding this little gaffe for a while!!
 

cain1798

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 6, 2003
Messages
418
FG are honouring Griffith at the end of the month, who was also a raving anti-semite. Since they've also had Jewish TDs like Shatter, maybe it's a rural thing for them?
 

aodh_rua

Active member
Joined
May 15, 2005
Messages
187
Website
drtod.wordpress.com
I can't recall any high profile Jewish SF-ers while Fine Gael have had Alan Shatter, Fianna Fáil the Briscoes and Labour had Mervyn Taylor.

As for Oliver J. Flanagan's comments - one could nit-pick and say that when he made them he wasn't a Fine Gael member. He didn't become a Fine Gael TD until later in his career. One could also talk about Seán Russell's time in the Third Reich.

Personally I find Flanagan's comments repugnant as would most other Fine Gael members. However, he was a long-time representative of the people of Laois-Offaly (1943-1987), and if they want to mark his service and its positive contribution that is their right.
 

ON THE ONE ROAD

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 20, 2005
Messages
4,580
what did he do that he's getting honour'd for? Is he the one that made a speach in frount of the Free state army calling the president of the free state at the time a disgrase or something beceuse the president at the time cerbal o dalaigh was refering legislation think it was offences against the state act. making out the president was disloyal when he was doing his job and refused to apologise. Is that him?
 

BarryW

Active member
Joined
Sep 8, 2003
Messages
262
ON THE ONE ROAD said:
what did he do that he's getting honour'd for? Is he the one that made a speach in frount of the Free state army calling the president of the free state at the time a disgrase or something beceuse the president at the time cerbal o dalaigh was refering legislation think it was offences against the state act. making out the president was disloyal when he was doing his job and refused to apologise. Is that him?
Another Shinner who should ask Santy for a Junior Cert history book! :lol:
 

ON THE ONE ROAD

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 20, 2005
Messages
4,580
was that duggan, yeah history not the best doing this from memory . Wasen't there something cringe worthy that flanagan came out with thaught there was more than the jew's and money comment, maybe that was it?
 

pogo

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 27, 2005
Messages
435
Website
stags.pl
It's somewhat unfortunate that Oliver J Flanagan, unlike the pantheon of great SF/IRA heroes, confined his anti-semitism to mere words.

Unless I'm mistaken I don't believe he was given a military funeral from a German U-boat, wrapped in a swastika like Sean Russell, neither did he assist the lufftwaffe in bombing his native city like the late great Joe Cahill, nor for that matter did he attempt to recruit Irish POWs serving with the British Army into the Waffen SS like that great Republican icon Frank Ryan.

I believe, like Russell, Cahill and Ryan he would have had to have taken his 'patriotism' a stage further to be regarded as worthy of commemoration by the keepers of the true Republican flame.
 

aodh_rua

Active member
Joined
May 15, 2005
Messages
187
Website
drtod.wordpress.com
His most famous quote was about there being no sex in Ireland before television. He said it on the Late Late.

As for Bob Briscoe being in Sinn Féin, he was part of the SF that evolved into Fianna Fáil (he was a founding member). Not wanting to open up a whole different argument, but I was referring to the modern organisation styling itself Sinn Féin and not any of the historical organisations sharing the name.
 

Pidge

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
427
ON THE ONE ROAD said:
how did cahill, ryan or russall show anti semitism beond words?
By actively assisting a well-known, virulently anti-Semitic dictatorship, which was genocidal.

Thought that was fairly obvious...
 

Kerrygold

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
4,711
aodh_rua said:
I can't recall any high profile Jewish SF-ers while Fine Gael have had Alan Shatter, Fianna Fáil the Briscoes and Labour had Mervyn Taylor.

As for Oliver J. Flanagan's comments - one could nit-pick and say that when he made them he wasn't a Fine Gael member. He didn't become a Fine Gael TD until later in his career. One could also talk about Seán Russell's time in the Third Reich.

Personally I find Flanagan's comments repugnant as would most other Fine Gael members. However, he was a long-time representative of the people of Laois-Offaly (1943-1987), and if they want to mark his service and its positive contribution that is their right.
*sigh* :roll:

Typical Fine Gael response. When criticised just deflect the issue by criticising someone else. We're not talking about Sean Russell, we're talking about Enda Kenny honouring an Anti-Semite like Flanagan and whether people think it was appropriate or not.
 

ON THE ONE ROAD

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 20, 2005
Messages
4,580
Pidge said:
ON THE ONE ROAD said:
how did cahill, ryan or russall show anti semitism beond words?
By actively assisting a well-known, virulently anti-Semitic dictatorship, which was genocidal.

Thought that was fairly obvious...

does that make them anti semetic, don't think so.

if they showed anti semetic tendincies before the war and then when it broke out went ah heres our chance, they'd be acting on there tendincies. Did any of them do that?
 

aodh_rua

Active member
Joined
May 15, 2005
Messages
187
Website
drtod.wordpress.com
Kerrygold said:
aodh_rua said:
I can't recall any high profile Jewish SF-ers while Fine Gael have had Alan Shatter, Fianna Fáil the Briscoes and Labour had Mervyn Taylor.

As for Oliver J. Flanagan's comments - one could nit-pick and say that when he made them he wasn't a Fine Gael member. He didn't become a Fine Gael TD until later in his career. One could also talk about Seán Russell's time in the Third Reich.

Personally I find Flanagan's comments repugnant as would most other Fine Gael members. However, he was a long-time representative of the people of Laois-Offaly (1943-1987), and if they want to mark his service and its positive contribution that is their right.
*sigh* :roll:

Typical Fine Gael response. When criticised just deflect the issue by criticising someone else. We're not talking about Sean Russell, we're talking about Enda Kenny honouring an Anti-Semite like Flanagan and whether people think it was appropriate or not.
Roll your eyes all you like - I said that I and most FG members would find Flanagan's comments repugnant (apologies if that's not clear enough). The other points are relevant as the subtext of this thread is that FG somehow condone anti-semitism because of comments Flanagan made while an independent. I think its clear that Fine Gael are not anti-semitic. Enda appearing at the dedication of a memorial to a TD who represented his constituency for 44 years doesn't change that.
 

BarryW

Active member
Joined
Sep 8, 2003
Messages
262
Kerrygold said:
[Typical Fine Gael response. When criticised just deflect the issue by criticising someone else. We're not talking about Sean Russell, we're talking about Enda Kenny honouring an Anti-Semite like Flanagan and whether people think it was appropriate or not.
When a thread last night was discussing Sean Russell, Rockofcashel and his sidekick Trefor deflected the debate on to the Blueshirts, and some fantasy connections between FG and the Nazis!

So don't wail to us about deflecting the issues, bub
 

Trojanhorse

Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2005
Messages
93
The connection may not be a fantasy BarryW..... :lol:
 


New Threads

Most Replies

Top