• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Enda Kenny in public debate with Garda

Sync

Video: Taoiseach confronted by off-duty garda on Meath East canvass - Political News | Irish & International Politics | The Irish Times - Tue, Mar 26, 2013

Taoiseach Enda Kenny was involved in a heated exchange with an off-duty garda over public sector pay cuts during a whistle-stop tour of the Meath East constituency yesterday.
So rather than walk away or have the Garda removed, he stands there for 10 minutes, debating the points, lays out a criticism against the Gardai for walking away from talks. The guard talks about his hours, his salary, the impact on shift workers in the Gardai and the hospital. It ends it with them shaking hands and the Garda saying it was good to meet him and they'll agree to differ.

I dunno. If it's not a plant I gotta say, I think it's a pretty impressive snippit of both men.

Bart: Wow, my father an astronaut. I feel so full of...what's the opposite of shame?
Marge: Pride?
Bart: No, not _that_ far from shame.
Homer: Less shame?
Bart: Yeah!

Analyzer

In fairness, Kenny is only responsible, to the extent that he has still not sacked Lazybones.

Lazybones is a hindrance to the gardai, when it is his job to help them.

Where are Big Fill, Dicey, and Lazybones ? Are FG keeping them in hiding ?

RobertW

Why should Kenny walk away?

He's looking for votes for Helen McEntee.

Shame it's not a recording as it doesn't give the full extent of what went on. . . As happened to Tony Blair with Sharon Storer in the 2001 UK General Election

Sharon Storer confronts Tony Blair 2001 - YouTube

Edit: was on an ipad earlier . . Where the recording is not available.

Last edited:

Eoin Coir

RTE only showed a very selective bit of that encounter, of course. But was he really a garda at all, did not look like one, though he was very well fed. But when journalists asked him for his name he refused to give it "on account of his job" , but had no problems giving political opinions despite his job and regulations.

commonman

Does Enda understand what is going on in the real world, and that people have no money its about surviving week to week in this country.

Analyzer

RTE only showed a very selective bit of that encounter, of course. But was he really a garda at all, did not look like one, though he was very well fed. But when journalists asked him for his name he refused to give it "on account of his job" , but had no problems giving political opinions despite his job and regulations.
Define very well fed.

Dunlin3

I heard a real Muppet on the Pat Kenny show this morning speaking from the AGSI conference. He said and I'm paraphrasing here, that Gardai had already taken a 20% pay cut and if they were married to someone in the public service then the partner had also taken a 20% pay cut which totaled a 40% cut in pay.

I hope this brain box isn't investigating any of the shenanigans at the various banks!

Of course his statement went totally uncorrected by the RTE reporter.

Fr.Ted Crilly

That's 4 times you've remarked on that man's weight on this and other threads.
Why don't you spit it out?

Lain2016

Video: Taoiseach confronted by off-duty garda on Meath East canvass - Political News | Irish & International Politics | The Irish Times - Tue, Mar 26, 2013

So rather than walk away or have the Garda removed, he stands there for 10 minutes, debating the points, lays out a criticism against the Gardai for walking away from talks. The guard talks about his hours, his salary, the impact on shift workers in the Gardai and the hospital. It ends it with them shaking hands and the Garda saying it was good to meet him and they'll agree to differ.

I dunno. If it's not a plant I gotta say, I think it's a pretty impressive snippit of both men.
Someone should tell the guard Kenny is on €200,000pa, he couldnt give a flyin fook about your mans €7 for ten hours...nanyways he'll prob'ly vote for the FG rich kid and give her the life of luxury Kenny has had :)

punchdrunk

RTE has questions to answer.

Thank God we are not relying on RTE any more.

FakeViking

I heard a real Muppet on the Pat Kenny show this morning speaking from the AGSI conference. He said and I'm paraphrasing here, that Gardai had already taken a 20% pay cut and if they were married to someone in the public service then the partner had also taken a 20% pay cut which totaled a 40% cut in pay.

I hope this brain box isn't investigating any of the shenanigans at the various banks!

Of course his statement went totally uncorrected by the RTE reporter.
I was only half-listening to it, but the bit that annoyed me was how he was able to jump from the fact that the Garda force work 24/7/365 shifts to he has to do a 10-hour shift. Did he expect to hang up his handcuffs at 5pm?

Rocky

If it's a plant, it's a very impressive plant.

I know I'm biased but have to say I was very impressed by Kenny there and this should be the attiude of the whole government and the whole of Fine Gael and Labour. Fight for the decisions they're making and in the end as Kenny did there, I think they'll be more credit for it. I always hate this hiding away from decisions and responsbility that we often get in this country and that Fianna Fail were so great for doing.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Stress and Weight Gain: Can Stress Make You Fat?

Do you feel like you're prone to putting on more weight when you're stressed, even if you're eating the same amount of food as you always have? Too much cortisol can slow your metabolism, causing more weight gain than you would normally experience. This also makes dieting more difficult.

Fr.Ted Crilly

If it's a plant, it's a very impressive plant.
The only surprise is that Kenny didn't fall on his arse again, you know his record with plants.