• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Enda Kenny makes most "Representations" to Revenue

DuineEile

Taoiseach made representations to Revenue on behalf of 25 taxpayers - Political News | Irish & International Politics | The Irish Times - Tue, Apr 30, 2013

What does representations to Revenue actually mean?

How the hell can a TD know what a person's tax bill is or should be be?

What influence can a TD bring, and why should it be right for them to bring it. We are presumably talking about a pretty mechanical calculation here. Even if it is not, why should the Taoiseach, a not retired schoolteacher, have a bettter knowledge of this area than say a tax lawyer.

Why should it be proper for the Prime Minister of a country to intervene personally to sort out someone's tax problem?

The suspicion has to be of either

a. Undue influence; or

b. The Taoiseach is impotent (as he can't bring any influence to bear).

D

White Horse

What does making a "representation" actually mean?

The article doesn't appear to offer a definition.

Cato

What does making a "representation" actually mean?

The article doesn't appear to offer a definition.
A communication by a TD on behalf of another person made to a Government department or some other agency of the state.

sic transit

I had reason to contact all my local TDs some years ago and Kenny is also a local TD. They all made "representations" to the relevant organisation and I got a swift response. Unless they do something silly like Trevor Sargent there's nothing at all in it.

Howya

It's a bit like TD's make representations on criminal sentences/parole hearings - they do it so that the voters will keep voting for them. Nothing to do with whether or not there is a real issue at stake that needs investigation. Paris pump politics at its worst.

greengoose2

I had reason to contact all my local TDs some years ago and Kenny is also a local TD. They all made "representations" to the relevant organisation and I got a swift response. Unless they do something silly like Trevor Sargent there's nothing at all in it.
Why would one have to contact the local TD? Getting some water from the parish pump or whatever?

Howya

Sinn Fein were listed as having made no representations to the Revenue - is that because their voers pay no tax? petunia

Dame_Enda

Politicians should be statutorally prohibited from making any representations to state agencies or the judiciary on behalf of constituents.

DuineEile

If the representations don't mean anything, why are we paying a Taoiseach to be impotent?

D

sic transit

Why would one have to contact the local TD? Getting some water from the parish pump or whatever?
Nah issues with a particular branch of government. We had a minster at the time so it made sense.

sic transit

Politicians should be statutorally prohibited from making any representations to state agencies or the judiciary on behalf of constituents.
Sometimes it's just a case of information being passed to the right person.

Nedz Newt

If it's recorded at all, it's probably a parliamentary question at minimum.

If it's revenue, the minister is probably minister for finance.

PQ - "To ask the minister for finance why <citizen with address in Co Mayo> had €9.48 deducted in his payslip this week, instead of €9.47 like it was last week"

Ans - "The revenue adjusted Mr Citizen's tax credits in line with his recent application. Further details may be obtained by contacting revenue directly"

PQs like this are used by TDs (and Taoisigh) seemingly to make it look like they're doing something, instead of Mr Citizen to fook off and find out himself. They;re a tremendous waste of civil service time as everything has to be dropped to prepare an answer.

greengoose2

Nah issues with a particular branch of government. We had a minster at the time so it made sense.
No it doesn't! It stinks of nepotism, gombeenism and parish pump governance. I expect that the Taoiseach , at the very least, should show that he has the national interest at heart. If you are making demands on ministers then you fall into the above category.

sic transit

No it doesn't! It stinks of nepotism, gombeenism and parish pump governance. I expect that the Taoiseach , at the very least, should show that he has the national interest at heart. If you are making demands on ministers then you fall into the above category.
Far too nice a day to allow myself to get sucked into this. Have a nice day. :)

DuineEile

Sometimes it's just a case of information being passed to the right person.
So a Minister intervened on your behalf, and this worked.

Meaning a Minster diverted himself from the job he was paid to do (legislator, Minister) to intermeddle with someone else's job. And you see no problem with a system that allows this?

D

sic transit

So a Minister intervened on your behalf, and this worked.

Meaning a Minster diverted himself from the job he was paid to do (legislator, Minister) to intermeddle with someone else's job. And you see no problem with a system that allows this?

D
There was no meddling. I got the information I wanted after I'd attempted unsuccessfully to get it myself from utterly unhelpful front line staff. If you're so hung up on this do some representation of your own to get rid of it rather than seethe on a web forum.

brughahaha

Fundamentally contradicts and undermines the concept of a republic

All citizens are supposed to be equal to the Government yet we have a system where patronage and favour are in built to the system .

That Kenny - the man who promised much change but so far has delivered nothing - engages in this parish pump nonsense should suprise no one

sic transit

Fundamentally contradicts and undermines the concept of a republic

All citizens are supposed to be equal to the Government yet we have a system where patronage and favour are in built to the system .

That Kenny - the man who promised much change but so far has delivered nothing - engages in this parish pump nonsense should suprise no one
Anyone can ask and many do. It's how we like it. Can't blame them for giving us what we want.