• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Enda Kenny's grasp of Irish naval assets

The Fusilier

Couldn't really think of a good thread title, this being the first thread I've opened I'm sure people will forgive me....

I agree to this and I commend the Government on its contribution to date to the catastrophe in Haiti. I will not have time to speak on the debate, so I would like to a make a point now. We have a Naval Service vessel that is a fully equipped hospital ship. There are medics and doctors queuing up to give of their time free of charge to assist in this catastrophe. I request the Tánaiste to see to it that this ship is made ready and sails for Haiti. It is a fully equipped hospital ship and could do enormous beneficial work offshore, just as other countries are doing during this tragedy. As it will be located offshore, it will be immune from earthquakes, and doctors and nurses in this country are more than willing to stay on that ship and carry out essential operations for those who have been devastated by the earthquake. It would represent an invaluable contribution from the Government and I will support it wholeheartedly if it commits to it.
Parliamentary Debate...

Now, while there are posters on this site who criticize every action he undertakes, I personally quite like Enda Kenny, and he actually seems to have decent time for the Defence Forces. However, the above statement is worrying, as the Naval Service has no vessel that fits the above description in even the vaguest sense, nor ever has it (I think).

Was this a case of an advisor having a bit of craic at Enda's expense?

Last edited:

johnfás

Which is more worrying - the opposition suggesting we send our hospital ship... which I am informed doesn't exist... or the Government which controls the defence forces saying it was a good idea?

Presumably one of our ships is capable of functioning as a hospital ship, rather than currently being one.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17573

Couldn't really think of a good thread title, this being the first thread I've opened I'm sure people will forgive me....

Now, while there are posters on this site who criticize every action he undertakes, I personally quite like Enda Kenny, and he actually seems to have decent time for the Defence Forces. However, the above statement is worrying, as the Naval Service has no vessel that fits the above description in even the vaguest sense, nor ever has it (I think).

Was this a case of an advisor having a bit of craic at Enda's expense?
Enda - our very own Sarah Palin:rolleyes:

The Fusilier

Presumably one of our ships is capable of functioning as a hospital ship, rather than currently being one.
I'm no expert on the subject, but I really doubt it. In a very, very limited capacity, maybe.

darkhorse

its going to be a laugh a minute when he becomes taoiseach
i am looking forward to it

absconded1

JohnFas, there is no such ship in the fleet. And there is nothing which could function as one. Nor will there be, the building programme would appear to have been shelved or stalled.
I think it must have been said "tongue in cheek" by Enda, drawing attention to the state of the Navy. Funny.

goosebump

I like Enda Kenny too, but even I know we don't have a hospital ship.

Defence Forces - Naval Service - Flotilla

None of these ships look even capable of making it Haiti, never mind acting as hospital ships.

Just another point:

Being at sea doesn't make you immune from earthquakes if the earthquakes occur at sea.

goosebump

Maybe this is what he is referring to:

Defence Forces - Naval Service - LE Eithne

"LÉ Eithne is closely associated with Our Ladys Hospital for Sick Children, Crumlin and conducts fundraising efforts on the hospitals behalf around the coast. She also frequently brings the children down to visit the ship for a morale boosting day out, during their recuperation from illness."

The Field Marshal

The Irish Navy has no Hospital ship per se.

Naval vessels might have a ships doctor and an onboard infirmary capable of dealing with minor injuries but not serious ones. A fully equipped naval hospital ship would be required for that.
Only superpower navies could afford such vessels.

If Kenny said this he is utterly utterly misinformed.
Not only that he should have the common sense to know that the Irish navy is small and the idea of any Irish politician believing that the Irish navy possessed a "hospital ship" is ludicrous in the extreme.

If Kenny did say this then he has made a complete buffoon of himself and is showing a poor grasp of reality.

This is actually worse than his gaffe on abolishing the Seanad.

I am so appalled at this that I ask the OP to give the reference and verification of the claim that Kenny has made such a crucial faux pas.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Enda Kenny, unfortunately, is an idiot

He has a limited grasp of reality and is not fit to hold cabinet office let alone his ludicrous aspiration to become Taoiseach

Defence Forces - Naval Service - LE Eithne
LÉ Eithne is closely associated with Our Ladys Hospital for Sick Children, Crumlin and conducts fundraising efforts on the hospitals behalf around the coast. She also frequently brings the children down to visit the ship for a morale boosting day out, during their recuperation from illness.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspx?F=DAL20100121.XML&Node=24#N24
I agree to this and I commend the Government on its contribution to date to the catastrophe in Haiti. I will not have time to speak on the debate, so I would like to a make a point now. We have a Naval Service vessel that is a fully equipped hospital ship. There are medics and doctors queuing up to give of their time free of charge to assist in this catastrophe. I request the Tánaiste to see to it that this ship is made ready and sails for Haiti. It is a fully equipped hospital ship and could do enormous beneficial work offshore, just as other countries are doing during this tragedy. As it will be located offshore, it will be immune from earthquakes, and doctors and nurses in this country are more than willing to stay on that ship and carry out essential operations for those who have been devastated by the earthquake. It would represent an invaluable contribution from the Government and I will support it wholeheartedly if it commits to it.

cYp

zuiderzee

Website
amhrannua.com
Some vessels are capable of reaching Haiti, but that where it ends.
Mans obviously an idiot, apart from a few stretchers on the helo deck of Eithne, from which it is dobtful helos can still fly, it would not be in any way be a medical asset - more a hinderence than a help

We have never reached the minimum fleet requirements for basic safety, polution control and policing, and are not likely to even when our EEZ obligations are to expand.

absconded1

Kenny was taking the Pee, nothing more.

He's a close friend of more than one Naval Officer. He's well aware of the extent of the fleet and it's capabilities.

ibis

I'm pretty sure it's unrealistic to expect Mary Harney to swim all the way to Haiti, and I think it's cruel of Enda Kenny to suggest it.

The Field Marshal

That would have been handy alright...

Parliamentary Debate...
Thank you OP.
You are right.
Well thats it then.

Poor Enda I did have some hope that he might be able to provide an alternative Taoiseach but after such an elementary gaffe coming hot on the heels of the Seanad gaffe Im afraid if he ever is elected Taioseach it will be a question of Fawlty Towers and hilarious chaos will ensue.

A potential Taoiseach who cannot even be bothered to concern himself about the true maritime defence capability of our island is never to be taken seriously.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
In the country of the blind the one eyed man is king

I'm not sure which is worse... the Endanderthal thinking he's fit to lead... or his cabal of followers who think he is some sort of philosopher king

cYp

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Unfortunately Enda strikes me as the sort of person whereby if you suggested the country buy a gondola, he'd say buy two and have them breed. That press release really was a stupid idea, opening him up to ongoing ridicule.

I know the Gaelers here love the man, and I have a certain respect for the amount of work he has done in rescuing them from complete obscurity after 2002, but it is still an unassailable fact, that if they had any kind of a competent leader, they'd be leading the polls by 20-30 pts

Grumpy Jack

Kenny was taking the Pee, nothing more.

He's a close friend of more than one Naval Officer. He's well aware of the extent of the fleet and it's capabilities.
Please tell me that is sarcasm. Why would any politician "take the Pee" about a catastrophe like Haiti? Would be even more crass than showing such ignorance about the Naval Service fleet and capabilities.

Enda has no defence here. He got it spectacularly wrong. Very worrying that a man putting himself forward as Taoiseach is so ignorant about the Defence Forces.

I normally defend Enda against the jibes that he's not fit to be Taoiseach. Not on this occasion. This is bad. Really throws a question mark over his judgement.

darkhorse

they picked him because butter wouldnt melt in his mouth
which is probably true
he is the polar opposite of cjh
but to be a leader of any kind requires more than just lack of corruption / innocence

MacO'velli

I blame the spin doctors, nobody doubts Inda is an Idiot, but surely his handlers have a braincell or two?