Enda Kenny's legacy? How will Enda Kenny's time as Taoiseach be assessed?

Disillusioned democrat

It's six months since Kenny resigned as Taoiseach - a blink of en eye in historical terms, but long enough to start looking at his terms as Taoiseach in the rear view mirror.

When you're living through specific times we often forget that Taoisigh probably get more attention after they're gone as people get time to consider and judge their time in office.

For me Enda Kenny will always represent the wasted opportunity and the confirmation, as if required, that politicians are a venal breed that represent "their" people not "the" people.

FG's victory in 2011 was a vote against FF as opposed to a groundswell of support for Kenny, but he made many of the right noises early on in his initial term, but in IMHO just reverted to type after a few months in government. From "Paddy wants to know" to burying the Moriarty report in 3 months.

Kenny had the numbers and mandate to make significant positive reforms but instead just put the economy on ice for the same elite who had destroyed it in the first place and managed to thwart any accountability by nobbling any real investigations into the causes of the crash.

Sync

Nothing more constructive than a thread asking other people to do something the OPer hasn’t bothered to do.

Disillusioned democrat

Nothing more constructive than a thread asking other people to do something the OPer hasn’t bothered to do.
I have my opinion, which I shared - I was wondering what other posters thought because I'm not vain enough to think my own opinion to be definitive:roll:

artfoley56

I met a man with 2 pints in his hands who said that enda will be remembered as a coward and a quisling.

hammer

Letscoverallthisgroundagain.ie

€25 billion annual deficit with the IMF in town to a Balanced Budget.

Did he get everything right ? No
Is he a genius ? No
Is he good in debates ? No
Is he honest ? Absolutely more than most
Was he an improvement on the recent IMFF Taoisigh ? Absolutely 100%
Do you wish him well ? Absolutely

Sync

An opinion isn’t an assessment. The guy was in there for 5 years and oversaw socio and economic change. The only thing you seem to touch on is his stance on the moriarty report which was published, what: 1 week into his reign?

The rest of your OP is a cut and paste from every OP you’ve ever written. “Waaaah elite politicians are wrecking things”.

deepness

Slightly better than they guy before him, and slightly worse than the current fella.

Forgettable would be my word to describe him.

farnaby

A conservative Taoiseach leading a conservative party who in dealing with the legacy of the financial crisis did as little as possible to challenge the status quo that made it happen in the first place.

flavirostris

On the economy, he has left the country on a far more solid footing than where we were in 2009 when it appeared that Fianna Fail had effectively ended us as a country.

It's amazing how quickly people seem to have forgotten that truly dark time. FF had basically hit the self-destruct button on Ireland. We were fncked.. fubarred.. left to the kindness of strangers, who turned out not to be so kind when the chips were down.

Kenny led us through that dark time and brought the country to economic daylight. Noonan deserves most of the credit for that however. He is the real hero.

On other things not so good. Too much a captive of advisors and spin doctors and far too much enthrall to the Irish Times. I'm thinking of things like the Traveller Ethnicity bill which was a low point for Kenny.

RasherHash

It's six months since Kenny resigned as Taoiseach - a blink of en eye in historical terms, but long enough to start looking at his terms as Taoiseach in the rear view mirror.

When you're living through specific times we often forget that Taoisigh probably get more attention after they're gone as people get time to consider and judge their time in office.

For me Enda Kenny will always represent the wasted opportunity and the confirmation, as if required, that politicians are a venal breed that represent "their" people not "the" people.

FG's victory in 2011 was a vote against FF as opposed to a groundswell of support for Kenny, but he made many of the right noises early on in his initial term, but in IMHO just reverted to type after a few months in government. From "Paddy wants to know" to burying the Moriarty report in 3 months.

Kenny had the numbers and mandate to make significant positive reforms but instead just put the economy on ice for the same elite who had destroyed it in the first place and managed to thwart any accountability by nobbling any real investigations into the causes of the crash.
Enda just was, he sat on the back benches all his life, raking it in, not a fecking peep outta him and like the peanut that rises to the top of the pint, low and behold he wakes up one morning and they all says, 'jayz Inda, sure you're Taoieseach, isn't it' with big smiles on their faces.

And says Enda, 'I am sure I am, well I'll be'...

Then he brought all his collective decades in politics to bear by sitting there saying absolutely as little as possible and trying to look Taoiseachish.

And one day he woke up and they all says, 'Inda, you're not Taoiseach anymore'.

And says Enda, 'I'm not sure I'm not, well I'll be'...

The end.

Disillusioned democrat

An opinion isn’t an assessment. The guy was in there for 5 years and oversaw socio and economic change. The only thing you seem to touch on is his stance on the moriarty report which was published, what: 1 week into his reign?

The rest of your OP is a cut and paste from every OP you’ve ever written. “Waaaah elite politicians are wrecking things”.
Assessment synonyms: evaluation, judgement, gauging, rating, estimation, appraisal, opinion, analysis

Of course an assessment is an opinion.

IMHO the juxtaposition from "Paddy wants to know" to burying the Moriarty report for 6 years defines his attitude of speaking down to people while maintaining the status quo.

I kept the OP brief to not dictate the tone - but feel free to counter any points raised - like demonstrate how Kenny ensured a successful prosecution of all the guilty parties, show how our gaols are full of crooked bankers. etc.

SideysGhost

Just another inbred gombeen, managing the resources of the nation for entrenched trough-snouters foreign and domestic. Made noises early on about real reforms and had significant public support for reform from a populace heartily sick of FF corruption and incompetence, but once in power clamped firmly down on any talk of change and made it very very clear there really is no difference between FF and FG, and the status quo was going to be maintained at all costs.

Utterly failed to do anything to expose the causes of the crash or put in place measures to prevent a repeat. Even worse:

Managed to re-inflate another property bubble to insane levels within a few years of the previous one bursting. Possibly a world record for shortest time lapse between bubbles there.

Utterly failed to do anything about the appalling corruption and incompetence in the Gardai.

Utterly failed to provide even a half-assed quality of education or health or other public services which are just shambolic (and corrupt)

Utterly failed to provide indigenous economic balanced development, instead falling back on the repeatedly-failed (and corrupt) FFG model of an economy based on high property prices garnished with MNC tax scams

Useless. Just fncking useless. But what else would you expect from FFG?

greengoose2

Assessment synonyms: evaluation, judgement, gauging, rating, estimation, appraisal, opinion, analysis

Of course an assessment is an opinion.

IMHO the juxtaposition from "Paddy wants to know" to burying the Moriarty report for 6 years defines his attitude of speaking down to people while maintaining the status quo.

I kept the OP brief to not dictate the tone - but feel free to counter any points raised - like demonstrate how Kenny ensured a successful prosecution of all the guilty parties, show how our gaols are full of crooked bankers. etc.
Sync is FG royalty!

hammer

Managed to re-inflate another property bubble to insane levels within a few years of the previous one bursting. Possibly a world record for shortest time lapse between bubbles there.
Jaysus he must be some sort of genius then. I ass-u-me he bought loads of property before he put the policy into place :)

Angler

Jaysus he must be some sort of genius then. I ass-u-me he bought loads of property before he put the policy into place :)
Indeed , that's the one thing he's not accused of on this thread .

Golden Phoenix

I wonder what will be the next lucrative appointment for Enda?

Based on merit of course.

Disillusioned democrat

Whether he did or didn't buy property isn't really the issue - he just made it impossible for almost everyone else to buy property unless you're a REIT or a "charity" vulture fund. That his successor Varadkar doesn't even know what an "affordable" home should cost just shows how opposed FG are to the idea of little people ever owning their own home again.

TheWolf

I wonder what will be the next lucrative appointment for Enda?

Based on merit of course.
Some gig in Europe.
That's where all failed blueshirts end up...
It's a way of buying their silence.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies