• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

Disillusioned democrat

Rank him against the other Taoisigh we've had (shouldn't be too hard, there's not that many).

From worst to best:
  1. Ahern
  2. Cowen
  3. Haughey
  4. Lynch
  5. Liam Cosgrave
  6. Fitzgerald
  7. De Valera
  8. Costello
  9. Lemass
  10. WT Cosgrave

So OP; where does he go?
When you put it like that it's very depressing - it looks like we haven't had a decent Taoiseach for decades.

His legacy isn't a score though, it's an impression.

One thing is for sure though, for a republic with some really good and decent people we've let ourselves down badly in the leaders we elect.

culmore

He took over a Country that was Bankrupt and run by outsiders, our youth were fleeing the Country daily, nobody would lend us money , unemployment was nearly 25% and there was no light at the end of the tunnel. He left the Country back in the hands of our own Officials , we can borrow money for nearly zero % , unemployment is back down to 6% nearly full employment and we have the fastest growing economy in Europe for the last few years , the country still has a lot of problems to deal with but after 6 years of Enda it is a mighty improvement on what he took over.

'orebel

Rank him against the other Taoisigh we've had (shouldn't be too hard, there's not that many).

From worst to best:
  1. Ahern
  2. Cowen
  3. Haughey
  4. Lynch
  5. Liam Cosgrave
  6. Fitzgerald
  7. De Valera
  8. Costello
  9. Lemass
  10. WT Cosgrave

So OP; where does he go?

jmcc

The village idiot doesn't have a legacy apart from being a Brussels lapdog willing to sell out the Irish people for a pat on the head from a French midget.

gerhard dengler

His legacy is that faced with the near total political demise of FF in 2011, Kenny managed to fail to get his party elected as a single party government.

And that failure and everything else which has rolled from 2011-now is Kenny's legacy.

Disillusioned democrat

What I struggle with is the fact that I don't believe the recovery had to be so unevenly distributed.

I don't think anyone can argue that during Kenny's term there was a full 180 degree turnaround in our "national" circumstances, as outlined in a few posts above - from highest to lowest unemployment rates, from a huge deficit to about breaking even, etc.

But below that it has been a real tale of two cities - there have been winners and losers - winners for no other reason than they're FG cronies and losers for no reason other than they're voiceless.

At no stage has someone been able to explain - for example - why vulture funds were able to get charity status when they were already getting the deal of the century, or why housing wasn't prioritised when the state owned more land than God and had access to 1000s of cheap sparks, chippies and brickies.

We could have had the national recovery and still had the reforms to prevent what's happening now - another bubble - ever happening again.

TheWolf

Last edited:
Last edited:
On Irish tax, anyone earning over €34.5k pays 49% on everything they earn over that relatively low level - a tiny fraction of the threshold in other EU countries.
Indeed.

The same threshold is set at £45k sterling in The North.

Uganda

Can you imagine SF in power after 2011? We'd have a refugee crisis worse than Syria. You'd see appeals from Unicef to help the poor children in Ireland.
Wasn't peeeerce arguing that we should follow Syriza and go down the path of Greece?

Well done Kenny that he rejected thst sh1te.

Uganda

He took over a Country that was Bankrupt and run by outsiders, our youth were fleeing the Country daily, nobody would lend us money , unemployment was nearly 25% and there was no light at the end of the tunnel. He left the Country back in the hands of our own Officials , we can borrow money for nearly zero % , unemployment is back down to 6% nearly full employment and we have the fastest growing economy in Europe for the last few years , the country still has a lot of problems to deal with but after 6 years of Enda it is a mighty improvement on what he took over.

Ah now, don't be bringing in your oul facts into this shinner w@ankathon.

Uganda

I don't think anyone can argue that during Kenny's term there was a full 180 degree turnaround in our "national" circumstances, as outlined in a few posts above - from highest to lowest unemployment rates, from a huge deficit to about breaking even, etc.

n.
Hear hear.

loner

Steadied the ship when we were headed towards the rocks in 2011/12. I'll give him some credit for that.

But missed the chance for fundamental reform of Irish government, public service and society. Kenny (perhaps due to marriage to a former Haughey aide), mastered the art of keeping friends close but enemies closer. So it was about maintaining the status quo, ensuring nobody in receipt of public monies lost out too much, and the delivery of services wasn't reformed in any meaningful way.

Added to this no real effort to take on vested property, legal and business interests.

Terrible waste of a good crisis. Operated the system he found well, but never addressed any of the flaws within.
A Taoiseach cannot do the job effectively in a vacuum--Kenny did his best but was badly let down by his advisers--you must have good team of people around you to keep you fully and properly informed on issues--he did not have such a team .
Issues that led to his failures could have been avoided had he been kept properly informed.

HarshBuzz

Worse than the monumentally corrupt CJH?

It's an opinion I suppose. Personally, considering the scale of the challenges faced (which we all seem to have forgotten) and successfully overcome by his Government, I'd have him at 8.

tipofdiceberg

A Taoiseach cannot do the job effectively in a vacuum--Kenny did his best but was badly let down by his advisers--you must have good team of people around you to keep you fully and properly informed on issues--he did not have such a team .
Issues that led to his failures could have been avoided had he been kept properly informed.
He choose his own advisers.

hiding behind a poster

A conservative Taoiseach leading a conservative party who in dealing with the legacy of the financial crisis did as little as possible to challenge the status quo that made it happen in the first place.
Cough. Marriage Referendum. Cough.

hiding behind a poster

Enda just was, he sat on the back benches all his life, raking it in, not a fecking peep outta him and like the peanut that rises to the top of the pint, low and behold he wakes up one morning and they all says, 'jayz Inda, sure you're Taoieseach, isn't it' with big smiles on their faces.

And says Enda, 'I am sure I am, well I'll be'...

Then he brought all his collective decades in politics to bear by sitting there saying absolutely as little as possible and trying to look Taoiseachish.

And one day he woke up and they all says, 'Inda, you're not Taoiseach anymore'.

And says Enda, 'I'm not sure I'm not, well I'll be'...

The end.
Even by p.ie standards, that's a moronically stupid and ill-informed post.

hiding behind a poster

Assessment synonyms: evaluation, judgement, gauging, rating, estimation, appraisal, opinion, analysis

Of course an assessment is an opinion.

IMHO the juxtaposition from "Paddy wants to know" to burying the Moriarty report for 6 years defines his attitude of speaking down to people while maintaining the status quo.

I kept the OP brief to not dictate the tone - but feel free to counter any points raised - like demonstrate how Kenny ensured a successful prosecution of all the guilty parties, show how our gaols are full of crooked bankers. etc.
No, you picked one thing that annoyed you (and wasn't within the government's remit to act on, unless you don't believe in the separation of powers between executive, legislature and judiciary), made up some other stuff, and ignored his government's many achievements.

hiding behind a poster

By good work do you mean unaffordable homes, 25% of the population on hospital waiting lists, 3000 homeless children, a crippling tax burden on modest earners, a creaking water system
That's what you get when there's a massive financial crisis that destroys both public and private investment. It takes a long time to fix.

hiding behind a poster

The village idiot doesn't have a legacy apart from being a Brussels lapdog willing to sell out the Irish people for a pat on the head from a French midget.
Remind everyone what happened at that summit.

Whenever you're ready.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom