• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

Lumpy Talbot

Top Poster Of Month
Twitter
No
No, real economics. Look at the figures.
The international economic and business press did and called 'bullsh1t' on it. Enda Kenny took over when the country was near bankrupt- in fact to all intents and purposes it was.

It is hardly surprising that one of the world's most open and unprotected economies should have some economic indicators move upwards from the 'she's about to implode' level on the economic valve since the economic crisis of 2007 to 2011.

None of that is down to Enda Kenny or FF's current mudguard, Fine Gael. He could have spent the last decade masturbating in a corner and nothing would have been any different with the possible exception of the style of photograph on a magazine cover.

Taoiseachs and two creaky old men's social clubs from a not very impressive civil war have absolutely no effect whatsoever on Irish economic indicators and whoever thinks they do is a fool.

hiding behind a poster

The international economic and business press did and called 'bullsh1t' on it. Enda Kenny took over when the country was near bankrupt- in fact to all intents and purposes it was.

It is hardly surprising that one of the world's most open and unprotected economies should have some economic indicators move upwards from the 'she's about to implode' level on the economic valve since the economic crisis of 2007 to 2011.

None of that is down to Enda Kenny or FF's current mudguard, Fine Gael. He could have spent the last decade masturbating in a corner and nothing would have been any different with the possible exception of the style of photograph on a magazine cover.

Taoiseachs and two creaky old men's social clubs from a not very impressive civil war have absolutely no effect whatsoever on Irish economic indicators and whoever thinks they do is a fool.
If the economic transformation was nothing to do with the man at the top, why was nobody predicting it when he took office?

Lumpy Talbot

Top Poster Of Month
Twitter
No
If the economic transformation was nothing to do with the man at the top, why was nobody predicting it when he took office?
Predicting what? That the world continued to turn? The man's a superannuated school-teacher and there is still no indication he's any kind of accidental economist.

He was a frontman for the IMF. Nothing more. And he even managed to make that look woodenly boring.

hiding behind a poster

Predicting what? That the world continued to turn? The man's a superannuated teacher and there is still no indication he's any kind of accidental economist.

He was a frontman for the IMF. Nothing more. And he even managed to make that look woodenly boring.
If he was a frontman for the IMF, he wouldn't have changed key aspects of the IMF programme, to their obvious displeasure. And he never said he was an economist - he was a politician, who had to take difficult decisions and live or die by them.

TakeitAll

If he was a frontman for the IMF, he wouldn't have changed key aspects of the IMF programme, to their obvious displeasure. And he never said he was an economist - he was a politician, who had to take difficult decisions and live or die by them.
What key aspects? He or Irish Govt never achieved in getting a better deal with EU or IMF. Kenny should be remembered as extremely fortunate to have ever been leader of FG and Taoiseach. His handlers had to keep him shielded from any tough questions during his reign as Taosieach as he had been found out previously as not the sharpest tool.

valamhic

Last edited:
Last edited:
Shortly after he became Taoiseah in 2011, I approached him at a meeting. I told him that the renewable energy plan was adopted without compliance with the proper assessment at strategic level. I told him that wind energy does not work and that the ESB issued a report in 2004 to say the contribution of wind energy tended towards zero. That if it went ahead without the proper assessment our environment would be destroyed, we would have among the highest electric prices in the world and that it would eventually turn the electorate against the established parties like Fine Gael. He told me he would not last that long in the job when that happened. He gave me a note for to Meet Pat Rabbitt. He did not care a hoot.

It has come to pass, Kenny is gone. The crackpot pylon and wind farm craze if powering ahead but being stopped by citizens in the courts. The public have come to realize that politicians don't care about them or their environment. Ultimately it is Fine Gael that will lose the rural vote.

Lumpy Talbot

Top Poster Of Month
Twitter
No
His decisions were made for him BY the IMF. And if he or Noonan had done anything to 'displease' the IMF neither of them would have been in their job very long.

Lumpy Talbot

Top Poster Of Month
Twitter
No
Shortly after he became Taoiseah in 2011, I approached him at a meeting. I told him that the renewable energy plan was adopted without compliance with the proper assessment at strategic level. I told him that wind energy does not work and that the ESB issued a report in 2004 to say the contribution of wind energy tended towards zero. That if it went ahead without the proper assessment our environment would be destroyed, we would have among the highest electric prices in the world and that it would eventually turn the electorate against the established parties like Fine Gael. He told me he would not last that long in the job when that happened. He gave me a note for to Meet Pat Rabbitt. He did not care a hoot.

It has come to pass, Kenny is gone. The crackpot pylon and wind farm craze if powering ahead but being stopped by citizens in the courts. The public have come to realize that politicians don't care about them or their environment. Ultimately it is Fine Gael that will lose the rural vote.
Well as usual in Ireland the whole wind energy thing is set up as a new scam. There are a few ex-politicos in that space with directorships in renewable energy companies ready to stick their paw as far as possible into that particular emerging industry just as soon as enough public money starts streaming into it.

Wouldn't surprise me if there was a compliance issue. If there wasn't from the start there soon will be with some of the corrupt shytehawks hanging around Irish politics eyeing it up.

Lumpy Talbot

Top Poster Of Month
Twitter
No
He's a man who has never been known to have any kind of political philosophy. Either his own or following anyone else's.

A GAA player and teacher whose Dadda had the seat before. He's of a kind and was never very likely to do anything unusual or have any original ideas.

A mixture of being lucky enough to hang around until events conspired to make him taoiseach at a certain time. No more than that.

Half the retired senior civil servants in Ireland can claim the same level of attainment.

The Nal

My only conclusion is that he appeared to like ice cream

HarshBuzz

HarshBuzz

His decisions were made for him BY the IMF. And if he or Noonan had done anything to 'displease' the IMF neither of them would have been in their job very long.
Should we maybe then assess 'The Troika' as the best Government we've ever had?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom