• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Enda lies about the senate

thetruthsback

Last week, Fine Gael endorsed a Bill to extend the range of bodies with the right to nominate candidates for election to the Senate. This was in spite of the fact that Enda Kenny believes the Senate should be abolished. Please, who is fooling who?????

LeDroit

Last week, Fine Gael endorsed a Bill to extend the range of bodies with the right to nominate candidates for election to the Senate. This was in spite of the fact that Enda Kenny believes the Senate should be abolished. Please, who is fooling who?????
The next Dáil will have a Seanad. FG can't abolish the Seanad before they're in power. The test will come if they are in power as to whether they abolish the Seanad for the following Dáil.

The Seanad is mentioned in a great many articles of the constitution. To 'abolish' it FG would virtually have to produce a new constitution. I think they'll realise that and will neuter it through legislation instead.

thetruthsback

The next Dáil will have a Seanad. FG can't abolish the Seanad before they're in power. The test will come if they are in power as to whether they abolish the Seanad for the following Dáil.

The Seanad is mentioned in a great many articles of the constitution. To 'abolish' it FG would virtually have to produce a new constitution. I think they'll realise that and will neuter it through legislation instead.
Thanks for the explanation but shouldn't a future Taoiseach have known all that information before shot his mouth off???

spidermom

A referendum????
(SIGH!)

Ah Well

I'm sure that in time if and when folk vote in Inda & the Gang or/and Happy Gilmore & Crew to take over the reins that they'll find nothing will dramatically change despite what folk might hope for/aspire towards and perhaps even what the newly voted in might hoped for/aspired towards (or some of them)

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Change of the Guard is all it shall be folks - don't get too excited now

LeDroit

A referendum????
(SIGH!)
No need for a referendum if he circumvents the existing structures. He can't minimise the number of senators, reduce their sitting time, ignore their rulings, refuse to consider their legislative musings etc. The Seanad will be gone in all but name.

thetruthsback

I'm sure that in time if and when folk vote in Inda & the Gang or/and Happy Gilmore & Crew to take over the reins that they'll find nothing will dramatically change despite what folk might hope for/aspire towards and perhaps even what the newly voted in might hoped for/aspired towards (or some of them)

I really think its time to dust-down the Grandfathers riffle and head for the hills with the column again. Anyone, up for a rising?

spidermom

Change of the Guard is all it shall be folks - don't get too excited now
Agree...but not....the new crowd will be as you stated(undoubtedly)....but I refuse to believe that everything will be the same....mind you the tax increases,spending cuts and misery will be the same...!!!....

No need for a referendum if he circumvents the existing structures. He can't minimise the number of senators, reduce their sitting time, ignore their rulings, refuse to consider their legislative musings etc. The Seanad will be gone in all but name.
presume you meant he CAN...minimise...reduce...ignore...refuse...(?)

(actually is that not what happens now????)

Ah Well

I really think its time to dust-down the Grandfathers riffle and head for the hills with the column again. Anyone, up for a rising?
Bit different this time ... instead of being screwed over by outsiders, we've been screwed over by our own - which is far far far worse .... the screwed over by outsiders might come in time of course ... again ...

So I'd recommend before engaging on any missions to firstly get one's affairs and potential wellbeing (and those of one's family) in order to the best of one's ability ... winter is coming ......

Desperate Dan

Did anyone expect change with electing a go!!!!!e like that. FG and the WP/Lp will shout their mouth and it will come to nothing. I think its time to dust down.

TommyO'Brien

You are fooling yourself.

Fine Gael policy is to hold a referendum early in the lifespan of the new Dáil to abolish the Seanad. As it would take some time to implement the new checks and balances mechanism for use in a single chamber Oireachtas, the abolition of the Seanad and the reduction in the size of the Dáil would both kick into play at following general election.

All that was in a document published a year ago.

There will be a new Seanad elected 60 days after the current Dáil's dissolution as Kenny will not yet be in power at that stage to rewrite the constitution to remove it and hold the referendum. The bill simply sorts out the mess that is the nominating bodies for the Seanad. The bill simply ensures that if we are going to be stuck with the Seanad for one more term, at least we can make it slightly more democratic and less of a mess for the remainder of its life.

It is perfectly simple. You could have got off your backside and checked. But instead you jumped to conclusions and made wild sweeping allegations without having a clue what you were talking about. Well done. :rolleyes:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies