Enda lies about the senate

Victor Meldrew

The Seanad is mentioned in a great many articles of the constitution. To 'abolish' it FG would virtually have to produce a new constitution. I think they'll realise that and will neuter it through legislation instead.
The whole Seanad thing is another reason Enda is a waste of space. The Seanad needs to be more directly elected and voluntary, not rehab / finishing school for TDs.

Easy to do, that. If there was the will..

thetruthsback

The whole Seanad thing is another reason Enda is a waste of space. The Seanad needs to be more directly elected and voluntary, not rehab / finishing school for TDs.

Easy to do, that. If there was the will..

Jesus, the current crowd of incompetents are bad, but is the alternative even worse?

Rocky

You do realise that the Seanad would have to vote on this right? Hence it makes sence to Enda to reform it in his favour.
The most the Seanad can do is delay legalisation for 3 months, so yes it would have to vote on it and yes it could reject, but then all the government would have to do is wait 3 months, which they obviously could do.

redhead101

The next Dáil will have a Seanad. FG can't abolish the Seanad before they're in power. The test will come if they are in power as to whether they abolish the Seanad for the following Dáil.

The Seanad is mentioned in a great many articles of the constitution. To 'abolish' it FG would virtually have to produce a new constitution. I think they'll realise that and will neuter it through legislation instead.
So you want to turn a costly anachronism that is virtually powerless into a costly anachronism that is completely powerless.

Just scrap it already!

Rocky

The next Dáil will have a Seanad. FG can't abolish the Seanad before they're in power. The test will come if they are in power as to whether they abolish the Seanad for the following Dáil.

You don't. You just need one amendment that removes all references to the Seanad from the Constitution. Or at least I think that's all you need.

culmore

The Senate and most of the TD must go. when the IMF come in they wont worry about the constitution, they will just do what has to be done and rightly so if we wont do it ourselves

Baron von Biffo

I must be getting better at this, it usually take longer than 5 days for evidence of the accuracy of my predictions to appear. :)

turdsl

The senate should be abolished, I do not agree to cutting the number of TDs. The way the present Dail works is a complete farce, The whole country could be talking about something and you would not be allowed to raise in the Dail chamber. It needs radical reform, There never has been anything done about the Abbeylara case.The committee system seems to work well. You will hear questions about certain legislation and the answer will be not this term.The Dail is just one big set piece plus reading statements for the record.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
It's a bit daft saying you'll abolish the Seanad, without having a properly thought out set of reforms for the legislature, and indeed a whole new constitution.

Similarly the Dublin Mayor thing comes across as a gimmick. It might be a good idea, but only as part of a new plan for local government, and again a new constitution.

There's a lot to be said for whatever party could could come up with a "better way to govern ourselves" blueprint, which would lead to a root and branch reform of Bunreacht.
I have a lot of ideas on the subject, if anyone is interested.

thetruthsback

It's a bit daft saying you'll abolish the Seanad, without having a properly thought out set of reforms for the legislature, and indeed a whole new constitution.

Similarly the Dublin Mayor thing comes across as a gimmick. It might be a good idea, but only as part of a new plan for local government, and again a new constitution.

There's a lot to be said for whatever party could could come up with a "better way to govern ourselves" blueprint, which would lead to a root and branch reform of Bunreacht.

Excellent points, I wish people would listen,

paddywhack

Would be better if they thought about who can sack a senator.

wombat

They can't abolish it, all they can do is ask the people if they want to abolish it.

hiding behind a poster

They can't abolish it, all they can do is ask the people if they want to abolish it.
Exactly. The thread title is wrong, but it seems you can title threads about Enda Kenny any way you like on this site, with accuracy not being a priority.

wombat

Exactly. The thread title is wrong, but it seems you can title threads about Enda Kenny any way you like on this site, with accuracy not being a priority.
Since when did accuracy get in the way of a good rant?:lol:

TommyO'Brien

Eh . . . they did. The paper runs to 101 pages. The Seanad is just one small part.

Other bits include

• reducing the size of the Dáil
  • strengthening the committee system
  • strengthening the role of committees
  • a new budgetary system and independent verification of budget figures.
  • new transparency laws include an "Open Government Act"
  • A whistleblower's law protecting them
  • A new process of lawmaking, with laws reviewed for their effectiveness after it has been operational for a period.
Fine Gael published its proposals to radically reform the system of lawmaking last year.

http://www.finegael.org/upload/NewPolitics.pdf

It is about to publish a major document on radically reforming the system of government in the next few weeks.

It also published a major document on reforming the semi-state sector, as well as documents on reforming the education and health systems.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies