Enda's masterstroke

enby

Tonight saw the final destruction of the myth of FF economic competence as Lenihan was destroyed on live TV by a rejuvenated Noonan. Who in the Lenihan-worshipping commenteriat would have predicted that six months ago? Maybe they will consider giving credit to Enda Kenny for having the wisdom to appoint Noonan to the Finance portfolio but somehow I doubt it.

It seems that Enda is getting the very best out of his team. The country needs a Chairman and not a Chief

kate1001

Must say Noonan was excellent and spoke in plain simple language remained relaxed and the £90m point is what will stick in one's memory from the interview.

RahenyFG

I haven't a word out of Enda Kenny's mouth on this budget yet, where he is?

TommyO'Brien

Tonight saw the final destruction of the myth of FF economic competence as Lenihan was destroyed on live TV by a rejuvenated Noonan. Who in the Lenihan-worshipping commenteriat would have predicted that six months ago? Maybe they will consider giving credit to Enda Kenny for having the wisdom to appoint Noonan to the Finance portfolio but somehow I doubt it.

It seems that Enda is getting the very best out of his team. The country needs a Chairman and not a Chief
Kenny is a very effective manager of a team and a great judge of talent. Remember, when Kenny took over he found Bruton wasn't a spokesperson for anything. He remedied that immediately. Noonan wasn't available at the time because of his wife's illness. Noonan is now available and Kenny matched him perfectly to the right job.

Few would have put newbies like James Reilly and Leo Varadkar on the front bench in their first Dáil. Kenny did, and both have been spectacular successes and proved Kenny's judgement to be correct, with Reilly producing the widely praised Faircare policy.

Kenny has produced a team that has produced detailed policies to radically change the political system, the economy, the health system, the public sector, etc. No other party has produced such an amount of specific proposals in opposition.

Baron von Biffo

Appointing Noonan wasn't a master stroke, he was the only one left. Bruton had tried to oust Kenny and the man promoted to replace him in Finance stabbed him in the back 48 hours later.

CorkHurler

After Bruton bailed out he offered the job to Kieran O'Donnell who said "Sorry Enda I dont have confidence in you either, I'm off". So poor Enda was stuck with having to bring back Noonan. All Noonan can offer is a glib remark and politcal jibe, his grasp of economics is rudimentary to be put it mildly. I doubt he'll get much more than a committee chairmanship after the election.

Halo

I would have loved to have seen this. fair play to noonan.

rob

I would have loved to have seen this. fair play to noonan.
you can prob get it on rte player, maybe not till tomorrow

neiphin

he called lendahand an "illusionist"
brilliant

Decko

Noonan was impressive (and thats an understatement) -- he was so so good you would have to wonder is this the same Noonan that led FG to their worst ever election in 2002

He made total and utter mince meat of Lenihan - AND scored well against Labour by pointing out that they didnt want to go as far as FF on cuts

This election will be about tax and FG could score well with the public

Last edited:

fecker

Ah c'mon, A very short exchange, 20 minutes, tops. please, are you a Fine Gael member? Noonan is very forensic and Lenihan struggled but, anyone of the FF cabinet would struggle (Ryan v J Burton was very short) Where was the appointed 'Dear leader'? Why didn'd he take charge on prime-time? Please, you sound like tonic/hal/etc...in opposition.

I ask, an election first and then a budget. We as citizens who are non-devotees of any political party are deserving of this, it's in our name, is it not?

Was in work for 12 hours, no radio. As always come to these posts far too late. Take the budget apart for me, if you can. Don't 'cheer lead' a guy who noone wants as (was the spelling of Taos....anyway) Leader of Government as if it's the second comming, pleeeeeasseee!

Foghorn

Kenny is a very effective manager of a team and a great judge of talent. Remember, when Kenny took over he found Bruton wasn't a spokesperson for anything. He remedied that immediately. Noonan wasn't available at the time because of his wife's illness. Noonan is now available and Kenny matched him perfectly to the right job.

Few would have put newbies like James Reilly and Leo Varadkar on the front bench in their first Dáil. Kenny did, and both have been spectacular successes and proved Kenny's judgement to be correct, with Reilly producing the widely praised Faircare policy.

Kenny has produced a team that has produced detailed policies to radically change the political system, the economy, the health system, the public sector, etc. No other party has produced such an amount of specific proposals in opposition.
You are right. He is a legend. That is why he is doing so well in the polls! :rolleyes:

flavirostris

There was a thread a few weeks ago where various posters with no clue said Noonan was a lightweight on economics and not in charge of his brief/reliant on advisors etc.

Hopefully tonight's debate will shut up some of these people who don't seem to be familiar with Noonan's record as a finance spokesman.

He was the one who eviscerated McCreevy's tax individualisation budget in 2000. He will find the weaknesses in anything like that and go though them for a shortcut.

Keane

After Bruton bailed out he offered the job to Kieran O'Donnell who said "Sorry Enda I dont have confidence in you either, I'm off". So poor Enda was stuck with having to bring back Noonan. All Noonan can offer is a glib remark and politcal jibe, his grasp of economics is rudimentary to be put it mildly. I doubt he'll get much more than a committee chairmanship after the election.
Another pathetic effort....were you part of the failed negotiation team that went to Walsh looking to get Sean Og back on the panel for next year??

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies