• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Ending Homelessness Public Meeting


pobail

New member
Joined
Oct 25, 2004
Messages
3
Dublin Sinn Féin will be holding a public meeting on the issue of ending homelessness in the Royal Dublin Hotel on Tuesday, December 19th at 7.30pm.
Speakers at the event will include Fr Peter McVerry, Brendan Dowling from the Community Forum, Chris Meehan who was homeless for 25 years and Sinn Féin MEP Mary Lou McDonald.

http://www.dublinsinnfein.com/events/2515
 

jady88

Active member
Joined
Mar 25, 2006
Messages
130
pobail said:
Dublin Sinn Féin will be holding a public meeting on the issue of ending homelessness in the Royal Dublin Hotel on Tuesday, December 19th at 7.30pm.
Speakers at the event will include Fr Peter McVerry, Brendan Dowling from the Community Forum, Chris Meehan who was homeless for 25 years and Sinn Féin MEP Mary Lou McDonald.

http://www.dublinsinnfein.com/events/2515
I support anymove to end homelessness but i think we must acknowledge that the homelessness of today has more to do with medical condition as opposed to economic.
 
Joined
Feb 5, 2003
Messages
12
jady88 said:
pobail said:
Dublin Sinn Féin will be holding a public meeting on the issue of ending homelessness in the Royal Dublin Hotel on Tuesday, December 19th at 7.30pm.
Speakers at the event will include Fr Peter McVerry, Brendan Dowling from the Community Forum, Chris Meehan who was homeless for 25 years and Sinn Féin MEP Mary Lou McDonald.

http://www.dublinsinnfein.com/events/2515
I support anymove to end homelessness but i think we must acknowledge that the homelessness of today has more to do with medical condition as opposed to economic.
??
Can you elaborate?
 

jady88

Active member
Joined
Mar 25, 2006
Messages
130
dealmachtigeier said:
jady88 said:
pobail said:
Dublin Sinn Féin will be holding a public meeting on the issue of ending homelessness in the Royal Dublin Hotel on Tuesday, December 19th at 7.30pm.
Speakers at the event will include Fr Peter McVerry, Brendan Dowling from the Community Forum, Chris Meehan who was homeless for 25 years and Sinn Féin MEP Mary Lou McDonald.

http://www.dublinsinnfein.com/events/2515
I support anymove to end homelessness but i think we must acknowledge that the homelessness of today has more to do with medical condition as opposed to economic.
??
Can you elaborate?
As far as i am aware don't the huge majority of our homeless have mental problems? Not to mention drink.
I am not to sure of a solution I believe we need to assist the mentally ill ones at least into some form of institution were they could get the care they needed and the drunks might be "rehabed"
 

rover

Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2006
Messages
69
jady88 said:
As far as i am aware don't the huge majority of our homeless have mental problems? Not to mention drink.
I am not to sure of a solution I believe we need to assist the mentally ill ones at least into some form of institution were they could get the care they needed and the drunks might be "rehabed"
to be honest i think thats an outrageous generalisation.

all homeless people have problems that extend beyond the lack of a roof over their head. but to say that all of them are mentally ill or drunks is going too far
 

jady88

Active member
Joined
Mar 25, 2006
Messages
130
rover said:
jady88 said:
As far as i am aware don't the huge majority of our homeless have mental problems? Not to mention drink.
I am not to sure of a solution I believe we need to assist the mentally ill ones at least into some form of institution were they could get the care they needed and the drunks might be "rehabed"
to be honest i think thats an outrageous generalisation.

all homeless people have problems that extend beyond the lack of a roof over their head. but to say that all of them are mentally ill or drunks is going too far
I never said that they were all mentally ill or drunk, I was under the impression from reading about this topic that that was the case and if i am wrong then i wholeheartedly apologise.
 

rkeane

Active member
Joined
Aug 12, 2005
Messages
109
I support anymove to end homelessness but i think we must acknowledge that the homelessness of today has more to do with medical condition as opposed to economic.
I spent a number of years working with homeless psychiatric patients, to my mind there are a number of factors at the root of homelessness, none of which are easily solved. The primary cause in our catchment area was drug & alcohol dependency. These factors resulted in the patients developing psychiatric conditions. On the housing side we tried to assist patients...of the many we secured accommodation for only a tiny percentage stayed off the streets.
 

rover

Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2006
Messages
69
in fact i think the biggest causes of homelessness among single men are release from prison/state care, and breakdown of marriage
 

pobail

New member
Joined
Oct 25, 2004
Messages
3
It must be acknowledged that there are a myriad of reasons why people are homeless, they, like any other group, are not homogenous. But all problems can and should be dealt with, whether they be mental illness, addiction, economic or other. There is no justification for homelessness in an Ireland awash with money. And it's not just those on the streets, there are also many in emergency accomodation for long periods of time that also need to be adequately housed.
The problem can be tackled, all it needs is the political will. Unfortunately homeless people don't vote and therefore their considerations are often ignored by the establishment parties.
 

jady88

Active member
Joined
Mar 25, 2006
Messages
130
pobail said:
It must be acknowledged that there are a myriad of reasons why people are homeless, they, like any other group, are not homogenous. But all problems can and should be dealt with, whether they be mental illness, addiction, economic or other. There is no justification for homelessness in an Ireland awash with money. And it's not just those on the streets, there are also many in emergency accomodation for long periods of time that also need to be adequately housed.
The problem can be tackled, all it needs is the political will. Unfortunately homeless people don't vote and therefore their considerations are often ignored by the establishment parties.
Whilst the whole front of this message is totally agreeable i have to ask are you anti-establishment? In what way?
 

popper

Active member
Joined
Oct 4, 2004
Messages
297
It would be easy enough to become homeless now even without any exacerbating problems such as drink or drugs. I know people who have lost their homes but who have been lucky enough to have friends or family to take them in for a while. Most of them were working at the time. Not everyone has that safety net.
 

jady88

Active member
Joined
Mar 25, 2006
Messages
130
popper said:
It would be easy enough to become homeless now even without any exacerbating problems such as drink or drugs. I know people who have lost their homes but who have been lucky enough to have friends or family to take them in for a while. Most of them were working at the time. Not everyone has that safety net.
We have a good enough social security system and community spirit in this nation to prevent homelessness.
 
Joined
Feb 5, 2003
Messages
12
jady88 said:
dealmachtigeier said:
jady88 said:
pobail said:
Dublin Sinn Féin will be holding a public meeting on the issue of ending homelessness in the Royal Dublin Hotel on Tuesday, December 19th at 7.30pm.
Speakers at the event will include Fr Peter McVerry, Brendan Dowling from the Community Forum, Chris Meehan who was homeless for 25 years and Sinn Féin MEP Mary Lou McDonald.

http://www.dublinsinnfein.com/events/2515
I support anymove to end homelessness but i think we must acknowledge that the homelessness of today has more to do with medical condition as opposed to economic.
??
Can you elaborate?
As far as i am aware don't the huge majority of our homeless have mental problems? Not to mention drink.
I am not to sure of a solution I believe we need to assist the mentally ill ones at least into some form of institution were they could get the care they needed and the drunks might be "rehabed"
Until a month ago, a man called Louis, used to sit from dawn till dusk on a piece of cardboard on the Astrid Square in front of Antwerp's Central Station. He'd been there for 10 years, (since he'd been kciked out of the army for drinking too much) doing the same thing, in all weathers.

From what passers-by would drop in his plastic cup he'd have enough money per day to buy about 6 cans of supermarket, own brand, beer. So it wouldn't be unusual for some passers-by sineg him with a can in his hand to assume he was a heavy drinker.

Anyway, one day last month a couple from a town called Aalst came to visit Antwerp, taking the train. They stopped in front of Louis and asked if he'd look after their 2 children - they'd be back in about 10 mins. Both children were younger than 8 years as far as i can remember. Louis thought this strange but didn't refuse.

Now the parents, who were drug addicts, went off to get their fix, but decided to shoot up there and then .... leaving Louis wandering about the streets of the train station with the 2 children, trying to find their parents for them.

To cut a long story short, shopkeepers who knew Louis approached him, he explained so all decided to call the police. Louis himself, flabbergasted that parents could leave their children behind like that.

The parents came back after they'd come down, about 6 hours later, and when they couldn't find the children, called the police to report them missing, perhaps kidnapped.



Louis, then just a homeless guy, is not on the Astrid Square any more. The media reported him as a 'hero', and he's in the process of getting a job and finding a place to live with the help of the authorities.

The parents were arrested.


Who needed more 'rehab' in that instance? The homeless individual, or the people with a roof over their head.


(Simplistic story, i know, but we just need to be careful of generalisations.)
 

jady88

Active member
Joined
Mar 25, 2006
Messages
130
dealmachtigeier said:
jady88 said:
dealmachtigeier said:
jady88 said:
pobail said:
Dublin Sinn Féin will be holding a public meeting on the issue of ending homelessness in the Royal Dublin Hotel on Tuesday, December 19th at 7.30pm.
Speakers at the event will include Fr Peter McVerry, Brendan Dowling from the Community Forum, Chris Meehan who was homeless for 25 years and Sinn Féin MEP Mary Lou McDonald.

http://www.dublinsinnfein.com/events/2515
I support anymove to end homelessness but i think we must acknowledge that the homelessness of today has more to do with medical condition as opposed to economic.
??
Can you elaborate?
As far as i am aware don't the huge majority of our homeless have mental problems? Not to mention drink.
I am not to sure of a solution I believe we need to assist the mentally ill ones at least into some form of institution were they could get the care they needed and the drunks might be "rehabed"
Until a month ago, a man called Louis, used to sit from dawn till dusk on a piece of cardboard on the Astrid Square in front of Antwerp's Central Station. He'd been there for 10 years, (since he'd been kciked out of the army for drinking too much) doing the same thing, in all weathers.

From what passers-by would drop in his plastic cup he'd have enough money per day to buy about 6 cans of supermarket, own brand, beer. So it wouldn't be unusual for some passers-by sineg him with a can in his hand to assume he was a heavy drinker.

Anyway, one day last month a couple from a town called Aalst came to visit Antwerp, taking the train. They stopped in front of Louis and asked if he'd look after their 2 children - they'd be back in about 10 mins. Both children were younger than 8 years as far as i can remember. Louis thought this strange but didn't refuse.

Now the parents, who were drug addicts, went off to get their fix, but decided to shoot up there and then .... leaving Louis wandering about the streets of the train station with the 2 children, trying to find their parents for them.

To cut a long story short, shopkeepers who knew Louis approached him, he explained so all decided to call the police. Louis himself, flabbergasted that parents could leave their children behind like that.

The parents came back after they'd come down, about 6 hours later, and when they couldn't find the children, called the police to report them missing, perhaps kidnapped.



Louis, then just a homeless guy, is not on the Astrid Square any more. The media reported him as a 'hero', and he's in the process of getting a job and finding a place to live with the help of the authorities.

The parents were arrested.


Who needed more 'rehab' in that instance? The homeless individual, or the people with a roof over their head.


(Simplistic story, i know, but we just need to be careful of generalisations.)
I made no generalisations at all and merely stated that those with problems needing rehabing should be able to get it, how is that a bad thing?
 

lynchiered

New member
Joined
Jun 28, 2004
Messages
3
Website
www.me.ie
Good Line Up

mmm Sounds like a good line up Fr Peter McVerry is a very good speaker looking forward to the meeting. Well Done
 

Pidge

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
427
I've seen the signs around town for this. Fair play to SF for organising this, there aren't many votes in combatting homelessness, but they're still doing it.

I'd be interested in what exactly their policy is.
 

bonovox

Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2005
Messages
10
Maybe they can discuss and suggest to whoever has the Northern Bank money that it should be used to build more hostels and not election posters for next summer.
 

Utopian Hermit Monk

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 8, 2007
Messages
3,928
This thread is 8 years old ... and the talking heads are still waffling about the homelessness crisis on tonight's Prime Time!

Alan Kelly basically acknowledged that the present catastrophic situation has been years in the making and, as always seems to be the case, the Government is now 'looking at' possible solutions.

Of course his predecessor and Party colleague, Jan O'Sullivan, had almost three years to do something, and failed miserably.
And, also of course, she has been rewarded with a promotion to a full Ministry! :mad:
 
Top