Englishman wins anti English racism case

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0812/employment.html

Racially abused worker awarded €20K
Tuesday, 12 August 2008 13:36
An English pipe fitter who was racially abused in his Irish workplace has been awarded €20,000 in compensation.

The man, who worked for an engineering company on a Dublin building site, claimed colleagues called him names and frequently ganged-up on him to sing Irish rebel songs.

Some workers never spoke to him and whenever staff had to enter tanks or dangerous spaces they would say 'send the Brit in' to make the way safe.

AdvertisementNegative reports about England in newspapers and the performance of the country's football team in the 2006 World Cup were also read out in his presence.

Two months after starting work the man was made redundant and said he was sacked instead of a less experienced Irish worker because he was British.

When the issue of redundancy arose he said one other worker stated aloud: 'The Brit should be sacked and an Irish man should not be let go.'

Another said to the supervisor: 'No Irish man is going out of the gate while we employ a Brit.'

He described his supervisor as intimidating and claimed he joined in with the abuse, even sniggering and laughing.

popper

Slagging someone over a football team now constitutes racism! There must be thousands of Dubs in for big compo :lol:

Mujaahid

Website
gmx.com
There is an endemic racism in Ireland and its time this bigotry and prejudice was stamped out. Had it been in the States the man could have taken the firm to the cleaners, still it sets a precedence for all of those on the receiving end of such ignorance.

NeilW

Sounds nasty. I wonder if the perpetrators feel the least bit guilty about it? Hopefully it will result in the company (and others) clamping down on behaviour like that.

meriwether

Negative reports about England in newspapers and the performance of the country's football team in the 2006 World Cup were also read out in his presence
Dear oh dear.

Munion

I think this is great news.

Unionists take note. Irish law will defend you should you become the victim of harrassment by our own homegrown idiots.

Another step towards a United Ireland. Happy days.

meriwether

'A night with Derek Warfield' for the Christmas party in the Helix was probably the last straw.

joel

Typical! - centuries of racism the other way and he gets a payout. :roll:

popper

It's complete nonsense. He must be pretty fkn sensitive to think that slagging a football team constitutes racism. And the part about people discussing his being sacked for being a "Brit" in his presence sounds implausible. An opinion shared by those who otherwise fell for his claim.

Defeated Romanticist

Kalif said:
Two months after starting work the man was made redundant and said he was sacked instead of a less experienced Irish worker because he was British.
That was clearly why he won, not because the fellows booed when God save the queen was on before the match.

zenarchist

What next, culchie discrimination claims? This is taking political correctness to the extreem. The average English standup comedian is generally more racist than this in their anti-Irishness. Had the plaintiff been discriminated against for racial, linguistic or sexual reasons there would have been a case. This fool just couldn't handle a bit of slagging.

popper

Reactionary said:
Kalif said:
That was clearly why he won, not because the fellows booed when God save the queen was on before the match.

No, they didn't accept that he had been unfarily dismissed.

joel

múscailte said:
What next, culchie discrimination claims? This is taking political correctness to the extreem. The average English standup comedian is generally more racist than this in their anti-Irishness. Had the plaintiff been discriminated against for racial, linguistic or sexual reasons there would have been a case. This fool just couldn't handle a bit of slagging.

Did they say he was stupid? - on TV every night?

Defeated Romanticist

popper said:
Reactionary said:
Kalif said:

The didn't say he wasn't either. Maybe it's just sloppy reporting but it's a logical conclusion. He could have gotten it for being forced to do other, more dangerous work because he was English either.

zenarchist

joel said:
múscailte said:

The relocation of Fair city to a stage cockney setting for a couple of episodes might have been the last straw.

corelli

It is hard to judge this issue based on what could be loose reporting. Don't forget the person who was mistreated would have been legally represented as would the company. It is all fought out, much like a court, before an impartial tribunal. There was probably a lot more to it than reported. You dont get 20,000 before the Equality Tribunal for slagging.

joel

joel said:
múscailte said:

I make it that the Irish are owed millions EACH! :eek:

popper

Reactionary said:
popper said:
Reactionary said:
Kalif said:

The didn't say he wasn't either. Maybe it's just sloppy reporting but it's a logical conclusion. He could have gotten it for being forced to do other, more dangerous work because he was English either.

No. They explicitly said that he was NOT let go because of his nationality. Apparently the company adhered strictly by 'last in, first out' principle. Seems to me that had his situation been as bad as it was he would not have waited until he was let go before contacting the Care Bears. Having had the misfortune to have worked in similar places, I can only imagine that he was a peculiarly sensitive chap. I worked outside Dublin when Dubs lost big games and the slagging was only unmerciful and not confined to work. If only the Equality Authority had been around at the time :cry:

Slagging Dubs when they lose is one thing, singling out and ostracising is quite another. He lost his case on the reasoning for redundancy, but won it on the harassment. I assume the Tribunal looked in detail into the case, which would make their judgment much sounder than some posters here. I have myself witnessed friends of mine from England, inoffensive and quiet fellows, being unprovokedly targeted for abuse and violence from several people on various occasions, merely at the first hearing of their accent. Some went out of their way to be offensive to them, even butting in on their conversation. I was embarrassed beyond words, because they were here to see me.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies