Enniskillen Bombing , 24 years today

Schomberg

Probably the one atrocity of the troubles that really sticks out in my mind after these years for it's barbarity and complete needlessness. The interviews with Gordon Wilson afterwards were both moving and disturbing viewing listening to him recount the final moments of his daughters life. When republicans look back on that bombing today, through everything that's transpired, whats the feeling?

The day could have been much worse though had the bomb in Tullyhommon exploded, killing children in the BB and GB.

Lest We Forget.

Last edited:

Just Jack

RIP.

A shameful day.

eoghanacht

Shameful.

former wesleyan

Imagine if Gordon Wilson had said " I want revenge and I don't care who goes for it ". Too terrible to contemplate.

Tomas Mor

a most awful day, and IRA tried to blame Brits for triggering device until it was proven it was a timer they had inserted. Martin McGuinness was dispatched to enquire into it, and is supposed to have disbanded the "Unit" that did it. Will he release his "findings" and what does he know about it. I suppose he would now say that "it was murder, if the relatives think it was ".

Remember Frank McGuinness's famous piece written a few days after "We are all children of Enniskillen now"

C

Castle Ray

There are a number of things that I recall of that terrible day. The amateur film footage showed the immediate devastation and appalling consequences to human life from the terrorism that plagued our country. Video cameras weren't that common in those days so this was one of the first times footage was shown instead of the usual BBC reporter standing behind a police cordon reporting on what had happened hours before. I also remember the young lad Stephen Ross who's face was blown to pieces and his head and face were in an iron cage for ages afterwards as he luckily recovered. Ronnie Hill also never came out of a coma from this bomb and his family spent 13 years caring for him in a nursing home which they set up to care for him in Holywood. Gordon Wilson always sticks out in my mind with his story about the final minutes spent with his daughter Marie, and I have never been able to comprehend his attitude and ability to forgive. There was some retaliatory terrorism for this massacre but I think that Wilson's words probably saved the country from massive bloodshed.

A truly horrendous day for Enniskillen and Northern Ireland which needlessly brought much heartache to many families.

ItsEvolution

There are a number of things that I recall of that terrible day. The amateur film footage showed the immediate devastation and appalling consequences to human life from the terrorism that plagued our country. Video cameras weren't that common in those days so this was one of the first times footage was shown instead of the usual BBC reporter standing behind a police cordon reporting on what had happened hours before. I also remember the young lad Stephen Ross who's face was blown to pieces and his head and face were in an iron cage for ages afterwards as he luckily recovered. Ronnie Hill also never came out of a coma from this bomb and his family spent 13 years caring for him in a nursing home which they set up to care for him in Holywood. Gordon Wilson always sticks out in my mind with his story about the final minutes spent with his daughter Marie, and I have never been able to comprehend his attitude and ability to forgive. There was some retaliatory terrorism for this massacre but I think that Wilson's words probably saved the country from massive bloodshed.

A truly horrendous day for Enniskillen and Northern Ireland which needlessly brought much heartache to many families.
Their called real christians a very rare breed.

C

Castle Ray

Their called real christians a very rare breed.
It definitely showed a staggering level of faith. However, it was known that Marie's death cause tremendous heartache for Wilson and he was tormented when away from the cameras. He did continue to live by his faith and in the end met with the PIRA.

Tariq Jahan was another that was in the mould of Wilson albeit from a different religion and during different circumstances, and was a lone voice of reason and sanity. Without people like Wilson or Jahan violence has the potential to get out of control and take over. People like that are indeed a rare breed.

vinoboy

If SF want to show genuine remorse could they not get the names of those involved and hand them over to HET ?

ItsEvolution

It definitely showed a staggering level of faith. However, it was known that Marie's death cause tremendous heartache for Wilson and he was tormented when away from the cameras. He did continue to live by his faith and in the end met with the PIRA.

Tariq Jahan was another that was in the mould of Wilson albeit from a different religion and during different circumstances, and was a lone voice of reason and sanity. Without people like Wilson or Jahan violence has the potential to get out of control and take over. People like that are indeed a rare breed.
Exactly that's why i find it so hypocritical at majority of people who call themselves christians when they reject this fundamental teaching therefore can we say there are actually very very few real christians.

C

Castle Ray

Exactly that's why i find it so hypocritical at majority of people who call themselves christians when they reject this fundamental teaching therefore can we say there are actually very very few real christians.
Christians are humans with a faith. Because they struggle to live out that faith in the face of circumstances such as this, doesn't mean they aren't Christians in my opinion and that seems to be what Christianity says too.

J

Johnny Boy

If SF want to show genuine remorse could they not get the names of those involved and hand them over to HET ?
Realistically that is never going to happen, no more than I would expect to see members of the security forces involved in the various collusion scandals to be charged and prosecuted for their crimes either. We've seen a few off-payroll expendables like Brian Nelson thrown to the wolves, but the real criminals are drawing fat pensions from the public purse.
I wish it were otherwise.

InsideImDancing

Rip.

centauro

Please God, may we never go back to those days. Pointless, pityless murder.

Republic32

A Heineous and dispicable action carried out by absolute scumbags.
RIP

( However the hypocracy of Unionists on this thread crying about such a horrendous murdereous act, while in the same breath supporting organisations like the UDR who took part in similar massacres like the Miami Showband massacre and O Dowd/Reavey killings is nauseating . )