Enniskillen Bombing , 24 years today

Catalpast

Sitting right where I am now when the News came in on RTE Radio

Just got a totally sick feeling that No 1 so many innocent people were dead and injured

- & 2nd at the Carnival of Reaction from the usual sources that would surely follow...

- as it did.

Niall996

Have either SF or the Provos issued any apology for these murders?
Of course. Years ago. And the perpetrators were reprimanded for incompetence. Their timing had been completely wrong. One of the numerous horrors unleashed by the UVF in 1912. Another tragic chapter in the legacy of Protestant terrorism in Ireland.

Mickeymac

Mick if Castle Ray has been banned I will probably choke on my spaghetti with laughter!

On the contrary sir, he can be scrutinised more so now unlike the old system where he could stay hidden on the NI forum which many contributors did not visit under the old regime.

Oliver Cromwell McIvor

People say Sinn Fein have moved on.
Oh they've moved on alright. Now they're a party of immigrants, abortionists and trannies.

"Our revenge will be Unisex Jacks for our children"

gerhard dengler

Probably the one atrocity of the troubles that really sticks out in my mind after these years for it's barbarity and complete needlessness. The interviews with Gordon Wilson afterwards were both moving and disturbing viewing listening to him recount the final moments of his daughters life. When republicans look back on that bombing today, through everything that's transpired, whats the feeling?

The day could have been much worse though had the bomb in Tullyhommon exploded, killing children in the BB and GB.

Lest We Forget.

Dreadful day. A day of shame in fact.

Gordon Wilson's humanity and decency in the face of terrible loss, is deeply admirable. He literally did turn the other cheek.
R.I.P to a great man.

former wesleyan

Of course. Years ago. And the perpetrators were reprimanded for incompetence. Their timing had been completely wrong. One of the numerous horrors unleashed by the UVF in 1912. Another tragic chapter in the legacy of Protestant terrorism in Ireland.
What was incompetent about it ?

all the best

Who did the UVF kill in 1912?

Talk Back

Who did the UVF kill in 1912?
The poster didn't say the UVF killed anyone in 1912.

But because the terrorist UVF brought the gun back into Irish politics in 1912, the terrorist UVF, like their terrorist Unionist forefathers, are responsible for the murder of countless Irish people in our country.

The majority in Ulster (never mind the whole country) would have accepted Home Rule in 1912 - it was just you foreigners, as usual, who cause all the trouble in Ireland.

Spirit Of Newgrange

People say Sinn Fein have moved on, well I have never given them a preference and I never will either.
"Lest We Forget".
the shame of Enniskillen will live on forever.

Niall996

What was incompetent about it ?

They were apparently targeting security forces who were marching and got the time schedule all wrong due to shoddy intel. Plus they had some problem with another bomb. In the end only one security force member was killed and the rest were civilians it seems. So a catastrophic blunder. The IRA took immediate action and reportedly shut down that unit.

former wesleyan

They were apparently targeting security forces who were marching and got the time schedule all wrong due to shoddy intel. Plus they had some problem with another bomb. In the end only one security force member was killed and the rest were civilians it seems. So a catastrophic blunder. The IRA took immediate action and reportedly shut down that unit.
Marching unarmed to a cenotaph . So how would that have been deemed competent ?

Niall996

Marching unarmed to a cenotaph . So how would that have been deemed competent ?
I wasn't commenting on anyones skills at marching of orienteering. The competency issue was with the bombers.

all the best

The poster didn't say the UVF killed anyone in 1912.

But because the terrorist UVF brought the gun back into Irish politics in 1912, the terrorist UVF, like their terrorist Unionist forefathers, are responsible for the murder of countless Irish people in our country.

The majority in Ulster (never mind the whole country) would have accepted Home Rule in 1912 - it was just you foreigners, as usual, who cause all the trouble in Ireland.
The UVF killed nobody in 1912,1913 or 1914,when they marched off to war in 1914 they marched to war singing songs about how proud they were to be Irishmen safe in the knowledge that they were leaving their loved ones in the safe keeping of their fellow countrymen, only to be stabbed in the back by the clowns of Easter rising fame who launched a century of republican terrorism in Ireland killing and maiming tens of thousands of their fellow countrymen.

Niall996

The UVF killed nobody in 1912,1913 or 1914,when they marched off to war in 1914 they marched to war singing songs about how proud they were to be Irishmen safe in the knowledge that they were leaving their loved ones in the safe keeping of their fellow countrymen, only to be stabbed in the back by the clowns of Easter rising fame who launched a century of republican terrorism in Ireland killing and maiming tens of thousands of their fellow countrymen.

Only a fraction marched off to be cannon fodder in a pointless war in Europe. Over 90% remained nice and snug at home armed up to the teeth and threatening the peaceful civilian population of Ireland with mass murder. And everything that has happened since is a result of the violent denial of natural democracy. Every PUL death in NI was self inflicted by their own barbaric violent medieval mindset. Cause and effect. What you sow...

between the bridges

Having lived in Enniskillen all my life and attended the act of remembrance most years, I can say that this is pure and utter apologist drivel. Where the bomb was placed there was no possibility of killing just security forces. The parade starts at the British Legion and marches to the cenotaph, which is in the middle of the road. The security forces stop on the opposite side of the cenotaph to where the bomb was placed, at least 50 yards from the bomb. That 50 yards is and was filled with civilian spectators on the footpath, a silver band and legion members on the road then the cenotaph and as previously stated the security forces, usually UDR at the time, and now cadets on the other side. At no time then or now did the security forces march past on the side the bomb was placed...

Oh and the security force member killed was an off duty police officer standing with the spectators...

Niall996

Having lived in Enniskillen all my life and attended the act of remembrance most years, I can say that this is pure and utter apologist drivel. Where the bomb was placed there was no possibility of killing just security forces. The parade starts at the British Legion and marches to the cenotaph, which is in the middle of the road. The security forces stop on the opposite side of the cenotaph to where the bomb was placed, at least 50 yards from the bomb. That 50 yards is and was filled with civilian spectators on the footpath, a silver band and legion members on the road then the cenotaph and as previously stated the security forces, usually UDR at the time, and now cadets on the other side. At no time then or now did the security forces march past on the side the bomb was placed...

Oh and the security force member killed was an off duty police officer standing with the spectators...
Exactly, they got the whole operation wrong. I agree with you for once. That was the point I made already and the outcome was tragic. War is littered with horrendous examples of missions that went wrong. Ask the British army, or any army. The IRA dealt with it immediately. Unlike the British when their members went rogue, committed outright murder or made appalling errors.

between the bridges

Exactly, they got the whole operation wrong. I agree with you for once. That was the point I made already and the outcome was tragic. War is littered with horrendous examples of missions that went wrong. Ask the British army, or any army. The IRA dealt with it immediately. Unlike the British when their members went rogue, committed outright murder or made appalling errors.
Jog on nail ye waffled about wrong timing etc, simple fact is they didn't care who they murdered...

Niall996

Jog on nail ye waffled about wrong timing etc, simple fact is they didn't care who they murdered...
Nah. It is historically recorded as a maverick bungled operation. Facts are facts. Very tragic as is all war.