• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Enterprise Ireland quango creates a nett of 6 jobs for €336m ...

Bobcolebrooke

Suppose they had not attracted any new jobs and we got to keep the €360 odd million would you be happy?

ibis

Enterprise Ireland is an ueber quango with a suitably gargantuan budget, in today's Irish Times they declare themselves elated by creating 6 jobs for €336 million
Enterprise Ireland chief elated by creation of six net jobs in 2011 - The Irish Times - Fri, Feb 01, 2013

Are you as happy as them ? Methinks time for snip snip of EI

cYp
OK - what would the job losses have been in the EI-supported companies were it not for EI support? Absent that statistic, the "6 net jobs" statistic is extremely misleading.

It's a bit like complaining that Garda spending is a complete waste because there's still crime. I mean, when did the Gardai ever achieve negative crime figures, dammit?

GDPR

They created over 9,000 jobs in a very bad year.

Between themselves and the IDA they do a fantastic job for the country and over the last few years, in business speak, we'd be hanging by our bolloxs without them.

Harmonica

Mr Ryan said he was elated because the collapse in the construction sector had devastated firms and accounted for more than half the job losses in Enterprise Ireland-supported firms between 2008 and 2010.
I thought EI were only concerned with Irish business in the export market? How would they be affected by the construction collpase? Am I missing something? :confused:

chapm

I thought EI were only concerned with Irish business in the export market? How would they be affected by the construction collpase? Am I missing something? :confused:
I presume companies like CRH and Kingspan are affected by the European slow down of construction. I don't know if they get EI support.

General Urko

How much are the big knobs at EI earning? It seems even worse than the county enterprise boards where almost all the money given to them was paid in salaries, bonuses and expenses!
If you started a business with 6 employees, you would be crucified by red tape, rent, rates etc, in particular if you were an Irish person! Oh and no SW rights if your business goes belly up and in many respects the environment would be made to virtually guarantee your failure! You couldn't make it up!

R3volution_R3ady

Enterprise Ireland is an ueber quango with a suitably gargantuan budget, in today's Irish Times they declare themselves elated by creating 6 jobs for €336 million

kkkkkkkkkk

we are a very ignorant people
and we deserve everything we get

this quango created 9000 jobs and

still we have turkeys open a thread and complain

total clowns in this country

ManOfReason

we are a very ignorant people
and we deserve everything we get

this quango created 9000 jobs and

still we have turkeys open a thread and complain

total clowns in this country
Get off your high horse. Euro 336,000,000 for the supposed 9,000 jobs is Euro 37,333 per job. That, along with our ultra low corporate tax rate, makes me wonder exactly how hard their jobs are (and how they got them).

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Get off your high horse. Euro 336,000,000 for the supposed 9,000 jobs is Euro 37,333 per job. That, along with our ultra low corporate tax rate, makes me wonder exactly how hard their jobs are (and how they got them).
Indeed

cYp

TheWexfordInn

I wonder if the average salary of the 9000 jobs was over 37,333? If not then the more jobs they create the more money they lose the country.

Trainwreck

OK - what would the job losses have been in the EI-supported companies were it not for EI support? Absent that statistic, the "6 net jobs" statistic is extremely misleading.

It's a bit like complaining that Garda spending is a complete waste because there's still crime. I mean, when did the Gardai ever achieve negative crime figures, dammit?
They created over 9,000 jobs in a very bad year.

Between themselves and the IDA they do a fantastic job for the country and over the last few years, in business speak, we'd be hanging by our bolloxs without them.
Twaddle.

How many other jobs were not created or even lost because of the €360 millino that was appropriated from households and businesses to give to these select lottery winning enterprises?

The IDA and EA are a waste. Worse they produce long term damage to ur economic structure which is badly unbalanced still.

bob3367

Well it relates to 2011, long long time ago.

Meanwhile in 2013, 4 companies , that I assisted ,who are EI assisted, are still in business and planning expansion, one is going into the European Market for the first time, and will be employing more.

Another has already taken on new staff, the other 2 are start ups and are chugging along nicely.

EI does more that just giving out grants btw, but that wont stop the thicks around here

The Old Woman

Nonsense

Thats the problem with the narrow thinking civil service permanent government view.

What EI is bringing to the table must be view in the context of the cost of running the EI, the cost that is "given away" initially and ongoing to attract so called FDI here - both in short and longer term effects in domestic exchequer verses not having this highly subsidised sector.

For far too long your type of uncontested view has held sway.

Provide the figures - the cost of running the EI and allied sectors- list the total cost of incentatives current and future and detail what we actually get. factor in the short and longer terms effects on the domestic economy and so forth, distance selling, brand ownership, vat grouping directive, competition, etc

It is like the appalling position taken on tendering. FDI policies is a party political tool nothing more. Tendering policy highlights a complete lack or care of understanding of the real economy and irish jobs.

i would be more impressed if the respective minister (s) would explained how - Uk companies are not required to produce an irish Euro trade price list that equals to the sterling Uk trade price list -specially in the situation where that UK supplier has brand rights for the UK and ireland. Let these officials explain how we are competitve given that many of these Uk companies are selling to Uk HO multis at substantial discounts in sterling - exempt of vat -that these companies can then re-invoice to their irish operations again exempt of vat and can charge whatever exchange rate or cost they like in the re-invoice. Little wonder the irish EU citizen is not getting proper competition. Importantantly this policy is diving more and more citizens to UK internet sites - another reason why distance selling inwards is giving rise to substantial losses to the irish exchequer.

Our officials are so busy congradulating themselves on FDI that the full picture is not being allowed for.

It is wayl beyond time this whole area was more transparent.

Grumpy Jack

Nonsense

Thats the problem with the narrow thinking civil service permanent government view.

What EI is bringing to the table must be view in the context of the cost of running the EI, the cost that is "given away" initially and ongoing to attract so called FDI here - both in short and longer term effects in domestic exchequer verses not having this highly subsidised sector.

For far too long your type of uncontested view has held sway.

Provide the figures - the cost of running the EI and allied sectors- list the total cost of incentatives current and future and detail what we actually get. factor in the short and longer terms effects on the domestic economy and so forth, distance selling, brand ownership, vat grouping directive, competition, etc

It is like the appalling position taken on tendering. FDI policies is a party political tool nothing more. Tendering policy highlights a complete lack or care of understanding of the real economy and irish jobs.

i would be more impressed if the respective minister (s) would explained how - Uk companies are not required to produce an irish Euro trade price list that equals to the sterling Uk trade price list -specially in the situation where that UK supplier has brand rights for the UK and ireland. Let these officials explain how we are competitve given that many of these Uk companies are selling to Uk HO multis at substantial discounts in sterling - exempt of vat -that these companies can then re-invoice to their irish operations again exempt of vat and can charge whatever exchange rate or cost they like in the re-invoice. Little wonder the irish EU citizen is not getting proper competition. Importantantly this policy is diving more and more citizens to UK internet sites - another reason why distance selling inwards is giving rise to substantial losses to the irish exchequer.

Our officials are so busy congradulating themselves on FDI that the full picture is not being allowed for.

It is wayl beyond time this whole area was more transparent.
EI has nothing to do with FDI - it is there to support indigenous Irish companies.

Home - Enterprise Ireland

southwestkerry

enterprise ireland do not create jobs, business and business people do.
kissing people on the cheek, wining and dining, luncheons along with a few pats on the back... or perhaps the odd 200 page dosser is about all EI do.
SwK

bob3367

enterprise ireland do not create jobs, business and business people do.
kissing people on the cheek, wining and dining, luncheons along with a few pats on the back... or perhaps the odd 200 page dosser is about all EI do.
SwK
You clearly know very little about EI.....

plantfirmly

I suspect that will mysteriously fail to make a difference to the criticism....
Enterprise Ireland give money to some fairly shocking business models. They get plenty of applications from "entrepreneurs" unwilling to risk their own money for new age media projects that no sane person would invest their own money in. I have no doubt that a lot of the projects that succeeded with the help of Enterprise Ireland funds would have done so on their own accord regardless. It's a well-meaning project, but can be misappropriated. There are plenty of "entrepreneurs" making a living off funds from EI and local county councils. They're as bad as the PS drain. These guys pay themselves a bloody wage with EI funds as they do "feasibility studies". Any ambitious entrepreneur who has faith in their project and has a hard work ethic would put every last penny into their project - They do not expect to be getting a wage for their hours before the business model itself is profitable. That is not the mindset of an entrepreneur. It's a disgrace and EI allows it.

That said, obviously it works with good business as well. My point is a lot of silly concepts slip through the cracks, especially in the area of new media.

If you have a good idea, good skills, good connections, you will get private investment. EI just help good business along the way and full-on support unviable business needlessly.