• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Entry /exit to the uk from ireland

monsieur

The UK has an obsession with the CTA and has a notion that Ireland wants to maintain it due, maybe, to the land border on thos island. I entered the UK twice recently and must say that my second was far more pleasant than my first.
I arrived in Stansted on Monday and noted that the old system of presenting one's alighting (original boarding!) document had to be presented to the civilian checkers to get into the baggage hall thus bypassing the long rows of immigration booths with absolutely no customers at that particular time......08h30. Then around the corner were two police officers seeking passports...giving the impression that they were just doing a spot check on a batch of arrival passengers traveling within the so-called CTA. I explained that i was not prepared to comply until I had queried their activities and was asked to sit on the (only) one very comfortable chair provided until they had time to talk to me..... I was quoted the internal Schengen law that permitted them to engage in these non permanent checks that I understood, cannot be used by non Schengen countries but I will check this out with the European Commission. Their check was also because of the occasional abuse of the CTA arrangement where clandestines exchange boarding cards in the passage on the way up from flights that arrive from different countries outside UK/Ireland. It was a pleasant discussion but I am bemused to note that the UK uses the EU when it suits them........ (not so Dublin Garda but more on that some other time..)

On leaving Stansted there were no police or immigration checks but I did notice that the police have desks, after hand baggage security check, available to operate Section 7 on ALL departing passengers where necessary.They were not in use yesterday. The use of Section 7 (2000 Act) implies that each person going through this check/control is considered to have been a potential terrorist so it has to be treated very seriously.

The previous entry/exit at Holyhead 'report' will have to wait.......

ruserious

Didn't have the same problems here.

TheWexfordInn

Unusual experience, Ive never had it in my many, many, many times Ive arrived in the UK from Ireland. On one occasion arriving at Gatwick when unusually there was for some technical reason a queue at the CTA check while all the Passport checking booths had no queues I attempted to go through the passport checks but was told by a jobsworth that people travelling from Ireland were not allowed to go through Passport checks, so I instead had to turn around and queue up for the the far less thorough boarding card checks at the CTA booth.

NYCKY

That is unusual, last year when flying from Kerry to Luton, I got off at Luton, got my bags and left and nobody checked anything. When I arrived back at Kerry, I had to show my passport.

julieandrews

I've never had anything like that either in hundreds of flights between the UK and Ireland. Don't see how Stansted could justify it as in both Heathrow and Luton you walk right out of the airport with not even a boarding card check when coming off an Irish flight

A view from England

Usually travel Liverpool to Shannon or Holyhead to Dublin. Never had an issue. Then again I have learned never to smart mouth at customs or immigration officials. :)

belfast1981

Isn't there an agreement between UK/Ireland were people can move between the pair without CTA checks and passport checks etc in the same way people can move between NI and ROI without check?

julieandrews

Though now that I've thought about it, Heathrows Irish section is totally isolated and then eventually leads out to the domestic flight section so no change of mingling with somebody in a corridor who is from a non CTA/domestic flight. Long time since I've been in Luton so don't remember if there are any mingling opportunities

Tea Party Patriot

toconn

That is unusual, last year when flying from Kerry to Luton, I got off at Luton, got my bags and left and nobody checked anything. When I arrived back at Kerry, I had to show my passport.
I do that flight every week ! You never show a passport when travelling from Ireland to the UK but coming back you nearly always show a passport at Kerry . I presume it's because it's possible for non Europe zone passengers to arrive in he UK and then hop on to Ireland which may have different visa requirements and of course is not part of he UK hence it's as easy to check all passports.
I also travel a lot to Italy and Germany and always show a passport when arriving in the UK , so it's logical and no different.

drummed

Just in order to to bring some context to this thread i offer the following:

http://www.politics.ie/forum/zoo/204478-do-not-discuss-schengen-freedom-movement-you-will-moved-lula-land-banned.htm
lhttp://www.politics.ie/forum/zoo/193937-crazy-queues-seek-permission-enter-ireland-dublin-airport-4-august-2012-a.html
http://www.politics.ie/forum/current-affairs/156216-president-mcaleese-heads-spain-will-she-have-submit-api.html
http://www.politics.ie/forum/transport/121882-ryanair-its-obsession-specific-identity-documents-italy.html
http://www.politics.ie/forum/eu/95984-lisbon-opt-out-schengen-api-let-s-discuss-explain.html

Here is a short history of this most accident prone travellers freedom of movement issues. Entirely unexplained as it happens is example one above.

Next he gets delayed at the airport. There were too many other people present for his liking.

In the third travel nightmare he is worried about Spanish airtraffic regulations. I know its a concern we all have.

Next up he has issues with Ryanair and documents. Did'nt read it. Don't know.

Following that harrowing experience he has some sort sort of falling out with a public information notice screen in a Spanish airport. To be honest it was too boring to read.

Anyway, my conclusion: STAY THE FECK AT HOME IN FUTURE. YOUR A BAD TRAVELLER.

And on to the next distressed poster. (I should be getting paid for this)

Chrisco

The UK has an obsession with the CTA and has a notion that Ireland wants to maintain it due, maybe, to the land border on thos island. I entered the UK twice recently and must say that my second was far more pleasant than my first.
I arrived in Stansted on Monday and noted that the old system of presenting one's alighting (original boarding!) document had to be presented to the civilian checkers to get into the baggage hall thus bypassing the long rows of immigration booths with absolutely no customers at that particular time......08h30. Then around the corner were two police officers seeking passports...giving the impression that they were just doing a spot check on a batch of arrival passengers traveling within the so-called CTA. I explained that i was not prepared to comply until I had queried their activities and was asked to sit on the (only) one very comfortable chair provided until they had time to talk to me..... I was quoted the internal Schengen law that permitted them to engage in these non permanent checks that I understood, cannot be used by non Schengen countries but I will check this out with the European Commission. Their check was also because of the occasional abuse of the CTA arrangement where clandestines exchange boarding cards in the passage on the way up from flights that arrive from different countries outside UK/Ireland. It was a pleasant discussion but I am bemused to note that the UK uses the EU when it suits them........ (not so Dublin Garda but more on that some other time..)

On leaving Stansted there were no police or immigration checks but I did notice that the police have desks, after hand baggage security check, available to operate Section 7 on ALL departing passengers where necessary.They were not in use yesterday. The use of Section 7 (2000 Act) implies that each person going through this check/control is considered to have been a potential terrorist so it has to be treated very seriously.

The previous entry/exit at Holyhead 'report' will have to wait.......
The CTA is only open to UK and Irish citizens, which is why you have to go through passport control upon arriving in Ireland from the UK. The British generally don't bother, but are within their rights to do so, as are we.

monsieur

Freedom of movement is not an obsession if one is or even believes (in being) European...

Can the OP please explain his obsession with CTA, Schengen etc?
This 'obsession' as you call it is not easy to explain to Irish people living here who seem to believe that everywhere in mainland Europe is 'foreign' but not so the UK (includes N.I.) .
We signed up to the E. U. in 1973 and one of the major tenets of this Union was to lead to freedom of movement between all countries in the Union with a strong secure border only applying when leaving the Union. Schengenwas first launched from 1985...... From 1973 - 85 one could enter most of the E.U.with an out of date passport as I did so many times. From about 1990 Ireland started deporting E.U. citizens for the 'crime' of out of date documents and so France, Belgium etc decided enough was enough....

May I emphasise that this issue has nothing to do with airline security or even airport building security. No one in their right mind could object to our safety on airlines. I am only interested in police/immigration authorities and their behaviour.

It is absolutely normal for people to travel all over Europe (24 E.U. and 3 foreign countries) by air and overland and not to have to worry about valid passports or national (state) identity documents. One MUST carry one of these documents for spot identity checks. I have queried controls by Schengen guards in France and have found that they do follow Schengen rules....

At this stage in my life it is frankly embarrassing to arrive in Schengen from Ireland and have to 'check-in' to the real core E.U. and to effectively seek permission to enter and only with a VALID passport (because if I don't comply I will be deported). At the end of my stay I then have to do the same thing in reverse. And then one arrives in Ireland...to face more nonsense.

Schengen involves everyone........while Ireland/UK only concerns UK and irish passport holders. This is discriminatory against all other E.U. countries' citizens. Crazy? Schengen is the real Europe at work whereas Ireland and the UK work independently of each other......

monsieur

I feel you miss the whole point of this exercise. What is this nonsense about an 'accident prone traveller' ? You obviously do NOT believe in freedom of movement and are prepared to comply with every rule and regulation and to allow every Tom, Dick and Harry to ask you to show passport etc etc etc.

It is perfectly acceptable to have to do that when travelling to FOREIGN countries such as Outer Mongolia, the U.S.. China, Burma etc but NOT to countries within our European Union.

It is equally sad to see people complying with a request by the Garda who 'pounce' on buses arriving from the U.K. (Northern Ireland) demanding that they produce this strange document called I.D. .........................

Regarding Spain ...thousands of Irish tourists do not object to having their personal details sent to Spanish Justice authorities before leaving Dublin airport. I do and the European Commission is not happy with it either (as per correspondence with me) but since Ireland has not complained.... Ireland has been refused permission to apply the same extreme measure.

Just in order to to bring some context to this thread i offer the following:

http://www.politics.ie/forum/zoo/204478-do-not-discuss-schengen-freedom-movement-you-will-moved-lula-land-banned.htm
lhttp://www.politics.ie/forum/zoo/193937-crazy-queues-seek-permission-enter-ireland-dublin-airport-4-august-2012-a.html
http://www.politics.ie/forum/current-affairs/156216-president-mcaleese-heads-spain-will-she-have-submit-api.html
http://www.politics.ie/forum/transport/121882-ryanair-its-obsession-specific-identity-documents-italy.html
http://www.politics.ie/forum/eu/95984-lisbon-opt-out-schengen-api-let-s-discuss-explain.html

Here is a short history of this most accident prone travellers freedom of movement issues. Entirely unexplained as it happens is example one above.

Next he gets delayed at the airport. There were too many other people present for his liking.

In the third travel nightmare he is worried about Spanish airtraffic regulations. I know its a concern we all have.

Next up he has issues with Ryanair and documents. Did'nt read it. Don't know.

Following that harrowing experience he has some sort sort of falling out with a public information notice screen in a Spanish airport. To be honest it was too boring to read.

Anyway, my conclusion: STAY THE FECK AT HOME IN FUTURE. YOUR A BAD TRAVELLER.

And on to the next distressed poster. (I should be getting paid for this)

InsideImDancing