• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Environmental Protection Agency reinventing the wheel on fracking research for natural gas exploration?

patslatt

Environmental Protection Agency reinventing the wheel on fracking research for natural gas exploration?

See last four paragraphs State bans fracking until environmental tests are carried out - National News - Independent.ie

There is a wealth of scientific research on the environmental impact of fracking,a drilling technique for natural gas that has been used for decades and has come to dominate gas drilling in the past five years.New York state has banned fracking until its own research into fracking is completed.

It looks as if the Irish Environmental Protection Agency,like New York's, is reinventing the wheel in bureaucratic makework by commissioning start from scratch environmental studies of fracking on Irish sites that look promising for fracking exploration.But it would make more sense if the agency collated the existing research in the US for similar geological formations to Ireland's. That should provide sufficient guidance for EPA's monitoring of drilling operations in Ireland.

patfitzbally

See last four paragraphs State bans fracking until environmental tests are carried out - National News - Independent.ie

There is a wealth of scientific research on the environmental impact of fracking,a drilling technique for natural gas that has been used for decades and has come to dominate gas drilling in the past five years.New York state has banned fracking until its own research into fracking is completed.

It looks as if the Irish Environmental Protection Agency,like New York's, is reinventing the wheel in bureaucratic makework by commissioning start from scratch environmental studies of fracking on Irish sites that look promising for fracking exploration.But it would make more sense if the agency collated the existing research in the US for similar geological formations to Ireland's. That should provide sufficient guidance for EPA's monitoring of drilling operations in Ireland.
until some irish polititian finds a way of making a few bob out of the job,no decicisions will be made

slippy wicket

Would they ever get the fracking finger out, cheaper natural gas soonest.

bob3367

Would they ever get the fracking finger out, cheaper natural gas soonest.
Cheaper for whom?

Natural gas prices are not determined by the cost of extraction, they are determined by the market.

If it is so profitable why are most producers losing money?

wombat

My understanding of the environmental risks from fracking vary with location. What is safe in Montana may not be in Pennsylvania and neither case will be applicable in Leitrim.

owedtojoy

It seems that it is not the re-invention you are against, but the wheel.

I agree with using prior data to establish expectations, and maybe shorten the process. But it would be grossly unscientific just to assume Irish conditions duplicated US ones.

patslatt

It seems that it is not the re-invention you are against, but the wheel.

I agree with using prior data to establish expectations, and maybe shorten the process. But it would be grossly unscientific just to assume Irish conditions duplicated US ones.
Fracking is not hazardous as demonstrated by the fact that not a single lawsuit for damages has succeeded in litigious US. However,cowboy drillers can cause spills and drilling equipment needs to be modified to contain escape of a small amount of gas into the air at the wellhead.

bob3367

Fracking is not hazardous as demonstrated by the fact that not a single lawsuit for damages has succeeded in litigious US. However,cowboy drillers can cause spills and drilling equipment needs to be modified to contain escape of a small amount of gas into the air at the wellhead.
Containing small amounts of gas at the wellhead isnt the issue, gas has to be vented in all drilling operations....

Better come up with another excuse.

james5001

My understanding of the environmental risks from fracking vary with location. What is safe in Montana may not be in Pennsylvania and neither case will be applicable in Leitrim.
I don't know much about it but it is important to understand the impact on water it could have if chemicals were used.

bob3367

I don't know much about it but it is important to understand the impact on water it could have if chemicals were used.
Well one element that I know of is caustic....

james5001

Well one element that I know of is caustic....
Were you saying before that you work on some sort of extraction rig? (May be someone else). What's your opinion on this?

Pat Gill

Website
www.energyco-ops.ie
Twitter
Pat_Gill
Is that all so patslatt.

See lads, science can be as easy as 123.

Provided you are happy enough with only knowing about 2% of the data :lol:

bob3367

Were you saying before that you work on some sort of extraction rig? (May be someone else). What's your opinion on this?
No I worked as an accountant in the oil and gas industry, but I think its a false god in relation to cheap gas.

Whilst I dont agree with the conspiracy theorists, the economics today are questionable, Poland for example have reduced its reserve figures by 90%, on the technology itself I would like for it to be properly evaluated as I have a feeling that the full effects of it arent known, and I have my doubts about its safety.

If you google fracking the company Chepespeak (spelling) should pop up, its now losing money hand over fist, as its economics are wrong, and there are q considerable questions over its safety also.

Shpake

When I read somewhere that they pump in a chemical coctail of umpteen different substances the alarm bells were ringing. What's pumped down is going to stay down.. unless it comes
up.
That said, coal and nuclear aren't too safe or environmentally friendly either.
In all likelihood there's more to be gained by proper insulation, decent public transport.
Irish people are inclined to be attached to their county. Would you want your county to be first in the experriment?

bob3367

When I read somewhere that they pump in a chemical coctail of umpteen different substances the alarm bells were ringing. What's pumped down is going to stay down.. unless it comes
up.
In all likelihood there's more to be gained by proper insulation, decent public transport.
Irish people are inclined to be attached to their county. Would you want your county to be first in the experriment?
Fracking has been happening for decades all over the world....not sure whats experimental about it.

james5001

No I worked as an accountant in the oil and gas industry, but I think its a false god in relation to cheap gas.

Whilst I dont agree with the conspiracy theorists, the economics today are questionable, Poland for example have reduced its reserve figures by 90%, on the technology itself I would like for it to be properly evaluated as I have a feeling that the full effects of it arent known, and I have my doubts about its safety.

If you google fracking the company Chepespeak (spelling) should pop up, its now losing money hand over fist, as its economics are wrong, and there are q considerable questions over its safety also.
Thanks for taking the time to write a good reply. Unfortunately many replies on this site aren't as concise or as sensible as this one.

patslatt

up.
Chemicals used are now disclosed in many US states. Many chemicals are no more toxic than those used in kitchen sinks.

patslatt

Extremely rapid production decline rates of about 80% in the first production year require frequent refrackings at high costs in the lifespan of wells. That undermines the profitability of fracking. It is akin to a person on a treadmill running fast just to stand still.

As for safety,if fracking caused property and environmental damage,why hasn't the litigious US lawyering industry won a single case against fracking in the past 20 years?

Kitty O'Shea

Why do you assume that the US approach is a suitable model to follow? As far as I am aware EU does not have guidelines or best practice standards for fracking, in which case each country should investigate and design their own rules.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies