Environmental protection payments to farmers

Scitlipo

Last year, a neighbouring farmer who has a right of way across my farm decided, in summer, to spray 600m of my hedgerows, including the vegetation in the drains, with glyphosate. He killed all the vegetation.
Leaving aside the criminal element to this, the idea that someone will blatantly disregard the conditions on the use of these products is incredible, considering that the herbicide was put into drains which fed directly into a river system.
I found on the list of EU farm payments that this same individual was paid almost €2800 as an "environmental protection payment" as part of his SFP. I contacted the Dept of Agriculture, to be told that it was too late to investigate, and that I should make a complaint if it happened again. The county council environmental section had investigated, but could only "advise" him that he should not spray near drains. Further enquiries suggest that the Dept of Agriculture rarely enforces cross compliance penalties. Food for thought on the squandering of taxpayers money.

Direct complaint to EU regarding abuse of system plus Irish Water regarding pollution of watercourses.

Will it stop him ? Probably not but when people start investigating it does tend to change behaviour.

Mushroom

TedHankey

Last year, a neighbouring farmer who has a right of way across my farm decided, in summer, to spray 600m of my hedgerows, including the vegetation in the drains, with glyphosate. He killed all the vegetation.
Leaving aside the criminal element to this, the idea that someone will blatantly disregard the conditions on the use of these products is incredible, considering that the herbicide was put into drains which fed directly into a river system.
I found on the list of EU farm payments that this same individual was paid almost €2800 as an "environmental protection payment" as part of his SFP. I contacted the Dept of Agriculture, to be told that it was too late to investigate, and that I should make a complaint if it happened again. The county council environmental section had investigated, but could only "advise" him that he should not spray near drains. Further enquiries suggest that the Dept of Agriculture rarely enforces cross compliance penalties. Food for thought on the squandering of taxpayers money.
That's the real issue here methinks. When farmers fall out it's more likely to be over an inch of soil than all the fish in the ocean.

ShoutingIsLeadership

This is a link to the thread wherein I revealed that TDs from Scum Fein, Labour and Fianna Fail as well as rural independents all applauded the Minister of Agriculture for not fining Irish farmers for fraud.

Yep

valamhic

That might be illegal. You need to check with the EPA,

valamhic

The Gloss scheme for the environmental improvement of farms gives grants for the planting of seeds and growing of crops for birds and wildlife.

Two farmers near me began the process by spraying the entire grass with roundup, what do you make of that?

Mad as Fish

The Gloss scheme for the environmental improvement of farms gives grants for the planting of seeds and growing of crops for birds and wildlife.

Two farmers near me began the process by spraying the entire grass with roundup, what do you make of that?
You'll need to talk to your MEP about that. The farmers don't set the rules.

Mad as Fish

There are strict limitations on were farmers can spray. If he was spraying into or over water courses then he was breaking the law, and as you point out, it is a criminal offence. Any farmer will know this.

Over the last few years subsidies and payments have been decoupled from production in a bid to reduce the the grain mountains and wine lakes of yore. Farmers are now paid (in theory) as custodians of the countryside rather than simple producers of food. Unfortunately there will always be rogues abusing any system and this would appear to be such a case. It's a pity there doesn't appear to be the motivation to do anything about it.

As for subsidies themselves, they are not there to make farmers rich but to ensure cheap and plentiful food, it keeps the plebs quiet and reduces their urge to take to the streets.

Spanner Island

This is Ireland... a country that is brilliant at marketing itself around the world as being far different from the reality...

This doesn't surprise me in the slightest... but then I oppose the perpetual welfare for farmers that is CAP... and CAP ain't going anywhere any time soon...

Texal Tom

Twitter
Don't tweet
I have bees at the side of my house. Local farmer has barley which he regularly sprays with pesticides! If he did this late in the evening it wouldn't effect the bees but he usually turns up when its scorching hot when the bees are in full flight. There is a beekeeper in Carlow who lost 30 hives due to spraying. Bees are so important for our food supply and some farmers don't give a ************************e.

Needs to be much tighter controls and heavy fines to shock these morans into changing their ways

Scitlipo

That might be illegal. You need to check with the EPA,
Checked with DAFM,and they won't get involved.
NPWS and Forest Service have told me that DAFM will not prosecute for cross compliance infringements....it is political suicide for them.
Scandalous.
I'm pushing the issue with the European Commission now.

McTell

Twitter
No
OP

If it's a shared roadway, he should have consulted you first.

MCPA /glyphosate kills weeds not grass, so he probably thought he was doing everyone a favour!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies