Eoghan Murphy - Motion of No-Confidence

wombat

Yeah, that's what the state is for. Only commercial property should be allowed to be rented.
Not everyone wants to live in soviet flat blocks, I don't think it will catch on.

Orbit v2

Mostly the "I'm alright Jack" types, probably about my age and they don't care a whit about anyone else.

And yes, they usually vote for FG or FF.
And Labour. Otherwise, Aodhan O'Riordan wouldn't have been objecting to a big development in Raheny/Clontarf recently.

There could well have been cases of the far left objecting also. I think when TDs get comfortable in their constituencies, they start to worry about stuff like this, regardless of where they are on the political spectrum.

wombat

I know its old fashioned to talk of personal responsibility but people have options. Not everyone can live where they want and they don't have to live in Dublin. Its a lot cheaper to live in Cork and employment prospects are just as good if you have marketable skills. Out of my 40+ years working, I think I spent 6 in Dublin even though all of my relatives were from the city. The local secondary school that I attended in Dun Laoghaire closed about 30 years ago for lack of pupils - my generation could not afford to live in the town so the supply of kids stopped as the town aged. We certainly need corporation houses for those who can't afford to buy but the idea that every 20 year old needs their own state supplied flat is nonsense.

Baron von Biffo

When people are picking and choosing on the grounds that the (effectively) free house they're being offered doesn't have enough room for their fishing gear or the garden's not big enough for bee keeping or they can't run their business from it then we have to ask how realistic are the housing figures.

We need to reinvigorate the old saying 'beggars can't be choosers'. Only the wheelchair user offered a house with stairs had a valid reason for refusal in that report.

The others should have been removed from the housing list and had their HAP payments stopped.

And the one who whinged that it was too far from the school should've been told to talk to the parents who's taxes were paying for the house she was offered and ask them how far from the school they had to live.

Orbit v2

Did I hear it right that the SDs never attended the housing committee or even asked a question of the housing minister in the last few years?

Orbit v2

Misogynist!
;)
You can't say that. I'm listening to Neasa Hourigan (female and Green party) destroy the male SD guy on the ridiculous 20 million plan for a white water rafting facility in Dublin city centre.

It seems the SD guy is a bit star struck by the fire brigade. Apparently the plan was for a 10 million facility but the fire brigade want a training facility at the same standard as the US for dealing with hurricanes which will cost twice that amount. Eh, no thanks!

Thank you Neasa! Sorry, off topic, but I found this really astonishing :)

Last edited:

constitutionus

So has FF voted confidence in its housing minister yet?

:)

ShoutingIsLeadership

I did qualify that remark by saying 'probably' unconstitutional, not being a lawyer I couldn't put it any stronger.

My thinking is that on at least two previous occasions governments tried to impose such controls and the Supreme Court struck down the attempts as an unconstitutional restriction of property rights.
By that rationale, the requirement for planning permission to develop one's land would be unconstitutional

wombat

I thought the posers might have miscalculated and got what they voted for. Pity. :)

myrak

Just now on the Tonight Show. Fr Mc Verry has outlined Berlin’s actions on their housing crisis
1) rents to be brought back to 2013 levels and
2) campaigners are planning a referendum in order to force corporate buyers who have mopped up property as in Ireland, to sell it back to state.

Now that’s action on an emergency!

wombat

I don't think there is a quick fix solution.
There is but its not acceptable. The Turks provided shelter for 1 million Syrians within a few months by building temporary camps, its what happens in a real emergency. We have a shortage of housing where people want to live, not where houses are available, calling it an emergency or crisis reduces the meaning of the word. The rough sleepers are a long term problem, many of them are a result of the policy of abolishing asylums, they are people incapable of dealing with the modern world without a lot of help.

Popular Threads

Most Replies