• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Episcopalian versus Anglican

mactheknife

I've noticed several (Irish, Dublin) Church of Ireland churches use the term "episcopalian", whereas most use "anglican" -and a few, both - to describe themselves. Is there any particular reason for this?

is it a matter of preference?

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
The use of "Episcopalism" is probably a tactic to broaden their appeal - knowing well that the term "Anglican" conjures up images of Henry VIII, the Penal Laws and British rule.

drbob1972

its effectively one and the same the "anglican" and "episcopalian" churches are all members of the anglican communion, in the US and Scotland they are called the "episcopalian church in many other they are calle the church of <<country>>

johnfás

drbob1972 said:
its effectively one and the same the "anglican" and "episcopalian" churches are all members of the anglican communion, in the US and Scotland they are called the "episcopalian church in many other they are calle the church of <<country>>
True, although just because you see "Church of" should not lead one to presume it is episcopalian/anglican.

The "Church of Scotland" for example, is the name of the Presbyterian Church in Scotland.
The United Church of Australia is a conglomerate of Congregationalists and Methodists.
The United Church of Canada is a conglomeration of Congregationalists, Presbyterians and Methodists.

The rest is true, Episcopalian and Anglican are the same thing essentially. Episcopalian churches are members of the Anglican communion.

Generally the term "Church of" grew up because it was the national church. As in the Church of Ireland was the national church of Ireland prior to disestablishment. States which never had a national church tend not to create one and instead are called episcopalian.

An interesting aside - PepsiCola is an anagram of episcopalian.

St Disibod

mactheknife said:
I've noticed several (Irish, Dublin) Church of Ireland churches use the term "episcopalian", whereas most use "anglican" -and a few, both - to describe themselves. Is there any particular reason for this?

is it a matter of preference?
I've only ever known 'Episcopalian' to be used by churches with a high level of attendance by tourists such as St Patrick's Cathedral. We don't want to confuse our Yankee brethren you know.

I think that's about all the thought that's gone into it. If someone knows more, please correct me.

johnfás

St Disibod said:
I've only ever known 'Episcopalian' to be used by churches with a high level of attendance by tourists such as St Patrick's Cathedral. We don't want to confuse our Yankee brethren you know.

I think that's about all the thought that's gone into it. If someone knows more, please correct me.
Interesting observation about the tourist central churches. I would recognise that as being the case now you mention it.

And yes I'd agree that is probably all the thought which has gone into it.

mactheknife

johnfás said:
Ha ha ;)

The Church of Ireland................brought to you by PepsiCola.

Would any Church of Ireland members prefer the term "episcopalian" to "anglican"?

St Disibod

mactheknife said:
Would any Church of Ireland members prefer the term "episcopalian" to "anglican"?
I've never come across one.

And the episcopalians are not the most popular at the moment with the transatlantic argy bargy over homosexual clergy.

Follow the gourd!

Stíofán

Website
www.redbrick.dcu.ie
johnfás said:
This is what keeps me coming back time and again to p.ie... 8)

johnfás

Mikewex said:
johnfás said:
No its not. For a start episcopalian has 12 letters PepsiCola 9?
I apologise its episcopal and it was a purposeful anagram. Apparently the guy who founded pepsi was based in an office opposite an episcopalian church in USA and formed an anagram around the word episcopal. Thats what I heard anyway! I'm sure its on wikipedia or something.

johnfás

mactheknife said:
johnfás said:
Ha ha ;)

The people I know who are informed and you might say committed members of the Church of Ireland Church wouldn't really care, though Anglican or simply Church of Ireland is probably more widespread.

To those who aren't so interested in the Church, but who might have been brought up Anglican, in my experience, have looked at me like I have 2 head when I mention the word episcopalian because they've never heard it!

Mikewex

johnfás said:
Mikewex said:
[quote="johnfás":panub2yg]An interesting aside - PepsiCola is an anagram of episcopalian.
No its not. For a start episcopalian has 12 letters PepsiCola 9?
I apologise its episcopal[/quote:panub2yg]

Ah, fair enough so.

drbob1972

mactheknife said:
johnfás said:
Ha ha ;)

never heard of any one expressing an interest

The Anglican Communion is a communion of churches that have an esicopal form of governance, in other words they are lead by bishops. There are churches in the communion that are called the Church of (Fill in Country here) and there are churches known as The Episcopal Church of (Fill in Country here). There are small differences in the the beliefs of the different churches but the core beliefs and practices are the same. The Episcopal Churches are known as Espiscopal, a member of the church is known as an Episcopalian. That is a little confusing to an outsider but it's like the country of Ireland and a citizen being known Irish, not the country and citizen being called the same thing.

GrainneDee

The Anglican Communion is a communion of churches that have an esicopal form of governance, in other words they are lead by bishops. There are churches in the communion that are called the Church of (Fill in Country here) and there are churches known as The Episcopal Church of (Fill in Country here). There are small differences in the the beliefs of the different churches but the core beliefs and practices are the same. The Episcopal Churches are known as Espiscopal, a member of the church is known as an Episcopalian. That is a little confusing to an outsider but it's like the country of Ireland and a citizen being known Irish, not the country and citizen being called the same thing.
Long gap between question and answer there...