• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Equal Marriage Rights for Polygamists

ArtyisBack

I was thinking about the definition of marriage and rights the State would be required to provide. Why are polygamists left out of this. Some muslims - just for example - or some mormons - advocate polygamy. Why is their religious rights not accommodated by the State. Surely their definition of marriage is just as valid as anyone else's and deserves equal treatment? Why are they being discriminate against?

Dame_Enda

Morally I have no objection provided it is extended to gay couples. My broader concern is the impact on immigration, taxation, property law.

potholedogger

Labour favour further reform of marriage law but they have yet to support polygamy.

The same arguments used to deny Gay Marriage rights can also be used to deny polygamous marriage!

GDPR

I was thinking about the definition of marriage and rights the State would be required to provide. Why are polygamists left out of this. Some muslims - just for example - or some mormons - advocate polygamy. Why is their religious rights not accommodated by the State. Surely their definition of marriage is just as valid as anyone else's and deserves equal treatment? Why are they being discriminate against?
I said exactly the same thing to the missus....the sound of my own voice was the last thing I heard for quite a while.

darkhorse

I dont see a problem so long as the wives agree to it
If a woman wants to marry a man who is already married, and the first wife agrees to it, then why should the State stop him or her. It would probably contribute to a lesser number of divorces and family breakups - so much less trauma for the children involved.

pippakin

I'm totally opposed to polygamy - unless its a woman taking more than one husband.....

potholedogger

There must be economic and social advantages too!

Polygamous families would have a much better economy of scale. Such families would have ready solutions to child care allowing higher labour participation rates.

Fewer housing units would be required with obvious benefits for family transport too.

Care of the elderly would have more options too with larger stronger family units to care for the vulnerable.

Red_93

I would have no objection as long as all parties to the marriage commit to one another, ie if in a marriage of one man and two women the man dies or divorces the two women, the two women are still married to one another.

Mercurial

There are no examples I know of where marriage of more than one person has been codified into laws which are compatible with the core tenets of western liberal democracies.

The lack of a symmetrical legal relationship would be highly problematic, for one thing.

stopdoingstuff

Polygamous families would have a much better economy of scale. Such families would have ready solutions to child care allowing higher labour participation rates.

Fewer housing units would be required with obvious benefits for family transport too.

Care of the elderly would have more options too with larger stronger family units to care for the vulnerable.
And you'd get to sleep with loads of people too.

kvran

If you want those benefits should you not be arguing for polyamorous marriage rather than polygamous?

I would generally think polyamorous (an equal marriage between 3 or more people) is preferable to polygamous where it is one person with multiple spouses while those spouses have no clear relationship to one another. I haven't thought it out much though.

potholedogger

There are no examples I know of where marriage of more than one person has been codified into laws which are compatible with the core tenets of western liberal democracies.

The lack of a symmetrical legal relationship would be highly problematic, for one thing.
A western state that acknowledged the natural right for a group to marry would attract many new citizens.

Dame_Enda

If polygamy is allowed it should not discriminate. Women should also be allowed multiple husbands.

Dame_Enda

Of course!

Any not allow a same sex group to marry also?
Same sex groups should be treated the same.

However that assumes polygamy is introduced for anyone. At present I am opposed unless the immigration/tax issues are addressed.

potholedogger

Same sex groups should be treated the same.

However that assumes polygamy is introduced for anyone. At present I am opposed unless the immigration/tax issues are addressed.
Simply treat the third spouse as a single person. Treat four people as two couples. Limit dole support to two adults!

Limit children's allowance to 8 kids!

The Herren

Morally I have no objection provided it is extended to gay couples. My broader concern is the impact on immigration, taxation, property law.

How could it be extended to gay COUPLES? By definition there would have to be more that a couple to make it polygamy. Are you advocating that a gay couple counts as one " husband" and that they (he) could have numerous "wives"?