• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Equal rights for LGBT people in the EU: The EP takes one further step

• Thread starter MrFunkyBoogaloo
  • Start date

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

With the Oireachtas debating the Civil Partnerships and Co-Habitating Couples Bill today [thursday] i thought it important to highlight whereabouts the European Parliament is at on the issue.

27 Nov 2009

The European Parliament today adopted a resolution on the Multi-annual programme 2010-2014 regarding the area of freedom, security and justice, known as the Stockholm programme. By adopting this text, the European Parliament is calling on Member States "without prejudice to national legislation on family law, to ensure freedom of movement for EU citizens and their families, including both registered partnerships and marriages" in accordance with EU legislation, and "to avoid all kinds of discrimination on any ground, including sexual orientation" (paragraph 31).

Michael Cashman and Ulrike Lunacek MEPs, Co-presidents of the European Parliament's Intergroup on LGBT Rights, referred to the adoption of the text as "a step towards equality for all European citizens, although we regret that the resolution stops short of fully recognising same-sex unions." They continued: "The European Parliament has just sent a clear message that Member States need to ensure the freedom of movement of all families, and recognise unions between all EU citizens, regardless of their sexual orientation. The text goes in the direction of an EU-wide recognition of all unions contracted in Member States; this is good news for all EU citizens, but we will need to keep up the pressure on EU institutions and Member States in the coming years to fully recognise same-sex unions -- only then will we have genuine equality."
Evelyne Paradis, ILGA-Europe Policy Director, said that the resolution "is very welcome since it illustrates the will of the new European Parliament to pursue the work initiated in the previous term, in order to achieve mutual recognition of all marriages and civil partnerships legally registered in one Member State.
Full article available at www.ilga-europe.org

Ireland btw obtained and opt-out (on a case-by-case basis) of Justice and Home Affairs [Freedom, Security and Justice].

Perhaps same-sex marriages in Ireland afterall?

Last edited:

TommyO'Brien

Ah Well

Does this mean FutureTaoiseach will now start supporting the elites in Brussels?
Off Thread: I presume you are familiar with FT rather well online with such a comment after 34 posts

Semi on Thread: (re the equal rights for LGBT people in the EU) .... and referring to the T part of LGBT ... The Irish High Court in 2007 found in the Lydia Foy case that Irish Law was incompatible with the ECHR ...as far as I recall the Irish gov appealed to the Supreme Court ...
What's the present scenario with the Appeal?.... maybe folk like Corelli might have some idea

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

meanwhile... back at the ranch.

I think Ireland will opt-out on this one. FF especially! Unsure about FG?

If spain has same-sex marriage it would (if Ireland doesn't opt out) effectively mean that LGBT citizens could get married in Spain and have their civil marriages recognised here.

corelli

Off Thread: I presume you are familiar with FT rather well online with such a comment after 34 posts

Semi on Thread: (re the equal rights for LGBT people in the EU) .... and referring to the T part of LGBT ... The Irish High Court in 2007 found in the Lydia Foy case that Irish Law was incompatible with the ECHR ...as far as I recall the Irish gov appealed to the Supreme Court ...
What's the present scenario with the Appeal?.... maybe folk like Corelli might have some idea
And, hey presto, Corelli appears!!!

There is a rumor that the State have dropped their appeal though the Solicitor representing Ms. Foy, Michael Farrell, until recently had heard nothing to that effect. The appeal itself will probably come up next year, if not dropped. It's a sure fire winner for Ms. Foy and the State are adopting the usual tactic of making the Supreme Court do their legislating for them.

Baron von Biffo

With the Oireachtas debating the Civil Partnerships and Co-Habitating Couples Bill today [thursday] i thought it important to highlight whereabouts the European Parliament is at on the issue.

Ireland btw obtained and opt-out (on a case-by-case basis) of Justice and Home Affairs [Freedom, Security and Justice].

A lesbian couple, friends of mine, voted Yes to Lisbon because they felt it would ultimately lead to the EU forcing Ireland to grant gay marriage rights. They saw recognition of marriages in another EU state as the first step.

Clever ladies.

lebowskilite

Website
elchle.tumblr.com
i confidently predict this thread, like all lgbt related threads, will have reached 20 pages of queerbashing and reaction to queerbashing with 20 hours.

A lesbian couple, friends of mine, voted Yes to Lisbon because they felt it would ultimately lead to the EU forcing Ireland to grant gay marriage rights. They saw recognition of marriages in another EU state as the first step.

Clever ladies.
Is it true IBEC funded the group "Lesbians for Lisbon"?

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

I'll echo these questions too.

A google research returned very little updates on the case but Wikipedia had some info from 2009

Wikipedia said:
Although the issues have been raised in parliamentary debate, no ruling has been made. The declaration of incompatibility is not unconstitutional, but does place the government in a dilemma, and the need to reconcile Irish and European legislation.
On 5 January 2009, Thomas Hammarberg, the Human Rights Commissioner of the Council of Europe, stated with respect to the transgender community and specifically Foy that "There is no excuse for not immediately granting this community their full and unconditional human rights."
Nothing as yet i think regarding changes to the law.

Ah Well

And, hey presto, Corelli appears!!!

There is a rumor that the State have dropped their appeal though the Solicitor representing Ms. Foy, Michael Farrell, until recently had heard nothing to that effect. The appeal itself will probably come up next year, if not dropped. It's a sure fire winner for Ms. Foy and the State are adopting the usual tactic of making the Supreme Court do their legislating for them.
Tks for that Corelli! Sounds like conservatism in aul Ireland is about to be slightly further eroded in that case ...

And with that ... back on thread (sorry Mr FB)

:)

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Clever ladies.
Yes, perhaps as in 1993 and the decriminalisation of homosexuality.

But i would've argued with your friends that Lisbon wasn't needed for this new legislation to happen. ;)

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Tks for that Corelli! Sounds like conservatism in aul Ireland is about to be slightly further eroded in that case ...

And with that ... back on thread (sorry Mr FB)

:)

No worries. Lydia Foy's case i think is relevant to the broader topic.

ibis

meanwhile... back at the ranch.

I think Ireland will opt-out on this one. FF especially! Unsure about FG?

If spain has same-sex marriage it would (if Ireland doesn't opt out) effectively mean that LGBT citizens could get married in Spain and have their civil marriages recognised here.
Would it? It seems reasonable to suppose it does, but is it not possible for Ireland to enact legislation that recognises such unions contracted by non-citizens, but not by citizens? There's no rule as far as I'm aware that precludes exactly such discrimination, since marriage isn't an internal market matter.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Would it? It seems reasonable to suppose it does, but is it not possible for Ireland to enact legislation that recognises such unions contracted by non-citizens, but not by citizens? There's no rule as far as I'm aware that precludes exactly such discrimination, since marriage isn't an internal market matter.
Perhaps that should have been a question but that is my reading of it.

"without prejudice to national legislation on family law, to ensure freedom of movement for EU citizens and their families, including both registered partnerships and marriages"
I think Ireland will opt out of this one.

Baron von Biffo

Yes, perhaps as in 1993 and the decriminalisation of homosexuality.

But i would've argued with your friends that Lisbon wasn't needed for this new legislation to happen. ;)
I did! I did. Pure waste of time. Sadly they couldn't see their own country treating them as equal human beings without external pressure being brought to bear and they believed Lisbon would accelerate the process.

DaBrow

Hopefully the EU will implode by then... although its not far off!

It appears that the No Side was right after all!