Equality in Northern Ireland.

Novos

Could someone explain to me me why they feel they are not equal and what the political parties are actually fighting for?

cut the begs

theres no money in peace.they have to keep it going to keep their snouts in the trough.

hollandia

Could someone explain to me me why they feel they are not equal and what the political parties are actually fighting for?
Quite simple. On one hand, I am told I am a full and equal British citizen. On the other, if I am gay, I cannot marry my partner, like in the rest of the UK. If I am a woman, I cannot access abortion, like other women in the rest of the UK. Two examples off the top of my head. In other words, I am not a full and equal citizen of the UK.

I don't want to remain part of a country which does not treat me as an equal citizen. That's why I'm a nationalist.

When Northern Ireland is excluded from the rest of the UK - BBC News

Novos

Quite simple. On one hand, I am told I am a full and equal British citizen. On the other, if I am gay, I cannot marry my partner, like in the rest of the UK. If I am a woman, I cannot access abortion, like other women in the rest of the UK. Two examples off the top of my head. In other words, I am not a full and equal citizen of the UK.

I don't want to remain part of a country which does not treat me as an equal citizen. That's why I'm a nationalist.

When Northern Ireland is excluded from the rest of the UK - BBC News
But you are equal to everyone else in Northern Ireland and assuming you are not gay and not a woman you can't really complain.

You can always leave as well.

Marcella

Irish language rights enshrined in law as is the equivalent case in both Wales and Scotland.

InvestNI distributing their funds West of the Bann.

Infrastructure West of the Bann needs brought into the 21st Century.

Nationalist symbols reflected in the make up of the civic state.

Social investment funds being allocated on the basis of need alone.

Housing allocated on the basis of need alone.

An end to all marches through residential areas where they are not welcome.

A police service and prison service that reflects the demographic make up of the statelet.

Gay marriage rights.

Inquests for all victims of the troubles.

between the bridges

Jaysus did the art of constructing a flaming Fred die with moi's banning...

Enigma Variations

:roll:
Laughable stuff.
This is the poster who on another thread dishonestly tries to use bald numbers rather than percentages to prove that Catholics are not equal and that it is all the fault of nationalist politicians.
For the record, we now have equality of opportunity in the jobs market and the statistics prove it, but we've had to fight tooth and nail to do that. Nevertheless society here is unequal in many aspects, and Hollandia has highlighted 2 obvious ones. Irish language proponents are another group which the DUP are doing their utmost to deprive of rights taken as normal elsewhere in the UK and western Europe.

Maybe you just don't understand figures. I may have accused you in the wrong earlier.
Twice as many Catholic Schoolchildren on FSM are failing to gain 5 good GCSE's.
But there are twice as many Catholic children entitled to FSM, so both communities are equal.

What you have posted, apparently trying to back up some sort of underprivileged Catholic children superiority is meaningless nonsense without the actual numbers.
You have an uncanny knack of embarrassing yourself.

Novos

:roll:
Laughable stuff.
This is the poster who on another thread dishonestly tries to use bald numbers rather than percentages to prove that Catholics are not equal and that it is all the fault of nationalist politicians.
For the record, we now have equality of opportunity in the jobs market and the statistics prove it, but we've had to fight tooth and nail to do that. Nevertheless society here is unequal in many aspects, and Hollandia has highlighted 2 obvious ones. Irish language proponents are another group which the DUP are doing their utmost to deprive of rights taken as normal elsewhere in the UK and western Europe.

You have an uncanny knack of embarrassing yourself.
Eh, you been on the wine or something?
Society is not equal anywhere. If we are fighting elections on Gay Marriage Rights and abortion rights for women then it just goes to show how civilised we are.
If you're not too pissed ,explain parity of esteem to me while your at it.

Enigma Variations

Protestant and Catholic employment rates level for first time in Northern Ireland - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk
Employment rates among Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland are now level, with both communities evenly matched in most types of jobs, according to a report.
The statistics mark a transformation on 30 years ago, when the unemployment rate was twice as high in the Catholic community.
In 1992, 70% of working age Protestants and 54% of working age Catholics were in employment.But by last year, the rates were 68% and 67% respectively.
The report said that 18% of Protestants were in professional jobs, and 19% of Catholics.
Around one-quarter of males in both communities (27% of Protestants and 24% of Catholics) were employed in skilled trade occupations.
It should be embarrassing to all unionists that this is the first time ever that this has happened, and it has only come about through the tenacity of the SDLP and Sinn Fein over the years. The role of education of course is also important.

Enigma Variations

Eh, you been on the wine or something?
Society is not equal anywhere. If we are fighting elections on Gay Marriage Rights and abortion rights for women then it just goes to show how civilised we are.
If you're not too pissed ,explain parity of esteem to me while your at it.
Who's on the wine then?:lol:

You're still embarrassing yourself - mind you don't piss yourself before you go to bed.

Novos

Irish language rights enshrined in law as is the equivalent case in both Wales and Scotland.

A police service and prison service that reflects the demographic make up of the statelet.

Gay marriage rights.

Nah, not enough people speak it to justify the cost.

Nah, sort out West Belfast first.
Agree
Yeah no problem. Around 25% of symbols should be Nationalist.
Not sure what you mean.
Again not sure what you mean. Do you mean that immigrants should get first in the queue?
Yeah fine.
What's wrong with the PSNI apart from them being useless?
Gay marriage rights.
Yeah if you like.

Absolutely

Novos

Protestant and Catholic employment rates level for first time in Northern Ireland - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

It should be embarrassing to all unionists that this is the first time ever that this has happened, and it has only come about through the tenacity of the SDLP and Sinn Fein over the years. The role of education of course is also important.
Education was not just important it was the only thing that mattered. SF/DUP did nothing. It was Catholic Parents pushing their Kids into education. The SDLP was only founded in 1970 and can claim no credit for the improvement in Catholic living standards and education. That started in the late 50's early 60's. SF have been going for nearly 100 years and have achieved nothing.

Enigma Variations

Education was not just important it was the only thing that mattered. SF/DUP did nothing. It was Catholic Parents pushing their Kids into education. The SDLP was only founded in 1970 and can claim no credit for the improvement in Catholic living standards and education. That started in the late 50's early 60's. SF have been going for nearly 100 years and have achieved nothing.
Oh, ffs! The guy too p1ssed to know when to use "you're" and "your" is now giving me a history lecture instead.
For a start nobody mentioned Catholic living standards and only an absolute buffoon doesn't understand the adage that "a rising tide lifts all boats". We are talking exclusively about Catholic equality in employment and for the first time ever in the history of NI that was achieved in 2016. It was brought about by forcing through acceptance of fundamental employment principles which nationalists had to fight tooth and nail to win and achieved in increments through the implementation of The Fair Employment Acts 1976 and 1989, subsequently refined in the Fair Employment and Treatment (Northern Ireland) Order 1998, which came into operation on 1 March 1999. Unionists bitterly opposed both of those. In 1987 just after the signing of the Anglo Irish Agreement twice as many Catholics were unemployed as Protestants, despite being much more successful academically. The difference then was that well-educated Catholics back then had to move south or emigrate to Britain to find jobs.
You're displaying your total ignorance by pursuing what are blatantly obvious false arguments. You're a blustering fraud.

hollandia

But you are equal to everyone else in Northern Ireland and assuming you are not gay and not a woman you can't really complain.

Northern Ireland is not a sovereign country.

This is pretty píss poor stuff novos. A new low.

McSlaggart

Watch from 13 mins to see how well the DUP do on this issue.............

[video=youtube;20a1eoZ1oUU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20a1eoZ1oUU[/video]

james toney

New Threads

Most Replies