Er Ist Wieder Da

RasherHash

Or Look who's back.

I had no great interest in this film I must admit, I'd imagined it was more than likely your usual Hollywood "comedy" and I would probably not last past at least half way through.

But I must say I was surprised, this is a quiet challenge to the (at least German) orthodox perception on several levels.

Hitler wakes up in 2014, basically where his bunker was in 1945, and is treated as a comedian/mimic or what have you. He is taken on as a TV documentary project by a struggling film maker and becomes a talk show sensation basically because a lot of people agee with what he's saying wrt modern Germany.

The Hitler character is not protrayed as one might expect, as a raging, insane, crazily anti-Jewish loon but is rather calm, thoughtful and seems to have a reasonable grasp of things.

"Hitler" is brought out into the main thoroughfares and gets a mixed reception with some people laughing it up and giving mock Nazi salutes while others give the middle finger.

It seems anyway on the surface that attitudes are changing somewhat in Germany and this certainly was an entertaining and provocative way of taking stock of the atmosphere.

silverharp

its a good movie, there are some genuine lol moments in it. Some of the public scenes are staged though. Its a bit of a borat movie and I wouldn't give it a high weight in terms of cultural temperature

A Voice

Or Look who's back.

I had no great interest in this film I must admit, I'd imagined it was more than likely your usual Hollywood "comedy" and I would probably not last past at least half way through.

But I must say I was surprised, this is a quiet challenge to the (at least German) orthodox perception on several levels.

Hitler wakes up in 2014, basically where his bunker was in 1945, and is treated as a comedian/mimic or what have you. He is taken on as a TV documentary project by a struggling film maker and becomes a talk show sensation basically because a lot of people agee with what he's saying wrt modern Germany.

The Hitler character is not protrayed as one might expect, as a raging, insane, crazily anti-Jewish loon but is rather calm, thoughtful and seems to have a reasonable grasp of things.

"Hitler" is brought out into the main thoroughfares and gets a mixed reception with some people laughing it up and giving mock Nazi salutes while others give the middle finger.

It seems anyway on the surface that attitudes are changing somewhat in Germany and this certainly was an entertaining and provocative way of taking stock of the atmosphere.
You're such a total, total liar, Rasherhash!

Mitsui2

Or Look who's back.

I presume this is a film version of the recent novel of the same name by Timur Vermes, published in English as "Look Who's Back"

Unless the film is radically different from the book, I suspect that your hero-worship may have blinded you to the fact that it's a pretty scathing satire.

razorblade

Hitler should be remembered for the mass murdering scumbag he was, whatever way certain people want to spin it.

RasherHash

You're such a total, total liar, Rasherhash!
No need for nastiness, the films out almost a year and I've just seen it.

RasherHash

I presume this is a film version of the recent novel of the same name by Timur Vermes, published in English as "Look Who's Back"

Unless the film is radically different from the book, I suspect that your hero-worship may have blinded you to the fact that it's a pretty scathing satire.
You should watch the film so, I would say it's a scathing satire of Merkel policies and German censorship for sure.

Hitler is portrayed as way too nice for the comfort of the holocaust industry imho ;)

RasherHash

Hitler should be remembered for the mass murdering scumbag he was, whatever way certain people want to spin it.
I'm quite sure he'll be seen that way for the foreseeable future but I think one day he'll be revised in a similar way to the way Cromwell was

Clanrickard

I can see why you'd like that.

Clanrickard

I'm quite sure he'll be seen that way for the foreseeable future but I think one day he'll be revised in a similar way to the way Cromwell was
Bigoted anti-Semites like you revised him along time ago but you are swivel eyed lunatics. Normal people will always see him for the mad murderer he was.

PBP voter

Or Look who's back.

Why are there so many recording of him as "as a raging, insane, crazily anti-Jewish loon"?

Are these all fake? :roll:

Mitsui2

You should watch the film so, I would say it's a scathing satire of Merkel policies and German censorship for sure.

Hitler is portrayed as way too nice for the comfort of the holocaust industry imho ;)
The book was both intended and acknowledged as being a scathing satire on some aspects of modern German society and indeed modern Western society in general.

It seems the bit that either you or the film missed (and on past performance I must suspect that it was you) is that the plot revolves around the fact that people in Germany can't believe that anyone could really be as insane as the Hitler character, and mistake him for a parodic comedian. As such he becomes a celebrity and a big hit on what seems to be your old alma mater, the University of Youtube.

Or maybe you didn't miss this fact, but simply choose to misrepresent it - which, again on past performance, would be par for your particularly dumb course.

As regards
I must admit it comes as a surprise to me to hear you have an honest opinion!

milipod

[video=youtube;kHmYIo7bcUw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmYIo7bcUw&t=5s&spfreload=10[/video]

olli rehn

[video=youtube;QdvG-OKg14s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdvG-OKg14s[/video]

Old Mr Grouser

I'll bet rasher has a screenshot of Hitler at the computer taped to his deskside mirror!

:)

About ten or twenty years ago I saw a little pseudo-dirty magazine, full of pin-up style photos; all the girls decently dressed in solid 1950s-style one-piece bathing suits, but also wearing nazi helmets and swastika armbands.

What turns you on, turns you on.

Stentor

Or Look who's back.

Read the slim paperback a few years ago. Bestseller in Germany apparently.
Good to see they can at last laugh about that era. It is comedy gold after all.

The first chapter was amusing but it got tired fast after that. Still, good idea.
Hitler is probably the most compelling figure of the past hundred years or so.

If you do read the book or like the idea, I would recommend Philip K Dick "The Man in the High Tower".

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies