• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

ESB Bills

Yosser

Just got my ESB bill today. €200 ! I thought the last one was big! My ESB bill has gone up dramatically over the past year. there are only two of us.:cry:

Akrasia

I had a bill for 270 euros before christmas, the previous one was for 60 euros, two of us in a 2 bed apt, we had storage heaters only used them like, 5 times (used an open fire the rest of the time)

Moved out of that apartment after christmas....

imokyrok

Actually my bill for ESB this quarter seems lower than usual. €348 as opposed to an average of €600 per quarter last year. Does anyone know if there have been price changes this year?

Factorem

It's getting to the stage now where micro-generation (i.e. electronicly controlled diesel generator) is cheaper than a centralised electricity network.

Timeisshort

Have you checked to see if your last couple of bills were estimates, and the more expensive ones are meter readings ? Catches a lot of people out.

Keep a track of the units on your meter, or tie a pit bull to the meter so they cant read it :D

Middleaged

There was a 2.7% increase in Jan, from .1597 per unit to .1640 per unit.

Then they gave us credit for PSO, (big swinging mickey) which apparently should have the effect of .6% reduction.

It's clear they are lying to us again.

ESB worker's got a 3.5% pay increase also.

Middleaged

It's getting to the stage now where micro-generation (i.e. electronicly controlled diesel generator) is cheaper than a centralised electricity network.
Now it is, apparently, and I have looked into all this, Diesel will the first fuel to spike should/if econmomic climate changes.

We have the most expensive electricity in Europe and unless we encourage more competition we will continue to be charged too much.

Akrasia

I switched to Airtricity for the 13% discount, but I have a feeling its only a discount on the units used and not the 'standing charge' which when vat is added on makes up half the bill, so the 13% discount will end up being a 6% discount.

cactusflower

Hard to know why anyone is still with the ESB. The Regulator insists that they price at 14% higher than the competition.

Airtricity direct debit is the cheapest environmentally soundest electricity I could find - it took half an hour to change over.

Electricity prices in Ireland are deliberately pushed up by the Regulator under the delusion that that will lead to competition and better services. It didn't work with Telecoms/broadband and it isn't working with digital televison. Ireland is too small a market for viable competition between private firms. We need to renationalise the lot and run it in the public interest.

seabhcan

Hard to know why anyone is still with the ESB. The Regulator insists that they price at 14% higher than the competition.

Airtricity direct debit is the cheapest environmentally soundest electricity I could find - it took half an hour to change over.

Electricity prices in Ireland are deliberately pushed up by the Regulator under the delusion that that will lead to competition and better services. It didn't work with Telecoms/broadband and it isn't working with digital televison. Ireland is too small a market for viable competition between private firms. We need to renationalise the lot and run it in the public interest.
ESB is state owned.

imokyrok

Is airtricity significantly "greener" than the ESB or Bord Gais?

Digout

The last bill i got from esb was about 280, I live on my own!!!! Storage heaters are the problem apparently. I move to Airtricity just after that and they are charging me 70 a month.

bluefish

You are all wrong!

Our Leader Mr Brian Cowen, and his sidekick Toto Lenihan, tell us that the country is in deflation, and prices are falling!

So it must be True!

They wouldn't lie to us would they?

And its my imagination that petrol is increasing!

slx

It was never denationalised in the first place!

What we need to do is fire the regulator, re-draft the energy regulations and tackle the inefficiencies.

It's highly unlikely to happen under the current Government.

On the one hand you've got Fianna Fail... 'nuff said!

and on the other hand you've got the Greens who are aiming to decrease electricity consumption, so I really can't see Eamon Ryan doing anything to reduce prices, even if it's placing our native businesses, particularly in high-energy consumption areas like food production, at a major disadvantage and also hurting our ability to attract FDI.

Rolling out lots and lots of wind etc is great, but in the short term we need cheaper power.

Digout

Its been suggested to me bu an electrician that the ESB meters are faulty and that they are overcharging. Has anybody heard of this ? Remember, this is paddyland, a state sponsored scam is not unusual here.

code twinkle

Its been suggested to me bu an electrician that the ESB meters are faulty and that they are overcharging. Has anybody heard of this ? Remember, this is paddyland, a state sponsored scam is not unusual here.
Well our bills have gone up a crazy amount in the last year and not one person has ever been out to physically check the meter. Hence why am changing over to Airtricity. And in answer to that question above, yes Airtricity are significantly greener.. 8 times greener than ESB, 5 times greener than Bord Gais.

C

caveman

The underlying problem is that politicians claim their ESB charges as part of their "expenses". This is because their "expenses" include all costs incurred to keep alive, keep the family in handy jobs etc etc.

If Cowen & co. were paying ESB bills from their own cash, we would see a change fast.

myksav

Nope, the meters are very accurate.
Simple test. Switch off everything electrical in the house, except for the fridge/freezer or alarms. Check the power consumption of those items, they're usually rated by kW/hr. Compare the reading with the posted consumption.
It's actually easier to use more appliances over the same time period for the test.

Where over-charging occurs is with estimated readings. These are based on the same time frame of the previous year, or the last reading. Sometimes it's under-estimated.

My last bill actually went over 100 euro. :eek: I know where the power went, though. I made a profit.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Another example of public-sector inefficiency. My previous 2 bills were €187 and €118 respectively. This month was €40 but it's too late. I've switched to Bord Gáis. It may also be a semi-state, but perhaps it won't be as avaricious as the ESB. I would also advice those remaining with ESB to login on their website and use the meter-reading options to type in your meter-reading (it's supposed to be typed in within 8 days of your last bill - otherwise, it will just be used for future estimates). You can get a key to read your meter from Tesco.