ESB buying NI Electricity, unionist leaders object

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie
Ah yes, another blow to 'wee Ulster’ and it's diminishing sovereignty. Interesting how the unionists were trying to getting a little carried away with the IMF loan to the south until it was pointed out to them the crisis facing Britain and it's 4.8 trillion debt. So anyway, will Paisley, Robinson and co. declare war or something as they say it is 'inappropriate' and said it amounted to the purchase of a 'key component' of Northern Ireland's national infrastructure if this goes ahead ?

"Unionist leaders in Northern Ireland have written to Taoiseach Brian Cowen to formally object to the ESB's planned takeover of Northern Ireland Electricity......A spokesperson for the ESB said the company's plan to purchase NIE remained on course and was expected to be completed by the end of the year. "

Unionists object to ESB takeover of NIE - RT News

English man

Ah yes, another blow to 'wee Ulster’ and it's diminishing sovereignty. Interesting how the unionists were trying to getting a little carried away with the IMF loan to the south until it was pointed out to them the crisis facing Britain and it's 4.8 trillion debt. So anyway, will Paisley, Robinson and co. declare war or something as they say it is 'inappropriate' and said it amounted to the purchase of a 'key component' of Northern Ireland's national infrastructure if this goes ahead ?

"Unionist leaders in Northern Ireland have written to Taoiseach Brian Cowen to formally object to the ESB's planned takeover of Northern Ireland Electricity......A spokesperson for the ESB said the company's plan to purchase NIE remained on course and was expected to be completed by the end of the year. "

Unionists object to ESB takeover of NIE - RT News
Why any politican would object to this blows my mind!

Its just logical to have one company supply to the whole of the Island.

The same should be done to the health service, police, tourist board etc etc.

EnglishObserver

I see what you mean mate - perhaps borders world wide should be abandoned.

:rolleyes:

vinoboy

this is an old thread ,under EEC law ,there are no economic borders .I am reasonably relaxed providing their is proper governance arrangements , would not be surprised if it changes hands to somebody else soon to bail out ROI deficit.

English man

I see what you mean mate - perhaps borders world wide should be abandoned.

:rolleyes:
Stupid comment.

You can't compare other countries with a small Island with a population of 6 million, not to mention the history involved on the Island.

Take policing for example, they have two police forces on the island. The border area for criminals must be like disney land for children. Eg,

A thief steals a car in N.Ireland close to the boarder with the psni in pusuit. He drives across the boarder and the psni stop. The officers then must contact their control room who in turn will contact the AGS control room who will contact a patrol car if available. As this takes time the theif escapes!

Other countries have visable boarders Ireland doesn't.

Add that to the fact that half the population would favour closer co-operation with the two areas.

Evergreenfinch

Stupid comment.

You can't compare other countries with a small Island with a population of 6 million, not to mention the history involved on the Island.

Take policing for example, they have two police forces on the island. The border area for criminals must be like disney land for children. Eg,

A thief steals a car in N.Ireland close to the boarder with the psni in pusuit. He drives across the boarder and the psni stop. The officers then must contact their control room who in turn will contact the AGS control room who will contact a patrol car if available. As this takes time the theif escapes!

Add that to the fact that half the population would favour closer co-operation with the two areas.
Sure a theif could steal a car in Spain, drive to France in minutes and even then to Italy within an hour or two. Should these countries have one police force also? Should Wales and England and Scotland have one force? America and Canada?

EnglishObserver

Stupid comment.

Superb analysis. I stand in awe.

In what way do other countries world wide have 'visable boarders'? Do you actually mean 'boarders'? I have images of bright Eton waistcoats...

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie

Well at least we have one English man with a bit of sense here unlike a so called English Observer !!!! Anyway my job has been involved in working with the ESB now and again, not saying I'm an electrical engineer or something, but I know a little about the company and it's network. The south been a much larger network actually sells whatever XXXX amount of Megawatts of electricity to NI Electricity anyway. So it only makes sense to have a single network.

English man

Sure a theif could steal a car in Spain, drive to France in minutes and even then to Italy within an hour or two. Should these countries have one police force also? Should Wales and England and Scotland have one force? America and Canada?
Do France and Spain have a growing and significant security situation? Which when you think about it would be reason enough to have one police force in order to effectively combat these terrorists and save lives. Two organisations working for the same aim, How much more results would they achieve as one?

And you try and cross into America from Canada without coming across police or officals:rolleyes:

In Ireland you would not even be aware you were crossing! Again totally different situation.

Also you can't compare British Police forces to the situation in Ireland.

Also I am sure the people along the boarder areas would welcome this and would greatly reduce crime.

To compare the Irish situation to Franch and Spain is just plain silly!

northernstar

Do France and Spain have a growing and significant security situation? Which when you think about it would be reason enough to have one police force in order to effectively combat these terrorists and save lives. Two organisations working for the same aim, How much more results would they achieve as one?

And you try and cross into America from Canada without coming across police or officals:rolleyes:

In Ireland you would not even be aware you were crossing! Again totally different situation.

Also I am sure the people along the boarder areas would welcome this and would greatly reduce crime.

You're spot on. Also he doesn't seem to be aware that France, Germany, Spain etc DO co-operate very heavily, via Scehgen Agreement etc

EnglishObserver

English man said:

I think you over rate the terrorist threat. Your hope of a single Ireland police force is hilarious in it's futility.

More comic thoughts. You can cross The US/Canadian border almost anywhere without detection. Do you think they have a Berlin type wall?

I thought many of the people along the border were actively involved in crime - why would they need more effective policing?

No, it's you who is just plain silly - my 'English' compatriot (giggle).

Evergreenfinch

How is it silly, have you never heard of Basque terrorists?

The PSNI and Garda work in full cooperation with each other, I'm sure they have some agreement when it comes to cross border pursuits.

Maybe you can answer this for me, if this island had one police force how would it be funded? Currently all taxes in this country go to englan#, so you expect Ireland to fund a police force in Ni and not collect any money for that bother, wise up man. I can spot a closet republican a mile off and you're one of them.

Plus England has what? 30+ police forces, some only 1500 strong, yet they have a cc, now that's an awful waste of resources and money.

Plus a few years back I had driven from Germany to Holland, Belgium and France within 3 hours, 4 countries, if i had been a terrorist I would have been laughing as there wasn't a single cop checking who was coming into their country. Plus our security situation is no worse than anyone elses, we just like to moan about it more.

New Threads

Most Replies