ESB buying NI Electricity, unionist leaders object

English man

I am no republican! I would rather see British tax money spend on the British people.

Recently my country paid over 800 million towards policing in N.Ireland this money could have built at least 10 hospitals, this is frustrating to the British tax payer.

Talking of health service this is another fine example where co-operation could be increased.

Would it not be practical for the two health services to work together in boarder areas. Take for example an accident in Donegal in which Southern Irish paramedics would take 30mins to attend, well maybe an ambulance crew in Londonderry would be there in 15mins and save lifes!

The reasons for greater co-operation are endless.

Tedkins

This is laughable. Firstly, I think you'll find most borders within the EU are fairly relaxed to the point of being entirely missable. Secondly, presumably you are aware that taxpayers in Northern Ireland are paying into Her Majesty's Treasury. Thirdly, Northern Ireland has a few British citizens living in it. Obviously this is all news to you, going by your posts. I know English education isn't the best but surely you can do better than this.

English man

This is laughable. Firstly, I think you'll find most borders within the EU are fairly relaxed to the point of being entirely missable. Secondly, presumably you are aware that taxpayers in Northern Ireland are paying into Her Majesty's Treasury. Thirdly, Northern Ireland has a few British citizens living in it. Obviously this is all news to you, going by your posts. I know English education isn't the best but surely you can do better than this.
Paying into the treasury! dont make me laugh. The money paid is a drop in the ocean compared to what N.Ireland cost the British tax payer.

N.Ireland is part of the UK not Britian! So the "British citizens" must be there on holidays.

Tedkins

Er, no, I think you'll find citizens of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland are termed "British citizens"...Ali G doesn't do documentaries you know, those are just jokes...

I pay in plenty and I've never claimed a benefit in my life. Maybe the south-east of England should just go indepenedent if that's your attitude. I think you'll find most countries are made up of different regions which contribute to different extents.

Antrim

I am no republican! I would rather see British tax money spend on the British people.

Recently my country paid over 800 million towards policing in N.Ireland this money could have built at least 10 hospitals, this is frustrating to the British tax payer.
Paying into the treasury! dont make me laugh. The money paid is a drop in the ocean compared to what N.Ireland cost the British tax payer.

N.Ireland is part of the UK not Britian! So the "British citizens" must be there on holidays.
Just to clarify, England is not a county, your country is the UK, so the UK looked after itself, shock horror. Do you think the richer states of the USA like California resent poorer parts of their county? The fact that NI and Northern England are poor is because the UK government took away local powers centralizing UK decision making to London centralizing the UK economy in London. With the devolved assembly some of the regions now have the power to affect their own fortunes. I’m sure the Scots feel great that London has taken all of their oil revenue.

Citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland are considered British.

EnglishObserver

Talking of health service this is another fine example where co-operation could be increased.

Would it not be practical for the two health services to work together in boarder areas. Take for example an accident in Donegal in which Southern Irish paramedics would take 30mins to attend, well maybe an ambulance crew in Londonderry would be there in 15mins and save lifes!

As is your hopeless deception. LOL

Evergreenfinch

EM I am a British person, I hold a British passport and pay taxes and N. ins contributions. Britain spends billions to fight wars around the world, which people from NI have lost their lives in whilst wearing the British uniform, plus it spends billions protecting Englands borders also from muslim extremists, our security costs are a drop in the ocean to the £7billion spend to fight in Afghanistan and the £830billion spend to save rich bankers! Yes we may have been given more than we paid back, but parts of Northern England are in the same situation. George Osbornes austerity plans aim to change it so that we only get what we pay in taxes, which I agree with, unusual for me to agree with a Tory.

Plus ambulances, fire brigades and mountain/sea rescue services ignore the border when it comes to saving lives and that works both ways.

English man

EM I am a British person, I hold a British passport and pay taxes and N. ins contributions. Britain spends billions to fight wars around the world, which people from NI have lost their lives in whilst wearing the British uniform, plus it spends billions protecting Englands borders also from muslim extremists, our security costs are a drop in the ocean to the £7billion spend to fight in Afghanistan and the £830billion spend to save rich bankers! Yes we may have been given more than we paid back, but parts of Northern England are in the same situation. George Osbornes austerity plans aim to change it so that we only get what we pay in taxes, which I agree with, unusual for me to agree with a Tory.

Plus ambulances, fire brigades and mountain/sea rescue services ignore the border when it comes to saving lives and that works both ways.
No sorry look again at your passport, it should say Great Britian AND N.Ireland. As you will notice N.I is not part Britian. Yes you are part of the UK for now. You are a N.Irish citizen living in a part of the UK.

Yes N.Irish men have lost their in a British uniform as have Southern Irish men does this make them British? If I join the French Foreign Leigion and died in battle am I French???

Their is a major difference between N.Ireland and the South of England its called the Irish sea. The south of England is our problem N.Ireland should not be!

Also I do appreciate the work emergency services do my point is more co-operation would benefit the people of both sides.

Tedkins

It isn't part of Great Britain. Neither is the Isle of Wight. Is it not British either then in your opinion? Doesn't really count for much then...look at your passport - if its anything like mine it will describe you as a "British Citizen". There is no such thing as Northern Irish citizenship, you're just being silly. Seriously though, citizenship classes mightn't be such a bad idea for chaps like you...

If the English didn't want Northern Ireland to be their problem then they shouldn't have came here in the first place. They did. They reap what they sow. Get over it and stop whingeing.

Wee Buns

"No sorry look again at your passport, it should say Great Britian AND N.Ireland. As you will notice N.I is not part Britian. Yes you are part of the UK for now. You are a N.Irish citizen living in a part of the UK. "

Great Britain is a completely different concept to that of just plain old Britain and you are mixing up the two in an attempt to validate your duff argument.

Tedkins

Indeed. I just see Britain as a causal shorthand term for the UK, whereas Great Britain is simply the island to our east. Plenty of British UK terrority isn't in (or rather on) Great Britain but that doesn't make it or its people any less British. English people must get so annoyed when they need us colonials to explain their country to them.

Wee Buns

Indeed. I just see Britain as a causal shorthand term for the UK, whereas Great Britain is simply the island to our east. Plenty of British UK terrority isn't in (or rather on) Great Britain but that doesn't make it or its people any less British. English people must get so annoyed when they need us colonials to explain their country to them.
I couldn't agree more Tedkins.

Evergreenfinch

No sorry look again at your passport, it should say Great Britian AND N.Ireland. As you will notice N.I is not part Britian. Yes you are part of the UK for now. You are a N.Irish citizen living in a part of the UK.

Yes N.Irish men have lost their in a British uniform as have Southern Irish men does this make them British? If I join the French Foreign Leigion and died in battle am I French???

Their is a major difference between N.Ireland and the South of England its called the Irish sea. The south of England is our problem N.Ireland should not be!

Also I do appreciate the work emergency services do my point is more co-operation would benefit the people of both sides.
My passport says European Union and United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

When I look inside it says under nationality BRITISH CITIZEN. Look up British Passport in wikipedia, last time I looked one of the pictures shows the passport of someone being born in Newry as a British Citizen. The Demonym of the citizens of the UK is British.

Tedkins

Geography...its wee buns...I can't see our Englishman going round saying the Isle of Wight and the Hebrides and the Isle of Dogs and Angelsey and Lindisfarne are so on aren't British territory because they're not in Great Britain...how far does that go, is Corsica French, Sardinia and Sicily Italian, its a pretty silly argument and my passport disagrees...

Scipio

British citizens in Northern Ireland are, of course, British.

If there is any confusion at all, it may stem from the fact that the name of the country specifies that it is a kingdom united between Great Britain and Northern Ireland whereas France, Italy et al. make no such distinction.

English man

My passport says European Union and United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Yes for now N.I is part of the UK not Great Britain, so really you are a UK citizen not British as you do not live in Britain as such.

You live in N.I which is part of the UK but not Britain, if N.Ireland was in Britain why have the Great Britain AND N.Ireland??

English man

If the English didn't want Northern Ireland to be their problem then they shouldn't have came here in the first place. They did. They reap what they sow. Get over it and stop whingeing.
I agree 100% it was totally wrong and my country is paying for it now.

But with the growing nationatist population the time will soon be right to change history.

English man

British citizens in Northern Ireland are, of course, British.

If there is any confusion at all, it may stem from the fact that the name of the country specifies that it is a kingdom united between Great Britain and Northern Ireland whereas France, Italy et al. make no such distinction.
But you are not from Britain and do not live in Britain, how are you British???

Yes you live in the UK which has a link with Britain, but its not Britain!

England, Scotland and Wales = Great Britain

England, Scotland, Wales AND N.Ireland = UK

You are Northern Irish living in the UK.

Any confusion is due to you mad unionists fighting a losing battle.:cool:

Most Replies

Top Bottom