ESB to close two peat-fired Midlands power stations

truthisfree

The power station at Shannonbridge and Lanesbro are to be closed, no compulsory redundancies though. They failed to get permission for converting to biomass but they can appeal this decision. If I recall correctly there was an idea to convert these to rubbish incinerators, surely this would be a better use of them rather than dismantling them as they plan?

Sync

Depends on how clean the incineration would be, the projected usage of the unitsmand how much it would cost to convert and then service the units.

truthisfree

Depends on how clean the incineration would be, the projected usage of the unitsmand how much it would cost to convert and then service the units.
Yes, I don't know enough about that Sync but will do some research on it and add to OP

wombat

The peat boilers wouldn't burn hot enough to destroy the nasty emissions from plastics so they would either need to be replaced or careful segregation of rubbish would need to be done, not really a practical proposition.

Baron von Biffo

The peat boilers wouldn't burn hot enough to destroy the nasty emissions from plastics so they would either need to be replaced or careful segregation of rubbish would need to be done, not really a practical proposition.
And anyway, we already have a fine incinerator in Dublin that could become The National Incinerator since almost everything else that's National is located there.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Hmm. Sewage plant and big hot fire nearby. They'd better issue a warning to all Dubliners to take it easy with the spicy foods or there'll be a loose spark, a massive bang and Coolock will smell of sh1t for months.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I wonder how an auctioneer would try to maintain property prices in a shyte covered Coolock. 'A unique location with instant access to the local landscape and wildlife benefitting from the gentle aromatic breezes from the slopes of the MacGillicuddy Reeks'.

wombat

And anyway, we already have a fine incinerator in Dublin that could become The National Incinerator since almost everything else that's National is located there.
There are several incinerators around the country, usually in pharma plants but I think the only ones burning general waste are in Dublin and Meath. Not sure if the Drogheda cement factory burns general waste. My opinion is that incinerators are preferable to landfill sites, maybe that's BNM's plans for "rehabilitating" bogs?

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
I don't mind what use they put them to as long as they stop burning peat.

truthisfree

I'm reading that the biomass would have to be imported, strange that we don't grow it!

truthisfree

They hasd years to prepare for this by cultivating willow,Rushes etc. Sadly lazziness and incompetence won the day:(
There are acres and acres of marginal land that is very well suited to growing biomass...missed opportunity. I have also seen how willow in particular is quite amazing in its ability to consume raw human sewage...

wombat

There are acres and acres of marginal land that is very well suited to growing biomass...missed opportunity. I have also seen how willow in particular is quite amazing in its ability to consume raw human sewage...
The problem with biomass, wood, peat, is the heat content/kg is low, they are not good fuels, never were, never will be.

truthisfree

The problem with biomass, wood, peat, is the heat content/kg is low, they are not good fuels, never were, never will be.
This is true, I have grown and felled my own Willow and Birch...not great as firewood at all.

Turbinator

Compared to coal,oil and gas - yes, but the power plants in question are already set up to burn peat so if they are to have any future then similar fuels will have to be utilized as best we can

wombat

Compared to coal,oil and gas - yes, but the power plants in question are already set up to burn peat so if they are to have any future then similar fuels will have to be utilized as best we can
40 years ago, there was an electrical professor in UCD who's comment on turf burning power stations was "it would be cheaper to burn fivers"

McTell

Twitter
No
So the guys who are paying PSO on their electric bills won't have to any more, or pay less?

The "levy" was to keep the jobs going in what everyone knew was the most polluting type of generation.

However, this levy doesn’t only support electricity from renewables, which reduces greenhouse gas emissions; more than €100 million is used to support continued production of electricity from peat, which generates more greenhouse gas emissions than any other fossil fuel.
Support for peat-fired electricity is damaging to the climate and costly to consumers. It should be halted as soon as possible. We need to find ways to support employment in the midlands that are not damaging to the environment.

Uganda

The power station at Shannonbridge and Lanesbro are to be closed, no compulsory redundancies though. They failed to get permission for converting to biomass but they can appeal this decision. If I recall correctly there was an idea to convert these to rubbish incinerators, surely this would be a better use of them rather than dismantling them as they plan?

yet another death knell of rural Ireland as we know it..........

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies