ESRI & IHREC study finds 17% of Irish people think some races are born more intelligent than others

afns1

ESRI & IHREC study finds 17% of Irish people think some races are born more intelligent than others

One article on this:
Irish Times:
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/almost-20-of-irish-adults-believe-some-races-born-less-intelligent-1.3443527

I would currently find myself in the 17%, from what I've read on IQ over the years e.g. sample article on a quick search: https://iq-research.info/en/average-iq-by-country .

From what I have seen, IQ and the like has a high hereditary factor which suggests these differences are probably not solely down to some sort of nurture factor post birth.

It doesn't mean I think white Irish people are the most intelligent. The figures I have seen suggest that people from many east Asian countries are the most intelligent on average. On a more anecdotal level, people of East Asian ethnicity seem to be over-represented in those who do very well academically in the US. That may partly be down to "tiger parenting" but it may well not be solely due to this.

Of course there is a wide distribution of scores within each group so on an individual level one doesn't know who is more intelligent in a choice between 2 people based on their race/ethnicity.

I find it interesting that it seems to be almost presented as fact that anyone who thinks there is a racial factor to intelligence is incorrect.
---
Edited to add:
Sample reference on heritability of IQ in general: "Heritability of IQ for adults is between 58% and 77%" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritability_of_IQ

Last edited:

Hunter-Gatherer

In terms of survival and reproduction , cockroaches are very successful. Rhinos are majestic and nearly extinct

Lúidín

I find it interesting that it seems to be almost presented as fact that anyone who thinks there is a racial factor to intelligence is incorrect.
I've read and re-read that but still can't make it out. It must be my stupid gene or maybe it just doesn't make sense.

Lúidín

I've read and re-read that but still can't make it out. It must be my stupid gene or maybe it just doesn't make sense.

flavirostris

Certain races are more intelligent. East Asians have the highest average IQs

Sync

Using your link then, what do you think is the biological difference between Asian people born in Singapore and Asian people born in Myanmar which leads to a 22% difference? Or Africans born in Zimbabwe vs those born in Lesotho which leads to a 14% difference?

Mercurial

If that many of us think so, maybe it's the Irish who are born stupid.

Ireniall

One article on this:
Irish Times:
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/almost-20-of-irish-adults-believe-some-races-born-less-intelligent-1.3443527

I would currently find myself in the 17%, from what I've read on IQ over the years e.g. sample article on a quick search: https://iq-research.info/en/average-iq-by-country .

From what I have seen, IQ and the like has a high hereditary factor which suggests these differences are probably not solely down to some sort of nurture factor post birth.

It doesn't mean I think white Irish people are the most intelligent. The figures I have seen suggest that people from many east Asian countries are the most intelligent on average. On a more anecdotal level, people of East Asian ethnicity seem to be over-represented in those who do very well academically in the US. That may partly be down to "tiger parenting" but it may well not be solely due to this.

Of course there is a wide distribution of scores within each group so on an individual level one doesn't know who is more intelligent in a choice between 2 people based on their race/ethnicity.

Even from the figures you give there is too much variation in the races at the bottom and some of their close relations are well up towards the middle. That more or less cannot happen-not in large populations. I am convinced that European Jews are the only exception to the general rule of rough equality and I see that they are not enough to put Israel up the rankings. I think that IQ measures perspiration more than inspiration.

stopdoingstuff

The only thing IQ tests measure accurately is a person's ability to take an IQ test.
This could be true but there is a good correlation between g factor and both academic and professional performance. That cannot be written off as those areas are of immense practical importance.

GDPR

This could be true but there is a good correlation between g factor and both academic and professional performance. That cannot be written off as those areas are of immense practical importance.
At the group level yes, but there is only a weak co-relation for an individual.

Mercurial

You know what they say about correlation...

Sync

I agree with that. But what Merc says is also true. An IQ Test is a useful way of testing someone’s ability to complete specific tests. Someone who’s good at that will more than likely be good at academics, particularly in secondary school where route learning is the norm.

That’s not “intelligence” though. Much of the aggro about IQ tests is about the acronym and what it implies to low scorers.

But it’s ludicrous to look at Hong Kong’s results which has an incredibly high literacy rate and incredibly high school standards and say “maybe they’re just inherently smarter as a people than those born in Brunei 2000 km away’”. As the OPer claims.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies