ESRI & IHREC study finds 17% of Irish people think some races are born more intelligent than others

Dame_Enda

Since 1945 suggesting racial superiority has been a big political no-no because of how it was used by the Nazis to justify genocide.

However while we dont want to return to those days, I think science should be allowed function including investigating whether some ethnicites have genetic advantages/disadvantages, without suggesting it justifies oppression. We already know for example that in Ireland there is an illness known as the "Celtic Disease" (Hereditary Haemochromatosis (HH)) which seems especially common here.

I also happen to strongly suspect that Asians tend to be better at mathematics because research seems to point to it.

Strawberry

Since 1945 suggesting racial superiority has been a big political no-no because of how it was used by the Nazis to justify genocide.

However while we dont want to return to those days, I think science should be allowed function including investigating whether some ethnicites have genetic advantages/disadvantages, without suggesting it justifies oppression. We already know for example that in Ireland there is an illness known as the "Celtic Disease" which seems especially common here.
Science is allowed to function and investigate issues like this, which is why the race-IQ nonsense spouted by the likes of Murray and Lynn have been debunked long ago.

Dame_Enda

Science is allowed to function and investigate issues like this, which is why the race-IQ nonsense spouted by the likes of Murray and Lynn have been debunked long ago.
So you don't believe then that Black men tend to be stronger and more athletic than their White counterparts? The Olympics would seem to imply it.

And you don't think the perpetual chaos of Sub Saharan Africa suggests inadequacy in other departments?

Overall I dont believe there is such a thing as inferior or superior races. But I do believe different ethnicities may be better/worse endowed by nature to accomplish different tasks.

Strawberry

So you don't believe then that Black men tend to be stronger and more athletic than their White counterparts? The Olympics would seem to imply it.
That has no bearing on the subject of this thread. And if you're going to discuss racial differences at least get a bit more up to date than 19th century classifications based on skin colour - we have mapped the human genome by now, you know. There is more genetic variation between different ethnic groups in Africa than there is overall difference between black and white, or maybe you could point me to the pygmies and Australian aborigines who have wowed us at the Olympics.

Strawberry

And you don't think the perpetual chaos of Sub Saharan Africa suggests inadequacy in other departments?

Overall I dont believe there is such a thing as inferior or superior races. But I do believe different ethnicities may be better/worse endowed by nature to accomplish different tasks.
Your belief has no bearing on current scientific knowledge about race and IQ which is the subject of this thread.

GDPR

However while we dont want to return to those days, I think science should be allowed function including investigating whether some ethnicites have genetic advantages/disadvantages, without suggesting it justifies oppression. We already know for example that in Ireland there is an illness known as the "Celtic Disease" (Hereditary Haemochromatosis (HH)) which seems especially common here.

I also happen to strongly suspect that Asians tend to be better at mathematics because research seems to point to it.
The evidence from countries like Singapore etc is that Asian parents nurture a love of maths from an early age, as they revere the subject. They play maths games with tots, like "We're on the fifth floor in the elevator now - so how many stops till we reach the 11th?", buy them puzzle books, and send them to maths enrichment classes.

They do pretty much what parents in the west used to do with literacy skills - reading to their children and with them, and playing word games,making up stories etc etc.

Dame_Enda

That has no bearing on the subject of this thread. And if you're going to discuss racial differences at least get a bit more up to date than 19th century classifications based on skin colour - we have mapped the human genome by now, you know. There is more genetic variation between different ethnic groups in Africa than there is overall difference between black and white, or maybe you could point me to the pygmies and Australian aborigines who have wowed us at the Olympics.
Kathy Freeman?

McTell

Twitter
No
OP

//

// there is a wide distribution of scores within each group so on an individual level one doesn't know who is more intelligent in a choice between 2 people based on their race/ethnicity.

I find it interesting that it seems to be almost presented as fact that anyone who thinks there is a racial factor to intelligence is incorrect.

But there's one human race, sez the intelligent scientists.

We're all different as our brains are wired different. There's "african" airline pilots and "white" homeless drunks.

Plus, papers gotta sell copies....

afns1

Do the people who think there are no average differences in IQ and intelligence between races think there is no hereditary component to IQ and other measures of intelligence?

This is a view (no hereditary component) that seems to be sometimes encouraged in students in some social studies areas e.g. sociology, from what I have picked up informally.

Sample reference on this: "Heritability of IQ for adults is between 58% and 77%" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritability_of_IQ

Last edited:

parentheses

Denying Genetics Isn’t Shutting Down Racism, It’s Fueling It

It’s by David Reich, a professor of genetics at Harvard, who carefully advanced the case that there are genetic variations between subpopulations of humans, that these are caused, as in every other species, by natural selection, and that some of these variations are not entirely superficial and do indeed overlap with our idea of race.
For many on the academic and journalistic left, genetics are deemed largely irrelevant when it comes to humans.
Reich simply points out that this utopian fiction is in danger of collapse because it is not true and because genetic research is increasingly proving it untrue.
The ancestors of East Asians, Europeans, West Africans and Australians were, until recently, almost completely isolated from one another for 40,000 years or longer, which is more than sufficient time for the forces of evolution to work.” Which means to say that the differences could be (and actually are) substantial.

This will lead to subtle variations in human brains, and thereby differences in intelligence tests,
Denying Genetics Isn

McTell

Twitter
No
The same David Reich has just launched a book on ancient DNA and the big story.

What racial diffs there are, are along the lines of "Black men have 1.7 times as many prostate problems as whites". 70% more.

But most men don't have prostate problems, and we are probably not looking at all of the white- and black-skinned people in the world, just yanks.

Reich has an interesting take on difference, as mostly we aren't very different from chimps, and there are no "races". He looks at one bit of DNA from 4 sources - chimps, ancient dna, and 2 living humans. Then he sucks air in thru his teeth, pauses, and pronounces how similar or different the results are in that one tiny part of our genome.

But hey, someone's got to do it, right?

Mostly sensible and not wanting to give ammo to anyone in the identity wars.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/mar/29/who-we-are-how-got-here-david-reich-ancient-dna-review

NativeWildCat

I believe a black fella will win the next 5 Olympic 100m finals. That must make me uber racist.

Politics matters

Your belief has no bearing on current scientific knowledge about race and IQ which is the subject of this thread.
But, the other poster is making the argument that there IS racial difference.

Even, saying that is by definition considered racist, but there is a lot of evidence to suggest that the above is true.

DexterGreen22

I believe a black fella will win the next 5 Olympic 100m finals. That must make me uber racist.
I'll see your bet and raise you: Whites or Asians will win most of the medals at swimming and the next intake at Silicon Valley will have more Orientals and Indians than African Americans.

Sync

But, the other poster is making the argument that there IS racial difference.

Even, saying that is by definition considered racist, but there is a lot of evidence to suggest that the above is true.
Yet no one’s posted any evidence here to that effect. Funny that.

Again: what is the racial difference between a Hong Kong and Brunei citizens that causes the disparity in IQ scores? Or Zimbabwe and Lesotho?

afns1

I am convinced that European Jews are the only exception to the general rule of rough equality and I see that they are not enough to put Israel up the rankings.
Discussion of this point from one source I just came across:
Another anomaly is that the IQ of Israel is only about 95, which although substantially higher than the median IQ of 85 found elsewhere in the region, is much lower than the IQ of Jews outside of Israel, estimated at between 108 and 115. Lynn breaks the Israeli IQ into three components: 40% Ashkenazim (European Jewish) with a mean IQ of 103; 40% Sephardim (Oriental Jewish) with a mean IQ of 91; and 20% Arab with a mean IQ of 86, which is virtually the same as that of Arabs elsewhere. Lynn suggests these differences could have arisen from selective migration (more intelligent Jews emigrated to Britain and the USA), intermarriage with different IQ populations (those in Europe versus those in North Africa), selective survival through persecution (European Jews were the most persecuted), and the inclusion of ethnic non-Jews among the Ashkenazim in Israel as a result of the immigration of people from the former Soviet Bloc countries who posed as Jews.
https://web.archive.org/web/20140523053724/http://psychology.uwo.ca/faculty/rushtonpdfs/2006 PAID bk rev.pdf

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies