ESRI & IHREC study finds 17% of Irish people think some races are born more intelligent than others

afns1

McTell

Twitter
No
I'll see your bet and raise you: Whites or Asians will win most of the medals at swimming and the next intake at Silicon Valley will have more Orientals and Indians than African Americans.

I agree, but that's for cultural reasons, not skin colour.

Watcher2

are there different IQ tests to take account of the cultural differences? Or different IQ tests that are culture specific so that meaningful comparisons can be made?

Brenny

I discussed this recently on another thread on the same subject. Does anyone actually question what IQ actually signifies? It measures a certain type of intelligence alright, but really fails to appreciate other types.

DexterGreen22

I agree, but that's for cultural reasons, not skin colour.
Why are Blacks in the US faster than Whites over 100m, 200m? Better, generally speaking, at Basketball?

Why are Whites in the US better at swimming? It's not like you need to purchase a hell of a lot of equipment like sailing or equestrian events.

All the record holders appear to be of European stock or Oriental.
https://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/friv/lists.cgi?id=120

African population is 1.2-1.3 billion yet the best times when it comes to swimming are Europeans and Asians.

Gwannow

A very large percentile of people in democratic societies are very stupid - they vote for politicians who screw them and also do dangerous things like go to war. The other large percentile outside of democratic societies are also very stupid because they tolerate people who control them and make their lives miserable and who also go to war. Yes I'd say 17% of non-stupid people would be optimistic.

Newrybhoy

Why are Blacks in the US faster than Whites over 100m, 200m? Better, generally speaking, at Basketball?

Why are Whites in the US better at swimming? It's not like you need to purchase a hell of a lot of equipment like sailing or equestrian events.

All the record holders appear to be of European stock or Oriental.

African population is 1.2-1.3 billion yet the best times when it comes to swimming are Europeans and Asians.
It's a pure coincidence that all the best long distance runners come from Africa.

McTell

Twitter
No
are there different IQ tests to take account of the cultural differences? Or different IQ tests that are culture specific so that meaningful comparisons can be made?

It's a good point.

Our class was tested way back, and a fellow-culchie friend asked me after why they'd asked the name of the edge of the pavement. "Sher it's the pavement, there's a road ... and a pavement". Where we lived there were very few pavements, and so *kerb* wasn't a word anyone needed to use.

I often thought about that after. I'd learned kerb from yankee comics.

Banjo Baker

That has no bearing on the subject of this thread. And if you're going to discuss racial differences at least get a bit more up to date than 19th century classifications based on skin colour - we have mapped the human genome by now, you know. There is more genetic variation between different ethnic groups in Africa than there is overall difference between black and white, or maybe you could point me to the pygmies and Australian aborigines who have wowed us at the Olympics.
Interestingly both of these on average have the lowest IQs on the planet.

papaquebec

It's a good point.

Our class was tested way back, and a fellow-culchie friend asked me after why they'd asked the name of the edge of the pavement. "Sher it's the pavement, there's a road ... and a pavement". Where we lived there were very few pavements, and so *kerb* wasn't a word anyone needed to use.

I often thought about that after. I'd learned kerb from yankee comics.
It's spelled "curb" in America.
Given it's meaning it's probably more accurate.

Cruimh

Ulster University withdraws status from Prof Richard Lynn - BBC News

Ulster University has withdrawn the emeritus title from psychology professor Richard Lynn.

Prof Lynn taught at UU and some of his work has proved controversial.

He has argued that people from east Asia have a higher average IQ than Europeans and that men have a higher average IQ than women.

The university said it had made its decision "following due process and considering all relevant information".

McTell

Twitter
No

Hardly a surprise... :roll:

Mental illness is the single largest cause of ill health and disability in Northern Ireland(NI). In children and young people symptoms of a mental illness may manifest indifferent ways to adults.

NI has higher levels of mental ill health than any other region in the UK - 1 in 5 adultsand around 45,000 of children here have a mental health problem at any one time

http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/globalassets/documents/raise/publications/2016-2021/2017/health/0817.pdf

After unity, these won't figure in the HSE stats.

afns1

storybud1

He was never a scientist, or even close. Anyone who argues that a fifth of a standard deviation on IQs is hugely significant probably isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.
The Nobel Science Awards and general reality will differ,, it is what it is and there are many reasons,

A thirst for knowledge is boring, a thirst to get to the next level of science is exciting, nobody gives a rats ass if some mickey mouse "minority" which are actually a majority in population terms in the world can repeat some crap already known, what we care about is actual breakthroughs , nuclear fusion, hydrogen fueled cars/transport, space exploration etc,

Some German, Swiss kid will come up the breakthrough for space travel and that's it, some PC Snowflake minority kid comes up with the design for the cup holders and the PC fascists make it sound like he was "instrumental" in the whole project,

example,

Red Tails = Tuskagee Black pilots in WW2,, complete PC, utter crap,
Hidden Figures = Nasa Black girls working in the Maths department , again, insulting to black people that they need Hollywoods help in establishing facts that they are not stupid, PC business selling ,,

It is a funny world but imagination and dreamers change the world, PC will never change anything because it is modern communism,

Fallacy Police

Yet no one’s posted any evidence here to that effect. Funny that.

Again: what is the racial difference between a Hong Kong and Brunei citizens that causes the disparity in IQ scores? Or Zimbabwe and Lesotho?
The people in Hong Kong are mostly Han Chinese. The people in Brunei are mostly Malay.

It could be that these people have different IQ scores because they are genetically distinct people who have not had much admixture.

This fact does not mean that a population of Africans could never have an average IQ of 100, but it would require many generations of selective pressures to make that happen, and in the modern age of welfare statism and foreign aid that won't happen.

Fallacy Police

I discussed this recently on another thread on the same subject. Does anyone actually question what IQ actually signifies? It measures a certain type of intelligence alright, but really fails to appreciate other types.
All types of intelligence can be measured in IQ tests. There is no single kind of IQ test.

People confuse skills with intelligence. Creativity is a skill, not a sign of intelligence, although having more intelligence certainly helps to make the most of that creativity.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies