• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Estate Agents, Do they go to class to learn how to lie..

Sangreel

..so well? I dropped a tidy amount to buy a place outside Sligo town and when I asked for a surveyors report the agent and the owner got upset. Demanded to know why and gave me all sorts of grief.
Found out the water supply was illegally taken from the local water scheme and had been for years. Property tax not paid, sewer fee not paid and outstanding liens attached to the property. Turns out the estate agent and the solicitor knew about the problems and chose to try to guilt trip me into closing on the place by telling me over and over again how "poor" the sellers were and that the issues were not big ones..ete. etc. etc.

This is the 3rd time I have run up against this type of B*LLS*IT when trying to buy a home here.
As god is my witness it really seems that estate agents and solicitors go to school to learn how to lie like a pro. No wonder Ireland is in such a bad financial state. My wife asked me today why in h*ll did we ever move back to the land of liers and thieves?

I had no reply then to hang my head in shame. The only thing I could do is walk away from the sale and get my cash back.

A view from England

Report them.

And your wife is a wise woman. Treasure her...
Completely agree. There must be some professional body that solicitors have to sign up with. I'd write formally to them with all the evidence, including the report you had commissioned.

Well done by the way for undertaking proper due diligence.

Belodedici

This is Ireland, what do you expect?

There will always be a cute whore

Prester Jim

..so well? I dropped a tidy amount to buy a place outside Sligo town and when I asked for a surveyors report the agent and the owner got upset. Demanded to know why and gave me all sorts of grief.
Found out the water supply was illegally taken from the local water scheme and had been for years. Property tax not paid, sewer fee not paid and outstanding liens attached to the property. Turns out the estate agent and the solicitor knew about the problems and chose to try to guilt trip me into closing on the place by telling me over and over again how "poor" the sellers were and that the issues were not big ones..ete. etc. etc.

This is the 3rd time I have run up against this type of B*LLS*IT when trying to buy a home here.
As god is my witness it really seems that estate agents and solicitors go to school to learn how to lie like a pro. No wonder Ireland is in such a bad financial state. My wife asked me today why in h*ll did we ever move back to the land of liers and thieves?

I had no reply then to hang my head in shame. The only thing I could do is walk away from the sale and get my cash back.
You HAVE to report them and if there is no success there name and shame them.

firefly123

Standard practice cute hoorism that is endemic in the 'professional' classes. It's ingrained in the culture. Report it and follow it up

Sangreel

This is Ireland, what do you expect?

There will always be a cute whore
Agree.. I did send a strongly worded letter to the agencies and the water scheme, only to have their solicitor threaten to sue ME!!
I told her to bring it on as I have paid 350 euro to have a surveyor insure my ar*e was protected. Never heard anything back. What pisses me off is this is the 3rd... 3rd time this has happened. Might not be the same issues but the same type of lies. I do wonder if its the reason why the property market is so screwed right now...... I have lost all respect for estate agents. I knew solicitors were not to be trusted but now I find that I just don't trust anyone I have to pay money for a service in Ireland right now.

Agree.. I did send a strongly worded letter to the agencies and the water scheme, only to have their solicitor threaten to sue ME!!
I told her to bring it on as I have paid 350 euro to have a surveyor insure my ar*e was protected. Never heard anything back. What pisses me off is this is the 3rd... 3rd time this has happened. Might not be the same issues but the same type of lies. I do wonder if its the reason why the property market is so screwed right now...... I have lost all respect for estate agents. I knew solicitors were not to be trusted but now I find that I just don't trust anyone I have to pay money for a service in Ireland right now.
Well, from my own experience of getting land in Sligo serviced by a group water scheme, I feel your pain. Some very dodgy shenanigans go on there...

SayItAintSo

Did you get your own survey done before closing the sale? If so you might have some recourse from them as they should have picked up these problems I'd imagine.

Edit: I see from your post you paid E350 for a survey. Surely you must have a case against them for not picking up the problems?

Last edited:

cricket

There seems to be no standards applicable to the auctioneering/mortage sector, whatever about solicitors.

EUrJokingMeRight

Rednecks.

wishywashy

There seems to be no standards applicable to the auctioneering/mortage sector, whatever about solicitors.

And there never was. The developers,bankers and politicians rightly get it up the hoop for the bust. In fact its arguable that the auctioneers/estate agents weren't the biggest culprits such were the lengths they would have gone to in order to make a sale. They played the biggest part in inflating property prices.

noodles

Physical problems with the property/ boundary problems - sue the surveyor who gave you incorrect information

Items like lien on property, unpaid taxes/ bills attaching to property you sue the solicitor.

These people are incompetent not liars. The items you mentioned above come up in most property purchases. You hire professionals to act on your behalf and solve these problems.

I have to wonder what kind of person moans on a website about serious problems yet seems incapable of beginning to address the problem.

Bren Boru

Because this kind of stuff doesn't happen in ANY other country in the world.

Every other country is just so honest. This problem is confined to Ireland.

Don't be so naive.

SayItAintSo

If there a liens on the property and unpaid tax then your solicitor has not done his job properly.
You can certainly complain to their professional body.

Sangreel

Because this kind of stuff doesn't happen in ANY other country in the world.

Every other country is just so honest. This problem is confined to Ireland.

Don't be so naive.

I had a real snarky reply, but I see that it would be wasted on you.

Dublin 4

The Law Society of Ireland, as the regulatory body for solicitors, can help you if you think you have a complaint about a solicitor.

Complaints the Society may Investigate
The Society may investigate complaints against solicitors made by or on behalf of clients (including beneficiaries) alleging:

A. Inadequate Professional Services

This is defined in Section 8 of the 1994 Solicitors (Amendment) Act as services which are inadequate in any material respect and are not of a quality that could reasonably be expected of a solicitor or a firm of solicitors.

B. Excessive Fees

The Society can deal with a complaint by or on behalf of a client that a bill is excessive.

The Society is not permitted to consider any complaint about a bill that is more than five years old.

A client also has the option, within a year of delivery of the bill, of requesting his solicitor to refer the bill to the Taxing Master.

C. Misconduct

The statutory definition of Misconduct in the Solicitors Acts includes but is not restricted to:

Conduct tending to bring the solicitors’ profession into disrepute.
The contravention of a provision of the Solicitors Acts 1954-2002, or any order or regulation made thereunder.
More information

See the steps to take to make a complaint
For more information on the complaints that the Complaints and Client Relations Section can investigate, and what they cannot do, see the information booklet "Complaints About Solicitors".
Download the complaint form.
Contact Us

Complaints and Client Relations Section, Law Society of Ireland, George's Court, George's Lane, Dublin 7.

Tel: 01 879 8700, fax: 01 879 8785 or email complaints@lawsociety.ie.

Letters and emails will be answered as soon as possible, but the Complaints and Client Relations Section cannot give you legal advice or arrange legal representation.

You must send an original signed complaint and once an investigation commences, communications with the Complaints Section should be in writing.
Making a Complaint - Law Society of Ireland

Dublin 4

Anything else? :p

Maybe I can build ya a fkin house myself petunia

Ya should be shot for wantin to live in Sligo anyway - kip :lol: