• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

ET can't fone home: Gvmt 2 get power 2 shut down fone networks

ShoutingIsLeadership

It emerged yesterday that the Government is to tag an amendment to a bill currently going through the Dáil [Criminal Justice (Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing) (Amendment) Bill 2013], in which it will create powers which allow parts of mobile phone networks to be shut down.

According to RTE.ie:

Under the amendments, a direction may be issued to mobile phone service providers to shut down services in areas where there is deemed to be a threat to life or property, in limited areas.
It's all related to the upcoming G8 summit (which, while taking place in Fermanagh, is nonetheless taking place in a different jurisdiction).

RTE.ie says:

The minister said it was possible terrorist groups may use the G8 Summit to garner publicity for themselves, but that was not to ignore the very real danger of loss of life if such a device were successfully detonated
Is this appropriate?

Is this big brother gone mad?

Has the Minister been put under pressure to introduce these laws?

New law would allow for mobile phone shutdown - RTÉ News

Last edited:

Congalltee

Seriously, are thread titles like this going to become the norm? Amend title or zoo?

Ren84

Assad reads this and thinks, "why didn't I think of this?"

BTW, my old English teacher would be distraught at the thread title. :(

'orebel

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
It's all related to the upcoming G8 summit (which, while taking place in Fermanagh, is nonetheless taking place in a different jurisdiction).
Thats probably true. Shutting down mobile phone coverage has for some time been a tool in the arsenal of law enforcement in various countries. After the Boston bombings for example, mobile phone networks were cut. There have been more localised examples in Europe as well, where targetted criminals or areas are isolated from mobile phone signals. The only surprise is that no provision has been in place to do this in Ireland before now, especaily as some of the very first examples of bombs detonated by mobile phone took place in here.

Clanrickard

Is this appropriate?

Is this big brother gone mad?

Is the Minister been put under pressure to introduce these laws?

New law would allow for mobile phone shutdown - RTÉ News
This is more securocrat mania. Shatter never saw a bill giving more power to the government he didn't like. Why oh why are bringing this in I just do not see the point. Anyone planning to blast the G8 will have been planning it for months. Like a lot of security measures it will discommode the ordinary citizen.

firefly123

Hmmm.
A warning comes in of a Bomb that detonates by remote control via mobile phone. Government has power to temporary shut down mobile network and save lives vs me not able to update Instagram with a picture of my sandwich?
Well don't thread on me you fascists!!!

Remember the tyranny that existed 15 years ago when noone had mobiles? T'was hell so it was!

Aindriu

I would think that ll sensible Western European states have this right anyway. It's prime aim is to allow the shut down of phone networks when their is an imminent threat of a bomb being detonated by mobile phone.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Thats probably true. Shutting down mobile phone coverage has for some time been a tool in the arsenal of law enforcement in various countries. After the Boston bombings for example, mobile phone networks were cut. There have been more localised examples in Europe as well, where targetted criminals or areas are isolated from mobile phone sugnals. The only surprise is that no provision has been in place to do this in Ireland before now.
Yes, but in Boston the network was shut down AFTER the attack, not in case there was one

D

Dylan2010

A pity the people didnt have the power to cut communications the night Lenny was taking orders from Geithner and the gang on the bank guarantee.

zakalwe1

all you need now is to wire the bomb to blow when mobile signal ceases.

firefly123

all you need now is to wire the bomb to blow when mobile signal ceases.
Jaysus. Any bombers living near me might get an unpleasant surprise if they did that!

richie268

The 30 day ban on the sale of pressure cookers is already in place.

zakalwe1

and if you wanted to be pedantic....
ET created a microwave radio transmitter, not a phone.
i wonder what ET'd make of the samsung galaxy 4 given its technological superiority to his mcgyver effort...