ETA announces plans to completely disarm.

Breanainn

Personally, I've always taken a keen interest in the political developments of the Basque Country, as there was a local tradition of hosting teenage students from that troubled region. Anyway, ETA have followed the IRA path, and announced plans to disarm, though it's unclear if they will disband completely. Hopefully, a bloody era has permanently ended, and all sides will be permanently committed to the political path.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/17/basque-separatist-group-eta-announces-plan-lay-down-weapons?CMP=twt_gu

GDPR

The PIRA was a credible fighting force when it entered into the Peace Process. It is a long time now since the ETA were. Hopefully this will get prisoners out of a jail but even here I'm not sure. The Madrid government is a lot more committed to a unitary state than London is as regards the UK.

Telstar 62

Surrender monkeys like PIRA, and the 1916 traitors......

Birds of a feather......;)

Schmetterling

Personally, I've always taken a keen interest in the political developments of the Basque Country, as there was a local tradition of hosting teenage students from that troubled region. Anyway, ETA have followed the IRA path, and announced plans to disarm, though it's unclear if they will disband completely. Hopefully, a bloody era has permanently ended, and all sides will be permanently committed to the political path.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/17/basque-separatist-group-eta-announces-plan-lay-down-weapons?CMP=twt_gu
This is way off topic so ignore it if you think that's best, but your post brought up a long gone memory. I grew up in England with Irish parents and we used to have kids from the North stay with us during the summer sometimes (early to mid 70s I would say). I remember a couple of lads in particular, one who was so lonesome for his mother and another who was bored to death with the mundane life in a not very interesting Midlands town. Do you know what this programme was and where I could find some information about it?

Fullforward

This is way off topic so ignore it if you think that's best, but your post brought up a long gone memory. I grew up in England with Irish parents and we used to have kids from the North stay with us during the summer sometimes (early to mid 70s I would say). I remember a couple of lads in particular, one who was so lonesome for his mother and another who was bored to death with the mundane life in a not very interesting Midlands town. Do you know what this programme was and where I could find some information about it?
They most likely were Catholic children who were sent away to safety to avoid the baying Orange mobs who were intent on burning their Families out of their Homes. Lots of them were also sent to towns and villages all over the 26 Counties.

Schmetterling

They most likely were Catholic children who were sent away to safety to avoid the baying Orange mobs who were intent on burning their Families out of their Homes. Lots of them were also sent to towns and villages all over the 26 Counties.
Yes, I understand why they were sent to us, I just wonder if anyone has any specific details of the programme that arranged such holidays/breaks? I was a young teenager at the time so didn't question very much, I was just happy to have the excitement of new young people staying in our house. I didn't appreciate the gravity of the situation at that time.

caledhel

I had the pleasure of a brief holiday in the Basque country. I thought the people excellent, the land beautiful and the food delicious. I'm glad that peace has come to them. They will do well.

New Threads

Most Replies