• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Ethnic cleansing of border protestants?

WilliamLee

Drogheda445

O'Sullivan Bere

The upside is that this evening I see Protestant and Catholic churches enjoying Xmas in Donegal services with no bother at all. :cool:

eoghanacht

Christmas is a very sad time for many in NI. There will be many empty places at tables around the country tomorrow.
Why is it only nordies that missed their dead over the season? You do realise the rest of us have feelings yeah?

Troy_337

Roadside memorials are unwelcome sites in many communities, even when it memorializes death by car accident. One of the problems is that it invites gatherings in neighborhoods whose residents had nothing to do with the murder. Thirty-five years is a long time for some people and the widow should find other ways to celebrate the life of her dead husband.

O'Sullivan Bere

Aye, and I'm off fishing on Boxing day with a catholic work buddy. things ain't that bad as some would like to believe.
Of course not. I'm here for Xmas to see my kin and my Catholic gf and haven't gotten killed. (If you later find my body though due to her it likely wasn't sectarian in nature. ;)) We shopped and then ate dinner yesterday at the Waterfoot Hotel in Derry and nobody hammered her. We went Cityside for pubs and I didn't get hammered. Life isn't usually as bad as the headlines at all.

Last edited:
C

Castle Ray

Why is it only nordies that missed their dead over the season? You do realise the rest of us have feelings yeah?
Is there something you disagree with specifically in my post or are you just picking a silly schoolyard fight?

eoghanacht

Is there something you disagree with specifically in my post or are you just picking a silly schoolyard fight?
Note to self any critique of CR no matter how inane his/her comments are is silly schoolyard behaviour.

Shall I wait around for you to call me a sectarian bigot?

jdaly

1.The memorial should have been left alone.
2.There is no Belleeks to Crossmaglen road but it always sounds good to bring Cross' into the story.

Ren84

Ethnic Cleansing? Ah here, I'm sure Bosnian Muslims or Rwandan Tutsis would have something to say about it. Cop on, leave it out till after Xmas.

C

Castle Ray

Note to self any critique of CR no matter how inane his/her comments are is silly schoolyard behaviour.

Shall I wait around for you to call me a sectarian bigot?
Ok then let's here it, just what bit of what I wrote do you disagree with?

eoghanacht

Troy_337

Widow condemns theft of husband

Thought this was a thoroughly depressing but very interesting article in the Newsletter, coming shortly after border prods brought their concerns to Dublin. One of those aspects of the troubles that is being rewritten if not wilfully fogotten.

Border Protestants bring burden to Dublin - Headlines - Belfast Newsletter
In regard to the first article on the widow whose roadside memorial to her husband was removed; that memorial was there 35 years, yes?

And you've heard about the Newtown massacre of 20 children and six teachers last week...Today all the flowers, gifts and teddy bears were bull dozed away, the same day of the last funeral! The national flag that had flown at half-staff since the day of the tragedy was returned to the top of the pole too.

What these two stories have in common is their dysfunctional response to their respective tragedies. In the first case we have a widow trespassing in order to grieve her loss,--for Newtown it's a callous response by community leaders and residents to put an end to all the negative publicity the massacre has generated for the town.

Last edited:

Popular Threads

Most Replies