EU bans anti-acne treatment

Dame_Enda

The bureaucrats in Brussels have banned the sale of certain products containing Benzoyl Peroxide. Benzoyl Peroxide is found in a number of anti-acne products. Before the ban, I used to buy Quinoderm to control my acne. Thankfully I have one tube left from years ago which works well on any pimple, acne or otherwise. But it wont last forever.

Anyone else discommoded by the ban? Any word on if/when it will be lifted?

Last edited:

Deadlock

The bureaucrats in Brussels have banned the sale of products containing Benzoyl Peroxide. Benzoyl Peroxide is found in a number of anti-acne products. Before the ban, I used to buy Quinoderm to control my acne. Thankfully I have one tube left from years ago which works well on any pimple, acne or otherwise. But it wont last forever.

Background? Links?

ger12

Aren't you curious as to why this ingredient was banned?

artfoley56

The bureaucrats in Brussels have banned the sale of products containing Benzoyl Peroxide. Benzoyl Peroxide is found in a number of anti-acne products. Before the ban, I used to buy Quinoderm to control my acne. Thankfully I have one tube left from years ago which works well on any pimple, acne or otherwise. But it wont last forever.

a rash decision?

I'll get my coat

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
This article also mentions how another anti acne treatment PanOxyl has been removed from shelves because BP is not EU approved ingredient.

Mystery of vanishing 'miracle' acne cream: Why has PanOxyl been discontinued? | Daily Mail Online
Does the word "carcinogenic" not mean anything at all to you?

The Daily Mail(!) article you link to (a) claims, entirely untruly, that the ban was without explanation, (b) neglects to mention cancer and (c) embarks on a misleading, anti-EU weasel-worded explanation based on "concerns about supply of non-EU approved ingredients."

Last edited:

silverharp

Aren't you curious as to why this ingredient was banned?
the flip side is why its normal OTC in the US and side effects seem to be mild.

GDPR

Because there is pretty strong evidence benzoyl peroxide is a free radical agent in producing the conditions necessary to get skin cancer.

Stop. Using. Harmful. Chemicals. On. Your. Face.

silverharp

Does the word "carcinogenic" not mean anything at all to you?
this appears to be the FDA view

https://facerealityacneclinic.com/acne-information/is-benzoyl-peroxide-safe/

SUMMARY: We, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), are issuing this final rule to include benzoyl peroxide as a generally recognized as safe and effective (GRASE) active ingredient in over-the-counter (OTC) topical acne drug products. In addition, this final rule includes new warnings and directions required for OTC acne drug products containing benzoyl peroxide. We are also revising labeling for OTC topical acne drug products containing resorcinol, resorcinol monoacetate, salicylic acid and/or sulfur to meet OTC drug labeling content and format requirements in a certain FDA regulation. This final rule is part of our ongoing review of OTC drug products and represents our conclusions on benzoyl peroxide in OTC acne drug products.

Additional points of interest:

They did not find BPO to be a genotoxic substance, which basically means they do not believe that it damages DNA. They go on to add that even though BPO has been shown in research to create oxidative damage, that in humans, there are oxidative repair mechanisms that would likely prevent benzoyl peroxide from causing DNA damage.

They did not find BPO to be carcinogenic. They state: “We have reviewed a number of animal studies examining the carcinogenic potential of benzoyl peroxide and conclude that benzoyl peroxide is not a carcinogen.” They also determined that there was no evidence to indicate that BPO is a photocarcinogen.”

GDPR

The FDAs standards are a good deal less stringent than Europes, as the hormonal beef they regularly pass indicates.

Next ...

forest

say what

I suffer from adult acne which as actually got worse in the last few years
I am currently using a refined version of BP

But BP is found in most acne products
when is this ban coming into effect

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com

Dame_Enda

say what

I suffer from adult acne which as actually got worse in the last few years
I am currently using a refined version of BP

But BP is found in most acne products
when is this ban coming into effect
Which product is it? Is it non-prescription?

raetsel

If the Brexiteers get their way in the UK, don't be surprised if they re-instate licences for DDT and asbestos, re-introduce smoking in restaurants (nice on Nige!) and have the population eating chlorinated chicken and hormone "enhanced" beef.

Britain could slash environmental and safety standards 'a very long way' after Brexit, Tory MP Jacob Rees-Mogg says | The Independent

New Threads

Most Replies